Virgin Atlantic

Beachvue

Flying Virgin Atlantic upper class (Airbus 330-900) JFK/London and Delta business Class (Boeing 767-309) Stockholm/JFK.  Looking for opinions on which seating arrangements are good for couples. TIA.  

Any pair in the center will be the best for couples.  That is, if you want seating where the couple can interact and talk during the flight.  But even there, you will have separation.  Biggest question would be, do you want your side-table to be on your right or on your left?

Personally, Mrs FT and I rarely take the two seats together.  Much prefer the privacy of the single window seats, especially those closest to the window.  Plus, you will be wanting to sleep on the way to LHR, so how much do you really need to be together?

Now, put us in Q-Suites and it's a different story.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Now, put us in Q-Suites and it's a different story

I just got back flying Qsuites yesterday with my significant other.  We had the close middle seats that face backwards.  This configuration definitely makes it easier to share a conversation. I also appreciated the fact that the two flight attendants serving our respective aisles coordinated their various  services to really treat us as a couple. 

I will be interested to see how the new version of Qsuites turn out.  I also hope Qatar Airways using this new product to refresh some of their other aircraft like the A350-900's to the Qsuites standard.  It's almost disorienting connecting between a Qsuites and non-Qsuites flight as you feel completely out in the open after being in your own little world on the previous flight. 

My only other comment regarding Qsuites is that you need to use the flight attendant call button when you want something rather than waiting for them to check in with you. 

57 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

My only other comment regarding Qsuites is that you need to use the flight attendant call button when you want something rather than waiting for them to check in with you. 

Yes, that's part of an interesting dynamic for business class service.  There are airlines where the FAs are almost constantly roaming the cabin, and others where they await the call button and jump into action between scheduled services for meals and drinks.  The move towards doors in business is, IMO, moving more service to "call button" dynamic.  Guess the feeling is that if you have the door closed, you want to be left alone.

The double bed config is probably my favorite business class seating when with Mrs FT.  Enough so that I will take a positioning flight just to get them.

• Like 1

And I forgot to mention business class service on USA airlines.

You might get your meal, you might get your drink.  Heaven forbid that you would want a refill or something else during your flight, other than the minimum service requirement.  And if you push the call button, either a) the crew develops instantaneous deafness or b) the glaring scorn will remind you to never do it again.

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy Asian and Middle East carriers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We are looking to book Virgin for our Alaska cruise out of Seattle June 2025 as they offer direct flights from London, is it best to book as soon as they are available for best price or wait a bit, ive been watching the same dates for 2024 and to me it looks like they get more expensive as you get nearer departure date? we'd be looking to book Economy Delight or possible Premium (business) if we can get a good deal. thanks in advance 🙂

1 hour ago, 2BACRUISER said:

is it best to book as soon as they are available for best price or wait a bit, ive been watching the same dates for 2024 and to me it looks like they get more expensive as you get nearer departure date? we'd be looking to book Economy Delight or possible Premium (business) if we can get a good deal.

Very important: Virgin Atlantic's "Premium" is not business class. It's premium economy. Business class is branded "Upper Class" (which is an old joke dating right back to the founding of the airline).

As a generalisation, price will tend to rise as you get closer to the date of departure. But you do not necessarily get the lowest price if you book as soon as booking opens. This is not a first come, first served industry; despite the generalisation, there are occasions when the best prices end up being those available just before departure. You can never tell (until the aircraft has departed).

• Thanks 1

I'll echo the sentiment above...unless you're using mileage (and even then sometimes), being the first to book isn't often advantageous. Many times, airlines throw a rate out there to see if anyone will buy, and if not they'll lower it. There's sadly no sweet spot, but "Day One" is rarely best. 

On 4/9/2024 at 7:00 AM, Beachvue said:

Flying Virgin Atlantic upper class (Airbus 330-900) JFK/London and Delta business Class (Boeing 767-309) Stockholm/JFK.  Looking for opinions on which seating arrangements are good for couples. TIA.  

You might want to look at this post, part of an over-the-top trip report, on Flyertalk.  If you're in one of Virgin's older cabin configurations, expect a pretty uncomfortable time of it.  

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36160807-post21.html