Taking Wine On Board

kenmerloo

You are allowed to bring one 750 ml bottle per adult. Any extra are allowed if you pay the $15 per bottle corkage fee. They've had a table set up on our last three cruises (all from Fort Lauderdale) to declare your wine after the security x-ray. When they detect bottles, they'll direct you over to that table. If you just have the allowed amount, they'll still record it with your cabin number.

Edited by geoherb

Are you aware of the limits?

If you're asking only about how strictly they're enforced it will vary. I plan to pay the $15 corkage fee for bottles exceeding the 1) 750ml bottle per adult passenger per cruise. Even if I'm not assessed the fee when bringing on the ship most of it is consumed in the dining room where the fee is charged unless it was paid when boarding. As long as you pay the $15/bottle fee I have never heard about any reasonable limit being enforced.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Does anybody know how strict Princess Line is about taking extra wine on board ?

Thanks

You can bring 10 cases of wine aboard if you are willing to pay the pay the corkage fee. The tight policy is really enforced at the port of embarkation. 1 btl per adult when initially boarding for free. At the follow-on ports o` call, they ask you to turn in the liquor/wine at a table after security. Just walk on by and you have nothing to worry about. The greedy pay the price.

This is my first cruise on Princess and I assume that since I am traveling solo, I can bring two bottles of wine. Is that correct?

I have not heard that but its worth a try.

The procedure says 1 bottle per person & not 2 bottles per cabin but you can try it as long as you're willing to pay the $15 corkage fee for the 2nd bottle if they strictly enforce their procedure.

Edited by Astro Flyer

This is my first cruise on Princess and I assume that since I am traveling solo, I can bring two bottles of wine. Is that correct?

Now, that is a new one. I think you could argue the 1 bottle policy because as a solo you pay, or almost pay, for 2.

Theo

Just a thought here (no judgment please, I'm frugal!) but how closely do they examine those two bottles of wine? For example, not being a wine drinker, what if I brought two screw top dark wine bottles filled with rum or vodka?

Now, that is a new one. I think you could argue the 1 bottle policy because as a solo you pay, or almost pay, for 2.

Theo

And I think the bottle checkers have some flexibility because on a recent b2b they allowed us to bring our 2 cruise allotment (2 bottles each) during our 1st embarkation.

Edited by Astro Flyer

But an adult over 21 travelling with someone under 21 still only gets one bottle, even though they paid for the 2nd person. I'm paying to take 6 of us on our cruise next week, but only 3 of us are over 21, so we get 3 bottles. I don't get extra bottles for the minors just because I paid their fares. (I wish!! :D) The policy says one bottle per passenger over 21, not one bottle per fare paid.

And I think the bottle checkers have some flexibility because on a recent b2b they allowed us to bring our 2 cruise allotment (2 bottles each) during our 1st embarkation.

That is not being flexible, it is just following the rules as they are supposed to be followed.

That is not being flexible, it is just following the rules as they are supposed to be followed.

For b2b cruises nowhere is it in writing that we may bring 2 bottles per adult during embarkation. They were going to charge us for 2 bottles so that tells me they do have some discretion to be flexible even when they think we were wrong.

Edited by Astro Flyer

But an adult over 21 travelling with someone under 21 still only gets one bottle, even though they paid for the 2nd person. I'm paying to take 6 of us on our cruise next week, but only 3 of us are over 21, so we get 3 bottles. I don't get extra bottles for the minors just because I paid their fares. (I wish!! :D) The policy says one bottle per passenger over 21, not one bottle per fare paid.

But, the minor under 21 is using all the facilities on de ship, that is what you paying for. A solo traveler uses also all of the facilities but has to pay for it twice.

By the way, I'm not a solo traveler but I can feel their pain.

Theo

Sent from my GT-P7510

Just a thought here (no judgment please, I'm frugal!) but how closely do they examine those two bottles of wine? For example, not being a wine drinker, what if I brought two screw top dark wine bottles filled with rum or vodka?

People have been doing that for while now & seem to get away with it. we personally don't drink that much so Rumrunners are sufficient for our needs.

They will now usually examine the bottles if its an embarkation port. ;)

We frequently check a case of wine when we board. Usually they will charge $15.00 per bottle on ten of the bottles and stamp them before they deliver them to our cabin. On our last cruise they just delivered the case with no charges.

MSN-Travelers writes:

At the follow-on ports o` call, they ask you to turn in the liquor/wine at a table after security. Just walk on by and you have nothing to worry about. The greedy pay the price.

Am I understanding what you are saying? What do you mean by "turn in"?

We have bought lots of wine in ports and never been asked to turn it in. They rarely even notice when we run it through the scanner. When they do, we just go over to the table, they write it down and that's that. We have never been charged for it.

I will admit that sometimes we haven't been able to find the "table" and just went straight to our cabin. :p

They are inspecting the bottles fairly carefully. On our cruise last month, they confiscated and "destroyed" (aka gave to the crew :)) one of our two bottles because it was a Port wine that had an alcohol content higher than 15.9%. This limit is not listed anywhere in the pre-cruise literature and we argued that point. They stated that the bottle would be returned to us on the last night as a way to diffuse the situation. We did not see the bottle again.

They are inspecting the bottles fairly carefully. On our cruise last month, they confiscated and "destroyed" (aka gave to the crew :)) one of our two bottles because it was a Port wine that had an alcohol content higher than 15.9%. This limit is not listed anywhere in the pre-cruise literature and we argued that point. They stated that the bottle would be returned to us on the last night as a way to diffuse the situation. We did not see the bottle again.

I can tell you they do not distribute confiscated alcohol to the crew.

Easy way to lose their jobs.

But, the minor under 21 is using all the facilities on de ship, that is what you paying for. A solo traveler uses also all of the facilities but has to pay for it twice.

By the way, I'm not a solo traveler but I can feel their pain.

Someone booked in a balcony pays a lot more than I do for my inside, and we both get to use the same ship facilities, food, etc. Paying more doesn't mean they can take on more wine either. The rule is 1 bottle per passenger 21 or over. Not saying it's fair, just that it's the way the rule reads, and that I would expect them to enforce it that way.

I can tell you they do not distribute confiscated alcohol to the crew.

Easy way to lose their jobs.

As a matter of fact they also are not allowed to bring alcohol aboard with them. They have to but drinks at the crew bay. I'm not sure what they charge them but I'm sure it's nothing compared to what the passengers pay.