Alaska 2018 - Skagway on a budget?

geomancer

Have a cruise booked in late August 2018 from Seattle up to Alaska and back (Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas).

We have good ideas of what to do in the ports, except for Skagway. All we're seeing is shopping in town (something that doesn't interest us) and then a few other activities. The problem we're having is those few activities are charging the same (or more) than the cruise line itself. As an example, for us (family of three) it would cost $450 to go on a 5 mile hike :eek: Yes, a hike is $150/person. A train ride would cost us $650, as a point of comparison taking Amtrak from Boston to Seattle is only $465.

A rental car seems to be ~$150 which is extremely high, but more reasonable than that hike!

Does anyone know of options that are within walking distance, or do NOT charge cruise ship prices? Or if we rent a car, the name of some places we can drive to so I can look into them?

I've a feeling this stop is simply going to be a ship day. We'll walk around town, might as well since we'll be there, but this town looks to be too rich for our blood.

Also, on a lighter note I have another simpler question that I didn't feel needed it's own thread. Are the swimming pools on deck heated? Looks like the mid 50's are the average highs that time of year.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!

Over on the Alaska board there is a great deal of information that might help you. On our first trip we downloaded hiking trail information and did the hike on our own - free. This next time we are renting a car to drive to Emerald Lake and then up toward Yukon. Also check out other excursion vendors on a site like Trip Advisor - we do a lot of reading and evaluating the reviews, and have found some great excursions that way.

We rented a car when we went and drove up to Whitehorse. Made several stops along the way including Carcross Desert, town of Carcross, and Emerald Lake. The whole trip including the car was less than $100. Best shore excursion we have ever done. Saw plenty of scenery and wildlife. Even made it back to town in time to shop and eat.

JB

Another vote for renting a car in Skagway!

The cost of the car divided by 3 gives you a good comparasion to excursions. The round trip drive takes from 3 to ??? hours, depending on how long you stop to look/photograph.

The drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake w/ a stop in Carcross is easy -- just stay on the Yukon Highway. Fabulous scenery!

We travelled independently using the Alaska Marine highway to get to Skagway and found that the town is totally geared towards cruise passengers. We booked the train ride which was excellent on the White pass website. The first few carriages are saved for cruise passengers and the train goes down to the docks to pick up the cruise passengers, other travellers get on in the town and slot into the remaining seats. It seemed as though virtually every shop in Skagway offers discounts to cruise passengers

We travelled independently using the Alaska Marine highway to get to Skagway and found that the town is totally geared towards cruise passengers. We booked the train ride which was excellent on the White pass website. The first few carriages are saved for cruise passengers and the train goes down to the docks to pick up the cruise passengers, other travellers get on in the town and slot into the remaining seats. It seemed as though virtually every shop in Skagway offers discounts to cruise passengers

There are five different trains that run each day when ships are in port. One goes all the way to Carcross, which is a 67 mile ride. It is the first to leave, and is the shortest train with only one locomotive and six passenger cars. We booked it in advance through Chickoot Tours and they usually book the last car on the train, which is what we were in on our excursion last month. The return trip is on a motorcoach. Or, take the motorcoach to Carcross for the afternoon return trip to Skagway on the same train.

Another train goes to Fraser one way, also with a return on a motorcoach. A third train goes roundtrip to Bennet and back. Another goes roundtrip to Summit and back. And another one is a steam train that goes to Fraser and back.

Hi

I would agree that the car rental would be the best priced method to see the most. One main benefit is that you have control over the itinerary.

We only went as far as Emerald Lake and then returned. It wasn't a long ride, but we did stop many times to take in the scenery and/or take pictures. It isn't your end point that is the main interest, it is what you will see along the way. People pay hundreds of dollars to go essentially along the same route by train, you will be able to continue and see even more by car.

I did want to mention that if you are considering this choice, you will need a passport, since you will be entering Canada.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

.... People pay hundreds of dollars to go essentially along the same route by train, you will be able to continue and see even more by car.

Well, no, not quite. The advantage of taking the train is that for much of it's run it is in areas you can't get to by car. One place I remember clearly is that just outside the window of our train we could see the last remnants of the original path taken by the stampeders. Can't see that from a rental car. And riding along the shore of Bennet Lake for nearly it's entire length, with the shoreline just a few feet away, is impossible by car.

Each mode of transport has it's benefits. No need to imply that people are wasting "hundreds of dollars" by taking the train. Using your logic, the same could be said about the cruise itself: "people pay thousands of dollars to spend a few hours in a few ports, you will be able to spend more time and see even more by car".

Well, no, not quite. The advantage of taking the train is that for much of it's run it is in areas you can't get to by car. One place I remember clearly is that just outside the window of our train we could see the last remnants of the original path taken by the stampeders. Can't see that from a rental car. And riding along the shore of Bennet Lake for nearly it's entire length, with the shoreline just a few feet away, is impossible by car.

Each mode of transport has it's benefits. No need to imply that people are wasting "hundreds of dollars" by taking the train. Using your logic, the same could be said about the cruise itself: "people pay thousands of dollars to spend a few hours in a few ports, you will be able to spend more time and see even more by car".

Hi

Yes, I agree that the train will bring you where the road doesn't and vice versa, but the point is that the road is longer than the specific train route, so you can venture further than the train. So it is different, and you are on your own schedule. The train doesn't stop because I see something of interest to me. Each has their own benefits.

In regards to the hundreds of dollars, I guess I was just trying to emphasize the $500 dollars that the OP feels they would save driving vs. train excursion, could possibly allow them to experience a memorable day while staying on a budget.

Why not just stay in Skagway? It's a nifty town -- touristy but quite pleasant. There is also a hike from the town that takes you up to a higher elevation, for views of the area. All free. There should be info about the hike on a Skagway website, or on the Alaska board.

Hi

Yes, I agree that the train will bring you where the road doesn't and vice versa, but the point is that the road is longer than the specific train route, so you can venture further than the train. So it is different, and you are on your own schedule. The train doesn't stop because I see something of interest to me. Each has their own benefits.

In regards to the hundreds of dollars, I guess I was just trying to emphasize the $500 dollars that the OP feels they would save driving vs. train excursion, could possibly allow them to experience a memorable day while staying on a budget.

Very true that in a car you are on your own schedule and can stop where you want. But one reason for taking an excursion, be it by train or bus, is that everyone can watch the scenery, including the person who would have been the driver of the car. I have always disliked being the designated driver whenever it was my turn. As a driver, your most important job is to drive safely, not watch scenery. I always felt it a disadvantage to be the driver when everyone else would be oohing and aahing at the scenery that I could not focus on while still being a responsible and safe driver.

It is great for the passengers, but not so great for the driver. Not so sure the driver would have as memorable a day as everyone else in the car. I know I would not if I were driving.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

At this particular moment, we're planning on staying in town and doing the hikes (we like hiking) and also attending the ranger led tours in town. Since we don't cruise until next year, we are not able to look at reservations for pretty much everything but the cruise itself.

So who knows, if cars end up being really cheap reserving so far in advance maybe we'll change our minds. We do already have passports, so that's not an issue.

Appreciate the advice!

We enjoyed renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake. Be sure to get Murray's Guide before you go if you want to do this. On another trip, we hiked to the Gold Rush cemetery and Lower Reid Falls, followed by going to Jewell Gardens and a hike to the overlook and then Yakutania Point before crossing the pedestrian bridge to get back to our ship. Another time we booked an independent kayaking excursion in Chilkoot Lake near Haines. That involved taking the ferry from Skagway to Haines. It was terrific--just the two of us in individual kayaks with a guide. There were ship-sponsored excursions at the lake the same day--with people put in triple kayaks with a guide for every seven or eight kayaks. We were able to go farther and see more because we weren't held back by slowpokes (other than DH).