Food and water safe to consume?

LindaKE

Bottled water is fine. Do not drink tap water and avoid ice cubes in drinks.

My advice is what a travel doctor recommended to us when traveling. Eat food that is hot and cooked. Avoid things like salads and fruit without a peel.

Keith

Actually ice is fine. Most places use ice makers with filters or bagged ice. We spend 2 weeks every January there and have never had issues. We have ice in drinks but stick to bottled water. We eat fresh fruits and salads with zero problems. We even eat where the locals eat and don't aboid anything unless it looks suspect or we know we don't like it

All of the tourist spots use purified water for cooking and ice - avoid the taco cart in the street and you should be fine. That said, there might have been some bad ice in that 12th margarita that had a bad affect on me! ;)

All of the tourist spots use purified water for cooking and ice - avoid the taco cart in the street and you should be fine. That said, there might have been some bad ice in that 12th margarita that had a bad affect on me! ;)

Lol yeah no way it was the 12th margarita it had to be the ice;p

Well, I've eaten at loncherias downtown as well as a couple of carts that serve breakfast tacos etc. to locals and at the blue taco truck that used to be across from the International pier (not sure if its still there) and beaches on the east side where there's no electricity. Have yet to connect with Montezuma's Revenge.

As has been said most tourista places and resorts are fine, even the salads, water and ice.

I normally wouldn't post again but I feel compelled to.

Maybe I am anal when it comes to this but it is best to be safe then sorry.

To me you are much safer to have food that is cooked and to avoid ice and to stick with things like bottled beer.

I have not had a problem with eating food off the ship but I have been with others who have.

We all react to food and beverages in different ways.

In the end it is a personal choice but I would rather be safe then get sick and ruin a couple of days of the cruise.

Keith

We're going on an excursion that includes lunch. Since it is a Carnival excursion, would we be safe eating whatever is offered? The food is apparently local. Or should we take our own bottled water etc.? Also, I've seen posts about the availability of cold drinks and snacks. Would these be safe to consume if we're more like Keith and very cautious about what we ingest?

We're going on an excursion that includes lunch. Since it is a Carnival excursion, would we be safe eating whatever is offered? The food is apparently local. Or should we take our own bottled water etc.? Also, I've seen posts about the availability of cold drinks and snacks. Would these be safe to consume if we're more like Keith and very cautious about what we ingest?

The standards should be high since it is a Carnival Cruise Line Excursion.

I'm still careful though with what we have on excursions.

I am sure there will be some good choices for you.

Keith

Is it safe to consume the local food and water? Also, would bottled water be bottled locally as is often the case in the states or imported from the US?

Thanks in advance.

Read the Passion Island thread above this one. So far 3 seperate travel groups on the same excursion got sick from either alcohol or ice. We were fine eathing the food. I would play it safe with the liquids. Or just a coincidence I dunno.

We have vacationed in Cozumel 3 separate times, as well as multiple visits to the island via cruise ship. We have eaten everything (hot food, salads, beer, iced drinks) with no problems.

It may have been mentioned already, but even the locals drink bottled water. Local water is too mineralized for consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

this comment is basic cruiser paranoia. street cart food is fine if they cook it while you are watching.

no need for the paranoia

this comment is basic cruiser paranoia. street cart food is fine if they cook it while you are watching.

It's really not.

Maybe it's me getting older and speaking with travel medical experts. We also had a terrific one a few years ago on a world cruise we were on.

Yes, I used to get street food too in places such as NYC. Today, no. I won't.

Singapore. Yes. Highest standards of anyone.

In some places I wouldn't get bottled water say from a street vendor unless it is the fizzy kind in port. Some places is the key. Why? Because in some places they will remove the water and fill it with tap water.

Even in the USA there are issues.

I have seen too many people over the years come back from various places and end up sick including Noro Virus.

So yes, as I have gotten older I am more careful what we eat and where we eat. If that is paranoia so be it. However, it's never fun to get ill and certainly less fun when on travel.

To me it is no big deal to use extra caution so yes that includes no ice in my drinks. Yes, I can have a beer out of a bottle or a can of soda or a bottle of water.

If it's overkill I would rather be safe (safer( then sorry.

And all places are not the same as we know in the USA as well.

And I love salad but when out in many countries I won't do it. Yes, I take the travel doctors advice and have items that are fully cooked and that includes vegetables and I will have fruit where you can peal the skin.

I realize that nothing is fool proof. But I figure a little extra care is the way to go and that's what I do if asked. :)

Keith

It's really not.

Maybe it's me getting older and speaking with travel medical experts. We also had a terrific one a few years ago on a world cruise we were on.

Yes, I used to get street food too in places such as NYC. Today, no. I won't.

Singapore. Yes. Highest standards of anyone.

In some places I wouldn't get bottled water say from a street vendor unless it is the fizzy kind in port. Some places is the key. Why? Because in some places they will remove the water and fill it with tap water.

Even in the USA there are issues.

I have seen too many people over the years come back from various places and end up sick including Noro Virus.

So yes, as I have gotten older I am more careful what we eat and where we eat. If that is paranoia so be it. However, it's never fun to get ill and certainly less fun when on travel.

To me it is no big deal to use extra caution so yes that includes no ice in my drinks. Yes, I can have a beer out of a bottle or a can of soda or a bottle of water.

If it's overkill I would rather be safe (safer( then sorry.

And all places are not the same as we know in the USA as well.

And I love salad but when out in many countries I won't do it. Yes, I take the travel doctors advice and have items that are fully cooked and that includes vegetables and I will have fruit where you can peal the skin.

I realize that nothing is fool proof. But I figure a little extra care is the way to go and that's what I do if asked. :)

Keith

Obviously people do get sick in Mexico but three million people go to Mexico every year as tourists and survived it quite nicely it's up to the traveler if they want to fear to be their driving force or if they want the experience to be there driving force fear is your driving force and that's obviously your choice.

I am only giving my opinion and my opinion still allows them to enjoy eating off the ship.

And I don't think my posts are trying to scare someone by using extra caution.

Oh well. Let's just agree to disagree on this one.

Keith

1 million US expats live in Mexico and eat the local food and do just fine

I was at a day resort that everyone on here uses and I was drugged. I am a middle aged female. I had a pina colada & some guac and within 10 minutes it was apparent what had happened. Fortunately I was able to immediately get a taxi back to the ship although I was very much struggling. I made myself vomit and pieces of pills were in the guac. I had not eaten anything but a danish earlier, It took about 24 hours before I returned to normal. It was likely Xanax that had been crushed (I say this with confidence as I have knowledge of Rx meds because of my job). Since that time I have found dozens of people who have had similar things occur in Cancun & Cozumel. My advice is to take your water off the ship with you along with a protein bar or some granola and do not eat off the ship. I was one of the lucky ones.