Help me choose between 2 itineraries

Baires

Hi! My wife and I are planning our first cruise ever, and we're having trouble choosing between two options on the Liberty of the Seas. Anybody who have been to these ports care to weigh in?

Option 1:

Day Port *** Arrive Depart Activity

17-Oct Miami, Florida 4:30 PM

18-Oct Cruising

19-Oct Labadee, Haiti 8:00 AM 4:00 PM Tendered

20-Oct Ocho Rios, Jamaica 9:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

21-Oct George Town, Grand Cayman 8:00 AM 4:00 PM Tendered

22-Oct Cozumel, Mexico 10:00 AM 7:00 PM Docked

23-Oct Cruising

24-Oct Miami, Florida 7:00 AM

Option 2:

24-Oct Miami, Florida 4:30 PM

25-Oct Cruising

26-Oct Cruising

27-Oct Philipsburg, St. Maarten 9:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

28-Oct Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas 8:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

29-Oct San Juan, Puerto Rico 8:00 AM 2:00 PM Docked

30-Oct Labadee, Haiti 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Tendered

31-Oct Cruising

01-Nov Miami, Florida 7:00 AM

Which one should we do? We like to know new places and cultures, so we would definitely want to explore the ports of call. Not so big on shopping for souvenirs, so that's not a huge factor.

Thanks!

Well, basically you are deciding between and Eastern or Western Caribbean cruise. Both are very good and interesting and you will have a great cruise either way. You will visit Labadee on both....always fun and it can be a quiet beach day or busy with activities.

That said, hubby and I prefer the Eastern. We love St. Thomas..such a beautiful port..take the tram to Paradise Point for a great view of the harbor and ships. Just sitting onboard and watching the harbor and the pontoon planes land is interesting. St. Maarten is very nice as well...take a tour of the Dutch and French sides or do the America's Cup Race..our kids loved that. Great beaches as well. San Juan is so interesting..climb the hill to the fort(s) and take a tour (self guided) and the view is wonderful and its really cool up there with the wind off the sea.

Like I said, either is good. Just take one and plan on another cruise to take the other (some folks do a back to back.)

Deb

Everyone is going to have their own opinion----including me!

Hands down - eastern route! My favourite ports are St Thomas and St Maarten! It also looks like the eastern route is an 8 day and the western is a 7? We did an 8 day a couple of years ago and loved the extra day at sea. That is another thing to think about.

Hi! My wife and I are planning our first cruise ever, and we're having trouble choosing between two options on the Liberty of the Seas. Anybody who have been to these ports care to weigh in?

Option 1:

18-Oct Cruising

23-Oct Cruising

Option 2:

25-Oct Cruising

26-Oct Cruising

31-Oct Cruising

Which one should we do? We like to know new places and cultures, so we would definitely want to explore the ports of call. Not so big on shopping for souvenirs, so that's not a huge factor.

Thanks!

Just took a quick look and it appears that the Oct. 24 itinerary is less expensive in all categories than Oct. 27. No brainer IMO - I'd take that one. It also has the extra day, so you get four ports plus a third sea day to "relax and recover" from all the going and coming. There are lots and lots of things to do on the Freedom-class ships, and with the crowds on board an extra day will most likely allow you to enjoy some things you wouldn't have time or opportunity for otherwise.

Happy Sails,

Annette

We doing the Western route in Nov and are looking forward to it. We've already been to Grand Cayman & Cozumel (on a Carnival cruise) but the kids wanted to try the Flowrider, so we're on the Liberty.

We did the Eastern route on the Explorer, but didn't go to Labadee. We enjoyed St. Thomas & St. Maarten, but weren't crazy about San Juan. It could have been because it was HOT HOT HOT and the kids were miserable.

I found I did ALOT more shopping on the Eastern itinerary than I did on the Western.

If you enjoy learning about new cultures I would definately choose the Western route. I'm gonna get flamed for this but Jamaica is my favorite island. IMHO they have the most vibrant culture in the Caribbean. They also have a lot of history behind them. The Jamaican people are a fun and friendly group. The food, music and people are the best. Also once out of the city, the island is beautiful. But on the other hand Puerto Rico is very cool too. The food there is fantastic and El Yunque rain forest is a great place to see. It is the only rain forest on American soil. Whatever you choose you will have a great time.

You can't lose either way. I would prefer the 10/24 itinerary mainly because I've been to Jamaica many times (land and sea) and would prefer to skip it and see something different. That's the reason we are taking the Serenade to the Southern Caribbean next June and not the Liberty.

It's a win-win...both are good itineraries. I agree with Annette...I would pick the 8 night Eastern as my choice simply for economic reasons. After your 1st cruise you will be hooked and then you can book the Western Caribbean itinerary.

Charlie

As others have said, it's a very personal decision. My favorite caribbean area is southern, which shares some ports of call with the area identified as Eastern.

I've been to all of these ports, so I can give you my opinions below. They won't necessarilly be YOUR opinions.

Option 1:

18-Oct Cruising

Labadee is a relaxing "beach day" port. The private island is a somewhat manufactured paradise, but very beautiful. The zip line looked great, but too pricey for my taste. We just relaxed on the beach. There are hammocks and lounge chairs. You purchase drinks with your Sea Pass card, since the cruise line owns the resort. A BBQ lunch is served, courtesy of the ship.

I avoided this port for years and years, eliminating any itinerary that included Ocho Rios. I'd heard bad things about it. We visited there in January on Freedom of the Seas and really liked it. I heard some passengers were offered drugs. We were not. Sales people are VERY pushy, like on many of the islands. If you stick to the tourist areas, you should be fine. We climbed the Dunns River Falls, then headed over to Margarittavilles (walking distance from the ship). We really enjoyed this port. It has a very different terrain than Cozumel and Grand Cayman, so it makes for some nice variety.

The sting rays are cool. I've done various sting ray excursions several times now, so I'm pretty much Grand Caymaned out. It's a small and very safe island featuring the beautiful 7-mile beach. I may get flamed, but I think 7-mile beach has a rather inflated reputation. Many other Caribbean islands have beaches which are every bit as lovely. You have another chance to experience Jimmy Buffet's Margarittaville here on Grand Cayman - right across the street from the pier.

You won't find many (if any) people trashing Cozumel. It's touristy, but there are a TON of things to do in this port so you can visit it more than once.

23-Oct Cruising

Remember, you'll tender into several ports on this cruise, which can be a pain. Not only does it eat up a lot of your time in port, but it means standing in lines and not being able to get back on the ship for a quick lunch break or change of clothes. I prefer cruises with ALL docking ports whenever possible. Just something to think about.

Option 2:

25-Oct Cruising

26-Oct Cruising

How do you feel about having back-to-back sea days up front? I like my days at sea, but I think two in a row - right at the start of my cruise - might be frustrating. That's just me.

Generally a cruise passenger favorite. This Dutch/French island has something for everyone. Several of the most beautiful and popular beaches are topless - some nude - so take care if you're easily embarrassed or traveling with kids. It's less prevelant than I expected as most American tourists are far too conservative to shed their clothing. (Myself included!) If you go to the shopping area near the ship, take the water taxi. It will cost you the same as the car taxi, but its SO much more pleasant!

Another cruise passenger favorite. I prefer to take the ferry to St. John when I'm in St. Thomas. St. Thomas is far more developed and tourist-oriented. St. John, except for Trunk Bay (lovely, but crowded), is virtually undeveloped. There are easy (short and flat) trails you can take to ruins and private beaches. We found ourselves on a beach with less than 5 other people. We snorkeled with star fish, sting rays and sea turtles - none of whom reacted to us with fear. It was amazing. My very favorite place in the world!

We were in San Juan one night, prior to our first cruise of the southern Caribbean. We were pretty unimpressed. If I port here, I'd venture away from the city. I understand the rain forest is beautiful. I wouldn't mind doing the Bacardi factory tour either.

Described above. This is a nice relaxing way to finish your cruise. A warning: RCL allows locals to come into a specific area of the resort to sell their wares. You'll get good prices, if you can stand the pressure. I couldn't. I've never experienced more pushing sales people. I literally RAN from the marketplace.

31-Oct Cruising

You have received wonderful tips, another factor I personally uses, is the length of times you will be spending in the Ports. We have done the E Caribbean and loved it. It appears the 2nd Itnerary gives you longer stays at the Ports, so really depends on which ports you might prefer of the others. I also do a Web search on the Ports to see which appears more appealing.

I'd pick the 8 night cruise! You would get an extra day, and the 8 night cruise is cheaper! (unless you are in a suite) :D

very good point.8 days vs 7 plus a lower price.All new islands for the OP. St Maarten is the nicest of the lot IMHO

:cj

In my opinion, it all depends on what you want to do.

From my experience, Eastern Caribbean cruise itineraries are GREAT shopping ports. Western Caribbean itineraries are great for ADVENTURE.

I like adventure... we can go shopping anytime.

I like the Western option

18-Oct Cruising

19-Oct Labadee, Haiti 8:00 AM 4:00 PM Tendered (Beach Day. Maybe go on the zipline or the jetski tour)

20-Oct Ocho Rios, Jamaica 9:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked (Climb Dunn's River Falls... go ahead... just avoid the straw market. Pushy vendors)

21-Oct George Town, Grand Cayman 8:00 AM 4:00 PM Tendered (Spend the day at 7-mile beach, or go snorkeling/SCUBA diving. Swim with Sting Rays at Sting Ray City. How many times do you get to do THAT?)

22-Oct Cozumel, Mexico 10:00 AM 7:00 PM Docked (Sure, there's Paradise Beach, but you can swim with Dolphins at Chankunaab National Park, a $6 cab ride from the pier. We booked direct, and saved 20% off RCI's price)

23-Oct Cruising

Of course, the 8-day Eastern is nice.

In St. Thomas, we always get lunch at Gladys Cafe in the Royal Dane Mall (or Royal Dutch Mall). There's Magen's Bay, once voted the world's most beautiful beach... and the Duty Free limit in St. Thomas is huge. You can buy the most stuff there than on any other island.

St. Maarten is nice. There's a French side and a Dutch side. Orient Beach on the french side is a nudist colony... and it sits right next to a Butterfly farm. I picked up a really good Rolex knock-off there once.

San Juan is kinda cool. Old San Juan is fun to walk around. There's a company called "The Butterfly People" which makes art using butterflies. Met the owner/artist on our last trip to San Juan. We make it a point to purchase a small piece of art there, and we have some wall space dedicated to the butterflies. Bacardi Rum factory tour is cool, the free samples at the end are REALLY cool. They have the rain forest 1/2 hour away from San Juan people go on. The forts, of course... El Morro Castle is definitely worth a trip to... and... did you know that the cobblestones in old San Juan are so old, and so well fitted, that they individually number them so if they had to do work on the road, they would go back in exact order. They are irreplaceable (who knew). Learned that on a horse and buggy ride.

Also... even though it's McDonald's... it's worth the trip to eat FRIED apple pies... just like McDonald's used to do before we got all healthy.

Archived