Panama Canal Cruise Question

mysusie45

Cruise in December has us "Panama Canal Scenic Cruising" from 6 am to 2 pm the next day. What does this mean? This is not a complete transit cruise so I assume we are turning around in a lake and heading back to LA but what does the ship do for those 32 hours? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Check your dates. Usually the scenic cruising is just the one day, from 6-2. The ship goes through the locks and stops in the lake to let tours off, and then turns back around and goes to the port to pick them back up. If youve never done Panama before, and dont have a reason that you cant take the tender boat, I strongly suggest a tour. We enjoyed the full transit experience on the small boat (one of the tours).

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

Cruise in December has us "Panama Canal Scenic Cruising" from 6 am to 2 pm the next day. What does this mean? This is not a complete transit cruise so I assume we are turning around in a lake and heading back to LA but what does the ship do for those 32 hours? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
You're on the 19-day round-trip cruise out of LA. I took that cruise last November.

What that means is that the ship will arrive at the first locks at about 6am. That doesn't necessarily mean that you'll go through the locks at that time. That's up to the Panama Canal Authority. The ship will go through the locks and anchor in Gatun Lake overnight and will raise anchor and sail back through the locks the next day.

On our cruise, our time to sail back through the locks was changed twice while we were in Gatun Lake. Princess had a number of excursions set up and booked and all had to be canceled except one to the new locks the evening we arrived in Gatun Lake. A lot of people were upset and disappointed but it wasn't Princess's fault.

No matter what, it was a great cruise and I'd love to do it again.

Check your dates. Usually the scenic cruising is just the one day, from 6-2. The ship goes through the locks and stops in the lake to let tours off, and then turns back around and goes to the port to pick them back up.
This is incorrect with respect to the OP's cruise out of LA. The ship anchors in Gatun Lake overnight, arriving day 1 and sailing back to LA the next day.

This is incorrect with respect to the OP's cruise out of LA. The ship anchors in Gatun Lake overnight, arriving day 1 and sailing back to LA the next day.

How very interesting Pam. I would have thought 2 days meant:

Day 1 - Tender in to Panama City

Day 2 - Partial Transit/sit in Gatun Lake.

What is there to do on an overnight in Gatun Lake?

You're on the 19-day round-trip cruise out of LA. I took that cruise last November.

The ship will go through the locks and anchor in Gatun Lake overnight and will raise anchor and sail back through the locks the next day.

Believe that only those on Princess excursions are allowed to tender off the ship. Correct? This is the way it is on the partial transits through the Atlantic locks.

Catch mosquitoes! :)

Hank

Interesting! I've done partials, but only out of Florida. I didn't know that they did it differently.

I was one of the lucky ones to take the tour to the new locks. (Yes, only ship tours in Gatun Lake.) It was a really nice tour and the bus drove literally over the new lock gates. In another year or so, you won't be able to do this as they are building a bridge.

You're right. Not much to do there unless you take the tour.

Because of the Panama Canal Authority decides when a ship goes through the locks, tours weren't available for booking until shortly before sailing. Even then, all except mine were canceled because of changed times. Some people canceled their cruise because no tours were posted. Don't know if this is a problem that Princess can fix as it's out of their control.

Catch mosquitoes! :)

Hank

LOL... I know you are sort of kidding, actually in late December (the OP's cruise) is not a bad time of year for the skeeters, as well as the April cruise for the other poster. Besides while anchored in Gatun Lake will even provide a pretty good buffer from them.

Interesting! I've done partials, but only out of Florida. I didn't know that they did it differently.

They ran this partial transit itinerary from the Pacific side a few years ago, but stopped. I believe last year was when they reintroduced it. Really is a great itinerary as compared to the partial transits from Florida. The partial transits from Florida only traverse about 8 miles of the Canal, where the partial transit from California takes you through over 40 miles of the Canal. This allows to see the most attractive parts of the Canal... twice!

I've booked the April 2018 19 day LA roundtrip. There are no tours listed for this sailing. When did your show up with the itinerary?

We are also on this cruise and I am wondering the same.

I just thought we went through, spent the day in the water then went back through the next day.

It would be great if there are excursions.

We are on the 9/23 cruise that Slomo is on as well , I have been checking the web site to check on Canal excursions , nothing yet , hope they post them soon. We have been through the Canal 3 times we love that cruise , and also were in port at Panama City , great time there. Will have to see what happens I guess. Thanks Pam for the information regarding the excursions on your cruise before.

jnc411