Norweigan Gem just turned around

brooklynphil

I hope that all of you posting ANY level of detail about the medical issue realize that it is ILLEGAL to disclose ANY medical information about someone that you do not have EXPRESS authorization to disclose. This is true no matter how you got the information, including if it was obtained on maritime radio. HIPPA laws can be enforced by the party who is experiencing the medical issue and can include substantial fines. On top of all of that, it is just plain common courtesy to leave someone's medical issues as a private matter.

I am sue there will be some who could not care less about the law or the personal privacy of the individual involved, I am merely explaining the alw to everyone.

Oh geez! Really? Someone needs to educate themselves on HIPAA.

Most of us exercised discretion & judgement in NOT posting name of the injuried or other details that're transmitted OTA between the ship's doctor & first responders answering the call, HIPAA rules not withstanding, or even initially not mentioned the social media. There are good # of CC's here thoroughly familiar with and some of us work/lived with these privacy rules daily - common sense differences between general info/facts vs. detailed graphic descriptions, and not all regulated. We had mostly "facts" and not rumors, which is far worst.

Medical rescues & evacuations at sea, including land transfers take place more often than we realized (or read/learn about) and almost everything was done by the "books" under the command of the Captain - except for the turf issues & poor coordination between FD/EMS and PD (NYPD) arriving on scene after the patient was treated and stabilized, as we heard it live. It spelled $$$$ for the Gem's turnaround detour, think about it - all jokes/comments aside about the possible risks for some of us to lose a Platinium perk.

BTW, good news on patient status then, whatever the source. Time to let it go, otherwise, and move on (I see the MODs doing their edits.) It's a Red Flag day in NY.

Most of us exercised discretion & judgement in NOT posting name of the injuried or other details that're transmitted OTA between the ship's doctor & first responders answering the call, HIPAA rules not withstanding, or even initially not mentioned the social media. There are good # of CC's here thoroughly familiar with and some of us work/lived with these privacy rules daily - common sense differences between general info/facts vs. detailed graphic descriptions, and not all regulated. We had mostly "facts" and not rumors, which is far worst.

Medical rescues & evacuations at sea, including land transfers take place more often than we realized (or read/learn about) and almost everything was done by the "books" under the command of the Captain - except for the turf issues & poor coordination between FD/EMS and PD (NYPD) arriving on scene after the patient was treated and stabilized, as we heard it live. It spelled $$$$ for the Gem's turnaround detour, think about it - all jokes/comments aside about the possible risks for some of us to lose a Platinium perk.

BTW, good news on patient status then, whatever the source. Time to let it go, otherwise, and move on (I see the MODs doing their edits.) It's a Red Flag day in NY.

You have made good points in your sumnation of the event...

While the HIPAA rules may not apply here, the FCC regulations may apply, in that you may not disclose to others what you may overhear on a scanner radio, (perhaps even in this case, where most of us did not hear it directly on a scanner, but rather on a scanner webcast over the internet....I'm not a lawyer, so not sure about the legalities of the case.

As for the FD-PD 'turf war'...I can't tell for sure what motivated it...hopefully it was just a case where the PD saw that they could save considerable time over the FD's plan to evacuate the victim, and not just a case of wanting the 'credit' for the rescue....

There may be some behind the scene's story here....perhaps the city's bean counter's are looking to cut the operations of one or the other to trim the budget, and are evaluating which or how to accomplish that....

One lucky break for the cruise industry was that the press did not seem to get wind of the story in time to send a bunch of newschoppers hovering over the scene for live coverage....could have been embarrassing for someone......

You have made good points in your sumnation of the event...

While the HIPAA rules may not apply here, the FCC regulations may apply, in that you may not disclose to others what you may overhear on a scanner radio, (perhaps even in this case, where most of us did not hear it directly on a scanner, but rather on a scanner webcast over the internet....I'm not a lawyer, so not sure about the legalities of the case.

As for the FD-PD 'turf war'...I can't tell for sure what motivated it...hopefully it was just a case where the PD saw that they could save considerable time over the FD's plan to evacuate the victim, and not just a case of wanting the 'credit' for the rescue....

There may be some behind the scene's story here....perhaps the city's bean counter's are looking to cut the operations of one or the other to trim the budget, and are evaluating which or how to accomplish that....

One lucky break for the cruise industry was that the press did not seem to get wind of the story in time to send a bunch of newschoppers hovering over the scene for live coverage....could have been embarrassing for someone......

Actually they mentioned it on Kelly live show today about the lady getting hurt on the Norwegian Gem

Edited by sjnyc323

NY Post picked up the story here - http://nypost.com/2014/04/24/woman-injured-by-champagne-cork-on-cruise-ship/

"A woman who was popping bottles ... as her Caribbean vacation began ... was struck in the eye by a flying champagne cork and had to be rescued by NYPD harbor police ... on the Norwegian Gem ... just off the coast of the city ... around 7:00 when the dangerous bottle was uncorked, according to sources ... taken by a rescue boat to Staten Island before being transferred to Mount Sinai ..."

Credits not given in this article to FDNY-EMS that responded and was on scene first, it appeared. Patient was transfered from SI to Mount Sinai Hospital, which is on the Upper East Side of Manhattan - then treated & released ?? as posted earlier.

Hmmm, interesting details for this New Yorker (SI's University Hospital's Level 1 Trauma Center couldn't handled it & we had another Level 1 TC practically right next door to NYPD's Harbor Unit @ Sunset Park, Brooklyn - and patient had to be transported by EMS ambulance to MS, a 21+ miles trip that would easily take 20 to 25 minutes w. lights & siren ON.) Perhaps her injury is more serious - but, whatever.

In the last several years, two ships have struck the SF/Oakland Bay Bridge. Guess who was charged in both cases? Hint: it wasn't the captain.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/23678514/ns/us_news-environment/t/ships-pilot-charged-bay-area-oil-disaster/

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/04/04/pilot-of-empty-tanker-who-hit-bay-bridge-could-lose-license/

Of course, that doesn't mean the captain isn't responsible for his passengers and crew. He doesn't get a pass if he abandons ship after the pilot tears up the ship, but he's not necessarily accountable for a "mishap".

We don't read that the Captain had any charges from the article. But as Chenghp75 stated and I know too from actual experience, the pilots are only advisors to the Captain. With the few stated locations being the exception (certain canals). The Pilots can and will loose their licences for bad judgement. Also who wants to employ a pilot that no captain will have faith in. As a note: Pilots are fully certified to captain any ship they guide.

The Captain will or already is held accountable to his licence and his company. There is a good possibility that captains is not sailing now as captain. (I am talking about the ships captains in the above linked articles.

Edited by NH Cruisers

All I know is that the Gem Captain should be commended for doing a great job that night. I watched the entire rescue on the ny harbor webcam close up. It was scary as heck watching the ship drift down the water in 40 mph wind gusts while getting closer and closer to that tanker. The rescue boats were trying to figure out who was going to get the injured pax to shore. It was scary.

Everyone involved was very lucky they didn't end up in NY harbor IMHO.

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

During our last Gem cruise a lovely Irish woman sustained glass in her eye when a warm glass cracked when they poured cold water into the glass and a shard must have hit her eye.She had no idea of the injury until that night her eye became totally bloodshot. she was successfully treated on board by ship doctor so strange thongs happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Post picked up the story here - http://nypost.com/2014/04/24/woman-injured-by-champagne-cork-on-cruise-ship/

"A woman who was popping bottles ... as her Caribbean vacation began ... was struck in the eye by a flying champagne cork and had to be rescued by NYPD harbor police ... on the Norwegian Gem ... just off the coast of the city ... around 7:00 when the dangerous bottle was uncorked, according to sources ... taken by a rescue boat to Staten Island before being transferred to Mount Sinai ..."

Credits not given in this article to FDNY-EMS that responded and was on scene first, it appeared. Patient was transfered from SI to Mount Sinai Hospital, which is on the Upper East Side of Manhattan - then treated & released ?? as posted earlier.

Hmmm, interesting details for this New Yorker (SI's University Hospital's Level 1 Trauma Center couldn't handled it & we had another Level 1 TC practically right next door to NYPD's Harbor Unit @ Sunset Park, Brooklyn - and patient had to be transported by EMS ambulance to MS, a 21+ miles trip that would easily take 20 to 25 minutes w. lights & siren ON.) Perhaps her injury is more serious - but, whatever.

1) could have been the patient's preference

2) could have been her insurance company's preference

The turf wars between hospitals and insurance companies is alive and well

Video & Audio replay from NYHarborWebcam.com -

Thank you for posting that link. I'd read this thread, but it was still pretty astonishing to listen to that dialogue between the Harbor Pilot and the responders. And of course amazing to see how close the Gem came to that tanker.

Thankfully, the injured woman is okay, and no one was hurt during the evac.

Video & Audio replay from NYHarborWebcam.com -

Thank you guy's, for the superb coverage your website provided of the event. It was almost 'like being there'....:)

I was wondering what alerted you to go to live coverage, in that I mean, usually after the last cruise ship has passed under the Verrazano Bridge, you leave the camera in its fixed position focused on either the bridge, or the skyline. But shortly after the drama began, you started following the ship around, live....

The marine scanner you webcast, as well as the ASI map you provide, is what first alerted myself to the event....:cool:

Thanks for the radio transmission via Facebook. We just got back from the cruise and had

heard different stories. I was on the outside deck directly above the evacuation route.

From the beginning the much larger NYFD fireboat had trouble mating (docking) alongside the Gem. It took the 3 or 4 firemen responders a while to get aboard the Gem. Once they did the fireboat moved from midship to the front of the ship to try to dock there, The Smaller NYPD boat pulled into the vacated space and seemed to fit in well. I saw the patient board the NYPD boat directly below me and wondered what the medical emergency was and then why they went to Staten Island? This all makes sense now. I don't think that this was a pissing contest between the NYFD ands NYPD. The PD waited and assisted the FD until it became apparent that time was becoming a factor. I also wondered if I just didn't see the other NYFD personnel exit the ship. By the time they did I was having cocktails.

BY the way a great time on the Gem.

Thanks for the radio transmission via Facebook. We just got back from the cruise and had

heard different stories. I was on the outside deck directly above the evacuation route.

From the beginning the much larger NYFD fireboat had trouble mating (docking) alongside the Gem. It took the 3 or 4 firemen responders a while to get aboard the Gem. Once they did the fireboat moved from midship to the front of the ship to try to dock there, The Smaller NYPD boat pulled into the vacated space and seemed to fit in well. I saw the patient board the NYPD boat directly below me and wondered what the medical emergency was and then why they went to Staten Island? This all makes sense now. I don't think that this was a pissing contest between the NYFD ands NYPD. The PD waited and assisted the FD until it became apparent that time was becoming a factor. I also wondered if I just didn't see the other NYFD personnel exit the ship. By the time they did I was having cocktails.

BY the way a great time on the Gem.

Thanks for your report! It was quite the rescue. We saw you guys watching from the deck above.

Glad you had a great cruise and hope the patient is feeling better. I wonder if they ever flew to SJ to join the ship and resume their vacation.

Safe Sailing!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day