B2B Turnaround in Singapore

DaisyRose

Hi All,

We have booked a B2B on Sapphire, with turnaround day in Singapore. We are scheduled to dock at Marina Bay Cruise Terminal. Does anyone know if Princess might offer any excursions for B2B passengers? We really want to see Jurong Bird Park. Although it is only about 20 miles from the cruise terminal, we are not comfortable trying to do it on our own, as we don't know what time we will be allowed off the ship, and I understand there is a lot of traffic in Singapore. If no excursions, does anyone know if there is anything we could walk to from the cruise terminal? Thanks in advance.

The Marina Bay cruise terminal is a fair distance to walk to anywhere interesting, and Singapore is very hot and humid all year round. The best way to get around Singapore is by train. There is an MRT station quite close to the cruise terminal.

You can get to Jurong Bird Park by public transport. Last time I went there, admittedly some years ago, I caught the MRT, East/West Line (Green) to Boon Lay and then the 194 bus. it was very easy to do. From the cruise terminal, MRT station Marina South Pier on the North/South line (Red), go two stops to Raffles Plaza and change to the Green line there.

Princess might offer excursions for B2B passengers, but you may not know until you board the ship.

However, I doubt they would have an excursion to the bird park as I would not expect sufficient demand for that with the limited number of b2b passengers.

Thank you both for your very helpful responses.

Hi,

We have been to Singapore many times due to family living there and usually use taxi's to get about if the MRT is too complicated. I would be surprised if the cost of the fare was more than US$30 each way to the bird park. The drivers, as with most cities, know the shortcuts! If you are looking for something else nearby then may I suggest:

www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/en.html

located behind the Marina Bay Sands Hotel.

We have been twice recently and really enjoyed it for 4/5 hours.

David

Thank you TrueBlue66. How can we get to Gardens By The Bay?

Take MRT from Marina bay south pier (cruise centre only couple minutes walk) red line one station to Marina Bay you then change for Bay front station. Cost under $3.

Alternatively get off at Marina Bay walk to Marina Bay Sands have a look around there go up and see the infinity pool then walk to Gardens of the bay.

Or a taxi from the cruise centre takes under 5 mins and would cost around $5.

Or you can walk in less than 1/2 hour

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you to TrueBlue66 and RaeBay. Gardens by the Bay sounds like a nice place to visit. I appreciate the suggestions and the instructions. I think we'll try to get there on turnaround day if we are allowed off the ship early enough. Maybe we'll save Jurong Bird Park for disembarkation day with a one night stay in Singapore before heading home. I appreciate the help of all my Cruise Critic friends.

Hi,

I recently was in Singapore (April 2017) following a short World Cruise segment on the Queen Mary 2. I stayed at the Marina Bay Sands Hotel and absolutely loved Singapore! I also highly recommend Gardens by the Bay. This is a fairly short taxi ride from the ship and absolutely incredible. If you go, be sure to visit the Flower Dome and Cloud Forest. These are enormous clear domes that are air conditioned. They have an amazing variety of plants, waterfalls, etc.

The nearby Marina Bay Sands Hotel also is spectacular and worth exploring. The hotel's famous pool is limited to hotel guests, but the SkyPark Observation Deck is open to the public and offers stunning views (it is on the 57th floor) of Singapore.

Enjoy your time in Singapore!

Chuck

As a previous poster mentioned - Gardens by the Bay is a fantastic place to visit. The domes are amazing. After going there, you can go for a short work to the Marina Bay Sands - they have quite a few amazing shops and eating places in there at ground level. But if you need to catch a Taxi - all the drivers are very honest and fares are really cheap compared to other countries we have been. Just remember though - they don't expect to be tipped - although we sometimes just round up to the next dollar. We have been to Singapore at least once a year for the last 12 or so year. I love the place. So easy to get around. mummsie

I agree with what everyone else above has said:)

We did a B2B on the Sapphire from Singapore and loved it, will be back there next year.

If you only have one day and havent been before I would spend it getting to know the city, I am sure you will be back again!!

Re Gardens by the Bay, if you are doing it in the day, which you will be on a turnaround day, go earlier in the morning as it gets hot walking around, unless you are in the Domes of course.

For a nice lunch, head to Satay's by the Bay, it is within the of Gardens by the Bay compex along some beautiful walkways. Lot's of different stalls to choose from.

You could walk over the bridge and do the Singapore Flyer, then get the MRT back to the ship.....or take a bum boat ride on the river which will give you a good view of everything.

A lot more great information, thank you everyone! My cruise is 19 months away, but I can't wait! Lots of time to make decisions and do some planning. Everyone's information is very helpful. I was especially glad to hear that taxi's are honest, that is something I sometimes worry about in countries I am not familiar with. Do you know if taxi's take US dollars, or should I come prepared with plenty of local currency?

Daisy try eating at as many Hawker centres as you can. Our cruise in April next year leaves from Singapore and we are flying in 3 days before just so can go to the Hawke Centres that we want to repeat. Spent 6 days there last year so have done a lot of the tourist sites, but not all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I never heard of "Hawker Centers" before, so I googled it. Turns out it seems to be an area with lots of different food stalls with lots of different kinds of foods you can try. Looking at some of the offerings, there were many words I do not recognize. Since I never eat anything if I don't know what it is, I can see that I have a LOT of homework to do before my trip to Singapore. Thank goodness I have a lot of time for my research. Thanks again everyone for all the great tips.