Eurodam - Bumped by Charter

JoeMGiants

We got a call from our TA informing us that we had to reschedule our 14 day Caribbean crusie on Euordam depating Oct. 26 because she is now been chartrered.

They have give us 4 alternate dates to choose a replacemet; and we must cruise before the end of 2014 - they will not garantee the same rates for 2015. They are offering a ship board credit for the inconvenience.

We are having trouble with our schedule and flights as the replacement cruises are around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Anyone else been bumped ? Anyone know who chartered her?

Joe & Mary:mad:

Wow! That's awful! No nothing like that has ever happened to me on any cruise line that we've sailed. We've only gone on the Eurodam once and it was a last minute booking, like about 4-6 weeks out ... got a great deal on a JS and had a wonderful time. Loved the ship, staff and line. Gee I hope all the cruise lines don't do things like this and I'm disappointed HAL did this to you. Please let us know how you make out. Good Luck!

I see on another thread that the Eurodam has a charter starting on Nov 2 -- Malt Shop. That has been listed for some time.

I am surprised that you weren't notified about this a long time ago as it involved 1/2 of your cruise.

Sounds like you are like us -- we have to book flights months in advance as there are so few flights from our area.

Is HAL going to pay the difference in flight arrangements and fees to change the flights?

Gee I hope all the cruise lines don't do things like this ...
Only the ones that charter ships. ;)

OP - if you do find out who chartered it, please report it to CJCruzer on the latest iteration of this thread: boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1964474

Edited by jtl513

This is just one more reason why it is not always wise to book cruises far in advance. Unless we are taking very long HAL cruises (over 3 weeks long) we prefer to wait until the last few months when we feel secure that HAL will not sell us under the hull (like under the bus). This is not just a HAL problem but also happens on some other lines. But HAL does seem to have plunged into the charter world and seems to have little conscience about the turmoil (and money) it can cause some of its most loyal customers.

Hank

This is just one more reason why it is not always wise to book cruises far in advance. Unless we are taking very long HAL cruises (over 3 weeks long) we prefer to wait until the last few months when we feel secure that HAL will not sell us under the hull (like under the bus). This is not just a HAL problem but also happens on some other lines. But HAL does seem to have plunged into the charter world and seems to have little conscience about the turmoil (and money) it can cause some of its most loyal customers.

Hank

Oh so very true!!

But HAL does seem to have plunged into the charter world and seems to have little conscience about the turmoil (and money) it can cause some of its most loyal customers.

There is a lot of money to be made with charters; for once people usually pay a premium to be on them. Now a good portion of that money goes to whoever organizes the charter but the cruise lines get a guaranteed sum of money up front no matter how many people board the ship.

Cruise lines that charter (that I know of): HAL, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL, Royal Caribbean, MSC, Azamara, Windstar, Cunard, Seabourn, Amadeus Waterways, Avalon Waterways.

Edited by Boytjie

Wow! That's awful! No nothing like that has ever happened to me on any cruise line that we've sailed. We've only gone on the Eurodam once and it was a last minute booking, like about 4-6 weeks out ... got a great deal on a JS and had a wonderful time. Loved the ship, staff and line. Gee I hope all the cruise lines don't do things like this and I'm disappointed HAL did this to you. Please let us know how you make out. Good Luck!

All cruise lines do this unfortunately. Disney is one of the worst offenders.

0P try to see if they will switch you to the Nieuw Amsterdam. It has alternating Eastern and Western itineraries just like the Eurodam. It is essentially the same ship.

All cruise lines do this unfortunately. Disney is one of the worst offenders.

0P try to see if they will switch you to the Nieuw Amsterdam. It has alternating Eastern and Western itineraries just like the Eurodam. It is essentially the same ship.

Actually, many cruise lines try to be more considerate of it's customers and only sell charters at least 11 months in advance. At that point, folks have not yet paid for air arrangements. But when a cruise line decides to charter out a scheduled cruise less then 330 days prior to the cruise...we think it borders on the criminal (or at least actionable). Cruise lines will quickly take your deposit money more then a year in advance (this constitutes a good faith contract) and does nothing to discourage folks from booking their air 11 months in advance (most airlines do not allow booking more then 330 days prior to a flight). In a sense, when a cruise line cancels a cruise within that 11 month window...they are giving the proverbial finger to their most loyal customers (these are often the ones booking the furthest in advance) and saying to them "you do not matter to us...and loyalty only goes one-way."

Hank

We were booked on this cruise as we'll. I am mobility challenged , so I need to book cruises as far out as possible in order to get one of the few accessible staterooms that are available. It's very disappointing, but we have scrambled and are booking a 10 day Southern Caribbean on the Noordam to replace the cancelled Eastern leg.

I am sure (or would like to think) that you will get your air fare back.

I have a different take from personal experience. HAL chartered our China cruise. They offered us a very generous obc for the aggravation and we had until x date to simply choose a cruise of the same length of more and it would apply.

Now, I was cruising when this happened so my lovely TA got the date extended and I found a fabulous itinerary that I now far prefer on the EE and we are happy campers.

JMO - but I think instead of offering you certain cruises, you should have gotten the same option that we did - to choose a cruise of the same length by a certain date. I am just guessing that the length of the cruise booked makes a difference, but I don't know.

It is a shame when you have air flights booked, etc. I can honestly say that we book as soon as they are open as we use FF miles when we can as if you snooze you lose.

I hope this can work out so that you are happy and not out any money (which you shouldn't be). Good luck.

Edited by kazu

It happens all the time. Big money to be made in the charter business, and HAL does not hesitate to charter a ship.

I feel badly when I read a charter has caused guests to be bumped but likely ten months in advance an alternative can be arranged. It is more difficult when it happens around the holidays as the bookings for both flights and cruises are heavier.

Good luck, OP. Let us know what you substitute.

• 2 months later...

As much as we dislike government interference we think the cruise industry charter business cries out for some consumer protection legislation. We think that anytime a cruise line takes a ship out of inventory less then 330 days prior to a scheduled cruise that the cruise line should have to pay considerable compensation to any passenger who has previously booked. The reason we choose 330 days is that is the normal time at which one can buy air. We also think that whenever a cruise line charters more then 25%of any cruise to a group, the other passengers should be informed of "said group" and given the option to rebook another cruise if they so choose. We could post a very sad tale of some folks that got stuck on a RCI cruise where half the ship was some kind of aggressive group whose members spent a week harassing the other passengers. This particular group also took over many of the public venues (and showrooms) since they had brought their own entertainers. None of this was open to the other passengers so the non-group folks not only got harassed, but also lost out on many of the ship's amenities.

Hank

Edited by Host Walt
Edited at request of Hank

This is just one more reason why it is not always wise to book cruises far in advance. Unless we are taking very long HAL cruises (over 3 weeks long) we prefer to wait until the last few months when we feel secure that HAL will not sell us under the hull (like under the bus).

>SNIP<

Hank

Not everyone can wait, some of us have other demands in our lives that require we make vacation arrangements far in advance.

OP, I'm sorry this happened to you. We were bumped once, and it is disheartening and annoying. We got the "you have to make a decision by X date" and when I pushed back, they relented and gave us more time.

I hope that HAL works with you on any air arrangements you've made.

I've been thinking about this issue quite a bit, since I had to change my January 2015 cruise since there was a large group on it, and then finding out the other cruise I was interested in included a charter! (14 day cruise, really a B2B, with the 2nd 1/2 being a charter) Yet HAL was still advertising and selling the 14 day cruise. (AND STILL IS) HAL's actions in continuing to sell this cruise (and others) that include or are full charters is a violation of the Washington State Consumer Protection Act, Ch.. 19.86 RCW As HAL's HQ is in Seattle, HAL should know better. Or at least their attorneys should.

To the OP - HAL should reimburse you for any out of pocket expenses you can't recoup (airline change fees, travel insurance premiums, etc.). And HAL should not limit you to a 2014 cruise.

That being bumped by a charter just STEAMS my clams something FIERCE. If I had planned & paid for the cruise, booked the flights/hotel stays pre & post and then I got bumped, that line wouldn't ever be considered again. My actual response would be a little more direct and far more vulgar. :mad:

Just shows a complete lack of sand, proves that the only thing a corporation wants is more profit w/o having to honor any agreement. Acceptance of a contract typically is the exchange of $. They take my money, they need to honor the original contract.

Excusing it because other lines do it is just a sheep's response being taken to the slaughterhouse. :mad:

Derek

Acceptance of a contract typically is the exchange of $. They take my money, they need to honor the original contract.
You may not like hearing this, but when HAL bumps you, it is acting in accordance with the original contract. The contract allows HAL to bump you.

You might like the contract not to give HAL that right, but it does.

So while there are many complaints that can be made about this practice, breach of contract isn't one of them.

I would (loudly) demand more time to book another cruise. I think that two years is reasonable, and your reasons being that the holiday season can be difficult is absolutely valid!

Don't worry too much about HAL holding the rate for 2015. You can always get a better deal by booking close to cruise day (we usually do), and booking late will guarantee that you won't get bumped again.

FWIW, you may have been blessed. You could have been stuck cruising with some annoying group that will have a lot of exclusive functions in public areas.

igraf

We got a call from our TA informing us that we had to reschedule our 14 day Caribbean crusie on Euordam depating Oct. 26 because she is now been chartrered.

They have give us 4 alternate dates to choose a replacemet; and we must cruise before the end of 2014 - they will not garantee the same rates for 2015. They are offering a ship board credit for the inconvenience.

We are having trouble with our schedule and flights as the replacement cruises are around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Anyone else been bumped ? Anyone know who chartered her?

Joe & Mary:mad:

You may not like hearing this, but when HAL bumps you, it is acting in accordance with the original contract. The contract allows HAL to bump you.

You might like the contract not to give HAL that right, but it does.

So while there are many complaints that can be made about this practice, breach of contract isn't one of them.

Where does the contract give HAL the right to purposely mislead the passenger? When HAL is actively selling cabins to the general public on cruises that have been chartered HAL knows it is offering a contract it will not honor.