Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Thank you so much for your helpful information. I appreciate that you take the time to try to help me. I can see so many things that I would like to see in Stockholm, but unfortunately they only give us a limited amount of time.

I have a rough idea of a plan and have a couple of questions. Our boat docks at Frihimnen, berth 634. I know that we can walk down the pier and take bus #76 to Gamla Stan. I know we can take a taxi as well. I have learned on these forums that taxis wait in the parking lot outside the Viking Line Terminal. But where is that is relation to Frihimnen? Is it easy to find? If a bus is convenient when we get off, then we can take a bus, but if not I will go for the taxi. Where should I tell the taxi to drop us off? By the cathedral?

We will stroll through Gamla Stan, taking our pictures to arrive at the boat dock for Djurgarden. I am not sure where we walk to get that boat ( I know southeastern tip) , but I think it is Slussen or else near the Grand Hotel. Is there a certain name of the boat? My husband is going to go to the Vassa Museum and I will go to Skansen. I think the boat goes to both stops. I am going to go to Skansen for 2-3 hours, then walk to the Vassa Museum to meet up with my husband. I know it is not ideal, but I will pick the things that interest me the most. Seeing some of it is better than none of it. Is it easy to find the direction in which to walk from Skansen to Vassa?

From here, we are going to take a taxi to the ice bar. I think taxis leave from Stockholm's leisure park which is 200 meters to the right when you go back to the main road outside of Vassa. Is this hard to find? I am not sure how long is 200 meters. Is it about a 20 minute taxi ride from there?

Then we will see the Ice Bar. I think it is near a train station, but I am not sure how to get from there back to Gamla Stan. Can you help me with that?

The remaining time we will shop, go in the Storkyrkan cathedral, & take one of the boat rides at Gamla Stan that you sent me. I see there is a royal canal tour for 50 minutes. I printed their schedule. From Gamla Stan, I am not sure how to get back to the boat in Frihimnen. Do one of these boats go near there? Is there a company that will bring us closer to the cruise ship in Frihimnen? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Thats a lot of questions but I''ll start off with a few comments.

- The Viking terminal is in Stadsgården harbour, not at Frihamnen harbour. The Stadsgården harbour, is 2 miles south of Frihamnen and on a different island.

- The ferry from Slussen to Djurgården is named "Djurgårdsfärjan". The ferry stops somewhere between Vasa and Skansen.

- Vasa opens at 8.30 during summer but Skansen not until 10.00 as far as I know.

- Skansen is big and quite hilly.

- Its a bit over half a mile between Vasa and Skansen main entrance even when you know the shortest way. Using the main road it is longer.

- 200 meters = 656 feet

- There is some 1.6 miles between Vasa and the ice bar. Time depends much of the traffic situation as the route goes though the commercial center but I think is should take less than 20 minutes.

- I really recommend you walk from the ice bar back to Gamla Stan if you are up to it. First to Sergels Torg (that's the tricky part) and then following Drottninggatan, the citys main pedestrian street, with lots of stores and shops that will lead you straight to Västerlångatan, the major street of Gamla Stan. The route would be 3/4 of a mile.

- The Cathedral (Storkyrkan) is located in the middle of Gamla Stan next to the Royal palace. Most of Gamla Stan is pedestrian streets so the Cathedral cannot be reached by taxi.

Edited by Ultima Thule

- I really recommend you walk from the ice bar back to Gamla Stan if you are up to it. First to Sergels Torg (that's the tricky part) and then following Drottninggatan, the citys main pedestrian street, with lots of stores and shops that will lead you straight to Västerlångatan, the major street of Gamla Stan. The route would be 3/4 of a mile.

- The Cathedral (Storkyrkan) is located in the middle of Gamla Stan next to the Royal palace. Most of Gamla Stan is pedestrian streets so the Cathedral cannot be reached by taxi.

Storkyrkan is accessible by taxi via Slottsbacken.

And here is Thule's route:

https://www.google.se/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d2215!2d18.0615921!3d59.331326!4m23!3m22!1m5!1sIcebar+Stockholm+by+Icehotel%2C+Vasaplan+4%2C+101+37+Stockholm!2s0x465f9d607fff44d9%3A0x2fb52fcb5bc7a52b!3m2!3d59.33216!4d18.056594!1m4!3m2!3d59.326507!4d18.0687339!6e2!2e2!3m8!1m3!1d4431!2d18.0618384!3d59.3309196!3m2!1i1920!2i836!4f13.1!4i2&fid=0

Google maps does not want to co-operate fully so here is a written description:

1. Walk out to Vasagatan.
  2. go to the right towards the bridge which is Klarabergsviadukten.
  3. Walk up the stairs to Klarabergsgatan.
  4. Continue straight ahead until you get to Drottninggatan.
  5. Take a right turn onto Drottninggatan.
  6. Continue straight ahead until you reach Västerlånggatan.

Also here is an alternate version of Thule's route from the icebar to Gamla Stan:

https://www.google.se/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d4430!2d18.0621943!3d59.3319821!4m34!3m33!1m5!1sIcebar+Stockholm+by+Icehotel%2C+Vasaplan+4%2C+101+37+Stockholm!2s0x465f9d607fff44d9%3A0x2fb52fcb5bc7a52b!3m2!3d59.33216!4d18.056594!1m4!3m2!3d59.326507!4d18.0687339!6e2!2e2!3m8!1m3!1d1108!2d18.0689996!3d59.3261044!3m2!1i1920!2i836!4f13.1!9m5!2m2!3d59.3339496!4d18.0572897!3s0x465f9d672b483e3b%3A0x67549b73ed68954e!4f0.4791221!9m5!2m2!3d59.3341749!4d18.0611211!3s0x465f9d67512f314d%3A0xf0aa3579ed2ac4f0!4f0.1060647&fid=0

1. Walk out to Vasagatan.
  2. Make a left turn and walk along Vasagatan until you reach Kungsgatan.
  3. Make a right turn onto Kungsgatan.
  4. Walk along Kungsgatan until you reach Drottninggatan.
  5. Make a right turn onto Drottninggatan.
  6. Walk along Drottninggatan until you reach Västerlånggatan.

Edited by Desdichado62

• 2 weeks later...
I find this DIY port to be adding up in cost. We plan to do HOHO $40ish, Vasa $20, Royal Palace $23, Gamla Stan/changing of the guards. Total $83 minimum. Would it be worth it for our group of 5 to just take the ship's tour?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I see you are currently online but I don't know how to message you. What did you end up doing for this port??

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are planning to use taxi during your stay in Stockholm.

Here is an article that I would recommend you to read.

It's about the problem with privateers "Impersonating" as drivers for branded legit taxi-companies and advices on how to avoid the privateers.

The biggest problem with these privateers is that they usually charge you multiple times more then a legit branded company driver would.

Unfortunately it's in Swedish only Google translate wasn't able to translate the article by linking it,

so you have to translate the text by copying it into the text box at Google translate.

http://www.alltomstockholm.se/stadsliv/article4084411.aos

Edited by Desdichado62

• 2 weeks later...

The Local have put together of Christmas markets worth visiting:

http://www.thelocal.se/galleries/News/the-ultimate-guide-to-christmas-markets (Stockholm is nr. 6-9)

http://www.thelocal.se/20131128/christmas-markets-in-sweden-the-ultimate-guide

There is also another one that is not listed that I've heard is supposed to be very good.

It is the Christmas market at Utö. Utö is one of the other most islands in the Stockholm archipelago.

It is also possible to combine it with a Christmas buffet cruise with Strömma.

Some more info about the boat trip.

I don't have any personal experience from Utö or the boat trip, but the Christmas markets in Gamla Stan, at Skansen and

at Kungsträdgården are well worth a visit if you are in Stockholm this time of the year. Unfortunately no snow in sight so far. ;)

A few Photos from last year can be found here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=36770531&highlight=stortorget#post36770531

• 2 weeks later...

AT the annual Swedish tourism Gala the most liked tourist Experience have been awarded.

International jury top 3;

1. Icehotel in Jukkasjärvi, Kiruna

2. Vasa museum, Stockholm

3. Abba Museum, Stockholm

3. Aurora Sky Station, Abisko

3rd placed was shared.

Swedish Jury top 3:

1 Strömma Kanalbolag Stockholm archipelago cruises.

2 Abba Museum, Stockholm

3 Icehotel in Jukkasjärvi, Kiruna

full article: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turistgalan.se%2F2013-12-4%2Fbaesta-upplevelsen-i-sverige-utsedd-i-kategorierna-utlaendska-och-svenska-roester

Edited by Desdichado62

Stockholm Port have now updated the ship list for next year;

http://www.stockholmshamnar.se/en/Karta/Vessel-calls/

Thanks for the posting on where the ships dock. Our ship Legends of the Seas for May 15/2014 will dock at berth F638 Frihamenen. Can you help me with a convenient plan for the day.

Thanks Karen

Thanks for the posting on where the ships dock. Our ship Legends of the Seas for May 15/2014 will dock at berth F638 Frihamenen. Can you help me with a convenient plan for the day.

Thanks Karen

To start with since you dock already at 07.30 there is no rush really since

since there is nothing open until 10.00.

Most cruise passengers usually start with the Vasa museum and then heads to the Royal Palace and Gamla Stan.

• 2 weeks later...
How long to tour the Vasa Museum?

I'd say minimum 1 hour is needed for a brief visit.

If you want to be more thorough with doing the guided tour (25min long), watching the short documentary film (17min long) and watching the ship

from all levels and all of the other exhibitions in the museum you probably will need another hour, hour and a half.

• 2 weeks later...

I need help!!! Trying to find a hotel that is within walking distance of major sites. In the old town perhaps? I keep getting conflicting reviews. Could you recommend a few hotels that would fit this description, please. Only in Stockholm one night which will give us about a day and a half to explore so want to be in the main area.

Thanks.

I need help!!! Trying to find a hotel that is within walking distance of major sites. In the old town perhaps? I keep getting conflicting reviews. Could you recommend a few hotels that would fit this description, please. Only in Stockholm one night which will give us about a day and a half to explore so want to be in the main area.

Thanks.

Ok I'll see what I can do, the questions is also what your price level is.

I have stayed at three hotels in Stockholm:

Rex Hotel, Rica Hotel Slöjdgatan and Rica Hotel Kungsgatan.

Hotel Rex is a small three star hotel which I liked but it unfortunately

it is located at the border between Norrmalm and Vasastan and that

is the wrong part of the inner city for you.

Next is Rica Slöjdgatan a fairly big 4-star hotel, nice rooms and a fairly

extensive breakfast buffet served at the big 2 level dining room.

It is located at Slöjdgatan 7 just north East of the central station.

Rica Hotel is a smaller hotel at Kungsgatan 47, two blocks north from Rica Slöjdgatan.

This hotel also have a nice breakfast buffet however the dining room

is quite small and when I stayed at the hotel (in March 2012) the room

became quite crowded and you had to wait in line to be appointed a table.

These are the hotel I have personal experience from.

Rica have a third hotel in central Stockholm located at Lilla Nygatan 25 in Gamla Stan.

I don't have any personal experience from it but the reviews on =0&searchParams.rooms[0].numberOfAdults=2&srsReport=HomePage|AutoS|hotel|rica+|1|0|0|6|5|7|182623&destinationId=182623&searchParams.landmark=&hotelId=182623&roomno=1&rooms.compact_occupancy_dropdown=compact_occupancy_1_2&rooms[0].numberOfAdults=2&landmark="]Hotels.com /tripadvisor gives on average 4.5 out if 5 stars and if it is the same

as the two others Ricas, it should be a good hotel.

The location have a good environment with Gamla Stan and it's close to the ferries to Djurgården/Vasa.

List of other hotels in =0&searchParams.rooms[0].numberOfAdults=2&searchParams.landmark=#dn=Stockholm,+Sverige&cd=25.7.2014&dd=26.7.2014&nr=1&pn=1&upn=0&so=BEST_SELLER&vt=LIST&rl=CITY%3A1270279%3AEXACT_RED%3AHIGH&pfm=1&pfcc=SEK&maxp=5000&sr[]=4&sr[]=3&nids=6052781&r=2&cpr=0"]Gamla Stan (change the date/room configuration to suite your need).

This is the best I can do, it's hard to recommend a hotel that I don't any personal experience from.

Help needed with prioritizing and scheduling for Brillance of the Seas on Monday, July 21, 2014. I'm not sure how much time to allow for transit between locations, how much can be seen in one day and whether it makes sense to use the Stockholm Card vs 24 Travel Pass with ala carte entrace fees vs HOHO boat and ala carte entrance fees. If I can visit all that I want the Card makes sense, but not sure that is possible with port time of 8am to 5pm (assuming a conservative all aboard around 4:00pm).

Below are the sites I'm interested in and the amount of time allocated:

Vasa Museum - 1.5 hours (view film ahead of time on youtube)

Royal Palace (changing of the guard) and associated sites (Armory and Treasury) - 2 hours

Nobel Museum - 1 hour

City Hall - 1 hour

Wandering Gamla Stan for small amount of shopping and lunch - 1 hour

I'm thinking that I would catch the bus to Slussen, hustle over to city hall and book that tour for the end of the day (2pm), then catch the bus to Vasa. After Vasa, bus back to Gamla Stan for changing of the guard if the timing works out, touring Palace, Nobel, Cathedral along with lunch. Back to City Hall for tour, back to Gamla Stan for quick shopping and then bus back to ship from Slussen.

Am I crazy trying to do all of these (probably) and if so, which inside tour(s) would you skip? I would still do a photo opp even if we didn't go inside.

How much time to allow between ship and Slussen?

Is there a bus from City Hall to Vasa, or do I need to walk back to Slussen first?

Have I allocated an appropriate amount of time per stop?

Is there a better order of seeing things?

I'm not sure where we're docking so this is assuming Stansgarden. If the Stockholm card doesn't calculate out the HOHO bus might be the best, but looking for some opinions based on what I would like to see. Like everyone else, I want to see as much as possible, but don't want to be stressed running from place to place.

Thanks so much in advance for any assistance!!

Help needed with prioritizing and scheduling for Brillance of the Seas on Monday, July 21, 2014. I'm not sure how much time to allow for transit between locations, how much can be seen in one day and whether it makes sense to use the Stockholm Card vs 24 Travel Pass with ala carte entrace fees vs HOHO boat and ala carte entrance fees. If I can visit all that I want the Card makes sense, but not sure that is possible with port time of 8am to 5pm (assuming a conservative all aboard around 4:00pm).

Below are the sites I'm interested in and the amount of time allocated:

Vasa Museum - 1.5 hours (view film ahead of time on youtube)

Royal Palace (changing of the guard) and associated sites (Armory and Treasury) - 2 hours

Nobel Museum - 1 hour

City Hall - 1 hour

Wandering Gamla Stan for small amount of shopping and lunch - 1 hour

I'm thinking that I would catch the bus to Slussen, hustle over to city hall and book that tour for the end of the day (2pm), then catch the bus to Vasa. After Vasa, bus back to Gamla Stan for changing of the guard if the timing works out, touring Palace, Nobel, Cathedral along with lunch. Back to City Hall for tour, back to Gamla Stan for quick shopping and then bus back to ship from Slussen.

Am I crazy trying to do all of these (probably) and if so, which inside tour(s) would you skip? I would still do a photo opp even if we didn't go inside.

How much time to allow between ship and Slussen?

Is there a bus from City Hall to Vasa, or do I need to walk back to Slussen first?

Have I allocated an appropriate amount of time per stop?

Is there a better order of seeing things?

I'm not sure where we're docking so this is assuming Stansgarden. If the Stockholm card doesn't calculate out the HOHO bus might be the best, but looking for some opinions based on what I would like to see. Like everyone else, I want to see as much as possible, but don't want to be stressed running from place to place.

Thanks so much in advance for any assistance!!

Your schedule seems a little tight and I don't think everything will be possible

I would start with taking the HoHo boats directly to Vasa from Stadsgårdskajen where your ship will dock.

So something like this:

08.00 Stadsgårdskajen

08.30-09.50 Vasa

10.07 Djurgårdsbron stop

10.07-10.30 Bus+walk to City Hall

10.30-11.45 City Hall

11.45 walk or bus to Royal Palace approx 10-15 minutes

12.15-12.55 changing of the guards

12.55-13.40 treasury and armoury or Nobelmuseum

13.40-15.40 Stroll through Gamla Stan to Räntmästartrappan or Slussen T-bana

15.40-15.55 From Räntmästartrappan to Londonviadukten via Slussen (Katarinavägen)

I think you have to exclude one thing of City Hall, Nobel museum and Armoury/Treasury.

The biggest "problem" with the city hall is that its located slightly "off" compared the all of the other main sights (except Vasa) which are located in the vicinity of each other.

Your schedule seems a little tight and I don't think everything will be possible

I would start with taking the HoHo boats directly to Vasa from Stadsgårdskajen where your ship will dock.

So something like this:

08.00 Stadsgårdskajen

08.30-09.50 Vasa

10.07 Djurgårdsbron stop

10.07-10.30 Bus+walk to City Hall

10.30-11.45 City Hall

11.45 walk or bus to Royal Palace approx 10-15 minutes

12.15-12.55 changing of the guards

12.55-13.40 treasury and armoury or Nobelmuseum

13.40-15.40 Stroll through Gamla Stan to Räntmästartrappan or Slussen T-bana

15.40-15.55 From Räntmästartrappan to Londonviadukten via Slussen (Katarinavägen)

I think you have to exclude one thing of City Hall, Nobel museum and Armoury/Treasury.

The biggest "problem" with the city hall is that its located slightly "off" compared the all of the other main sights (except Vasa) which are located in the vicinity of each other.

Thank you so much for the feedback, I'm thinking the Nobel Museum will be eliminated. I really appreciate the detailed maps!

Edited by RenoDuck

This is my first draft for an itinerary for my husband and I, a couple of reasonably fit seniors. Your comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

9.00-10.30 Nobel museum (Borshuset Stortorget in Gamla Stan 2 blocks from palace)

10.30-11.45 City Hall

11.45-12.00 Walk to Royal Palace approx 10-15 minutes (Kungliga Husgeradskammaren)

12.00-12.55 changing of the guards (stand in front of curved courtyard)

Cathedral (Storkyrkan) is located in the middle of Gamla Stan next to the Royal palace

13.40-15.40 Stroll through Gamla Stan

Thanks!

This is my first draft for an itinerary for my husband and I, a couple of reasonably fit seniors. Your comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

9.00-10.30 Nobel museum (Borshuset Stortorget in Gamla Stan 2 blocks from palace)

10.30-11.45 City Hall

11.45-12.00 Walk to Royal Palace approx 10-15 minutes (Kungliga Husgeradskammaren)

12.00-12.55 changing of the guards (stand in front of curved courtyard)

Cathedral (Storkyrkan) is located in the middle of Gamla Stan next to the Royal palace

13.40-15.40 Stroll through Gamla Stan

Thanks!

Hi there, Essexlass2 :)

Looks like you are embarking on a Baltic cruise. I think you will love it ... I sure did!

We did all ports on our own with the exceptions of St. Petersburg & Berlin. We booked with Alla Tours (for St. Petersburg & Berlin) & I can't recommend Alla highly enough ... fabulous!

Your itinerary looks very doable. Just wondering though, why are you first going to the Noble Museum (which is located in Gamla Stan) and then to City Hall & then back to Gamla Stan? Wouldn't it make more sense to do City Hall first and then head over to Gamla Stan? (BTW ... you can take bus #3 from City Hall to Gamla Stan if you prefer not to walk. Of course, the walk along the water from city hall to Gamla Stan is quite lovely and takes only about 15 minutes.

FWIW, we really enjoyed the Vasa museum (easily accessed from Gamla Stan via the HOHO boat or the Djurgården Ferry) & the coaches museum at the Royal Palace (don't know if you visited the coaches museum in Belem, but there are some pretty cool coaches in Stockholm too). We visited all that you have listed and also managed to visit the Vasa & the Royal Treasury & Coaches museum on our day in Stockholm. Beautiful city with lovely citizens. :)

I still have all my info from our Baltic cruise if you are interested in any info on St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Tallinn, Berlin, Copenhagen and, of course, Stockholm. Hopefully, you still have my email ... if not, it is included in my signature at the bottom of the page.

BTW, I think you will love RCCL. We just returned from a transatlantic from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale aboard the RC Liberty of the Seas. Magnificent ship with very good food & excellent shows. :)

Edited by dogs4fun

To start with since you dock already at 07.30 there is no rush really since

since there is nothing open until 10.00.

Most cruise passengers usually start with the Vasa museum and then heads to the Royal Palace and Gamla Stan.

I think that my plan will go something like this.

Walk around Gamla Stan ( Rick Steeves walk) (get into the nooks and crannies)

Nobel Musuem

Changing of the guard

City Hall for the view

then make reservation for 1:30 for the ICE BAR instead of doing the Vasa Musuem

Does that seem doable ? We are avid photographers so trying to make the best of our day.

Karen

We are staying 2 days ahead of cruise. is an archipelago cruise worth the time since we will be going through on the cruise ship also? thanks

Well I can't tell you if it's worth or not because it's a quite subjective thing.

However doing a full day 11 hour cruise will show you the archipelago from a different view and parts of the archipelago that the

cruise ship won't sail through, as well as a couple of shore excursions, passing through Skurusundet as well as being able to eat really good food.

So worth it or not, I don't know.

I have yet to take this cruise (or a real one for that matter) so it don't have any personal experience from it.

From what I've read the cruise is very good though especially if the weather is nice.

The weather in Northern Europe can be quite unreliable and impossible to know more then a few days in advance what it will be like.

Also note that the cruise only goes on Tueday-Sunday from late June to early August.

-------------

Regarding hotels, I forgot to say that in Sweden breakfast buffet is normally included in the price so you don't have to pay extra for it.