for those on fall sailings in Eastern Canada

poss

Yes, I agree that Regent did the right thing. In fact, though, I think they may not have had a choice, i.e. I think maybe the Canadian government required these changes. Not sure about that. Yes, disappointing, but not as "disappointing" (understatement) as dead right whales.

I'm confused. I just spoke with a Regent Rep about the situation. He said he knew nothing about any changes, and I said "But...." So he contacted Regent Operations, which stated that absolutely there'd been no changes, that Mariner was definitely going to visit Sydney as scheduled. So who knows? Anyway, if I'm responsible for spreading rumors, I sincerely apologize; I hate that! I just thought others might be interested in the news (or fake news?)

Something is going on because the excursions I had booked for Gaspe and Charlottetown (PEI) have been cancelled on the website, and the map now shows stops in Corner Brook and Havre-Saint-Pierre instead of Gaspe and Charlottetown.

I'm confused. I just spoke with a Regent Rep about the situation. He said he knew nothing about any changes, and I said "But...." So he contacted Regent Operations, which stated that absolutely there'd been no changes, that Mariner was definitely going to visit Sydney as scheduled. So who knows? Anyway, if I'm responsible for spreading rumors, I sincerely apologize; I hate that! I just thought others might be interested in the news (or fake news?)

According to the article, Sydney has been substituted in for Gaspe or Charlottetown. So if a stop in Sydney was already scheduled (as it is for a cruise I'm on next year), it would be unaffected.

WishIwere: The article says (unless my eyes are deceiving me) that on the Oct. 27 (2017, surely) cruise, the port of Sydney has been cancelled and that a sea day has been put in its place.

tallship: yeh, I know. Bummer all around. Definitely not real excited about this cruise. But, obviously, compared to what much of the world, not to mention our own country, is going through, this should be a joy ride.

You're fortunate that you have new ports: our itinerary just adds another sea-day.

And I do feel that something is awfully strange when I learn about the cancellation from a website (i.e. this one) several days before Regent acknowledges it.

I still haven't heard word one from Regent and our cruise departs 10/7. Looking at the map, I have a feeling they are going to switch the sea day from 10/12 to 10/10, but no info and nothing about excursions (or about refund of the charges for the Malpeque oyster farm that we now can't do in Charlottetown). We're traveling with 2 other couples and they wouldn't know about this change if I hadn't been reading this board.

Cool Fool: I'm sorry to hear that. It appears to me that in this regard Regent has been irresponsible to its passengers, but I'm hoping I'm mistaken. I.e., I hope there's a simple explanation-- something I'm not understanding-- that explains why this news was learned first somewhere else. I actually wrote a new post to that effect, but I see that a number of people have read it, and either don't think the matter is worth speaking to, or simply don't know the answer.

Do you have a good travel agent?

• 3 weeks later...

poss - first have to say that we are happy to see you on the board. Hope that the damage to your home wasn't too bad.

In terms of Regent, I don't think that people will think I'm making excuses for them when I remind you that Regent headquarters is in Miami and I know that they did not have power less than a week ago and am not certain when the power returned. For that reason, as stated on their website last week, they were working with a skeleton crew. Their priority was likely ships that were at sea and/or expected to depart from or return to Miami.

Hopefully Regent will contact TA's and let them know what is going on in Canada.

Please read the following articles to understand why the cruise lines must make the changes to their itineraries. Even though it is disappointing to have the changes made, it is for a very good reason rather than the cruise line just making changes on a whim. I wish Regent and the other cruise lines affected had sent out these links to passengers.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3662707/north-atlantic-right-whales-protection-canada/

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/fisheries-very-concerned-over-death-of-10th-north-atlantic-right-whale

Our Navigator cruise from Montreal to Iceland last month had to skip Prince Edward Island for this reason. The replacement port of call, Corner Brook in Newfoundland, is an absolute waste of time . . . see the blog I wrote about my cruise on this Forum.

I'm surprised we were done for speeding as the captain made repeated announcements about the cetacean issue, our change of course and our low speed.

Edited by Fletcher

The Navigator is not the only ship to be fined for exceeding the speed; the Canadian Coast Guard also received the same fine as one of their ships also did the same thing.

Fletcher, I'm sorry that your visit to Corner Brook was "an absolute waste of time", as there are many reasons to visit the area. Of course, it is not PEI which would have been a fabulous port. Hopefully, now that Regent has to change the ports, there will be shore excursions that highlight the different areas on the changed itineraries.

For those of you who will be sailing on future cruises, I suggest writing/e-mailing/researching on the web the ports on your sailings. We have just celebrated Canada 150, and there is lots of information out there.

The Navigator is not the only ship to be fined for exceeding the speed; the Canadian Coast Guard also received the same fine as one of their ships also did the same thing.

That really made me laugh (not that anyone was speeding but the fact that it was the Canadian Coast Guard).