Mal de Débarquement

It would appear that I may have a touch of the above problem. In my younger days I spent a lot of time at sea on trawlers and never had a problem. No seasickness or anything.

However, on Monday last we returned to Sydney after a 13 night cruise to NZ, and now it's Saturday and I can still feel the motion of the ship.

With good old Google I've found that it can last for day weeks months years or permanently. No known cure. I suppose I'll just have to keep on crusing so I have an excuse to feel this way.:D

Anyone here also have this problem?

It would appear that I may have a touch of the above problem. In my younger days I spent a lot of time at sea on trawlers and never had a problem. No seasickness or anything.

However, on Monday last we returned to Sydney after a 13 night cruise to NZ, and now it's Saturday and I can still feel the motion of the ship.

With good old Google I've found that it can last for day weeks months years or permanently. No known cure. I suppose I'll just have to keep on crusing so I have an excuse to feel this way.:D

Anyone here also have this problem?

Yes. I get it after every trip in any sea going craft or ship. After outrigger canoe paddling in the waves, after a day on our 30' cruiser, after a cruise ship. Normally lasts 1-2 days for me.

I have also had this problem, but only from cruise ships. Never had it from using the family boat for skiing or fishing, which we did a lot of when I was younger. On my first cruise which was 5 nights it lasted about 2 weeks, every time I sat down I felt like I was falling backwards. On my second cruise, which was 9 nights, it lasted the same amount of time, I ended up getting medication for it, which helped a little.

I have just disembarked from my last cruise a few days ago, which was 13 nights, and I feel great, a little wobbly the first couple of days, but no falling back sensation. I am very happy as I thought being a longer cruise it would be worse, but it has been a very quick adjustment. This for me was the worst part of cruising. Maybe I just need to take longer or more cruises haha.

I have also suffered from this after a South Pacific cruise. It started the day after disembarking and lasted about a week. I have always wondered why it didn't start as soon as we disembarked; the delay doesn't make sense to me. I guess if it worked that way then port days during the cruise would also be a problem.

I didn't have any problem after our Alaska cruise, but there was very little ship movement for most of that cruise due to the protected waters in the Inner Passage.

I had it after my first cruise - a week long Mediterranean cruise - but not after my second.

It was bad for around three days then tapered off over the rest of a week.

It was worst when I was in a small space - showers were pretty nauseating - and vanished when I was on a gondola or a plane.

I had it for a week or more after out first cruise last Christmas but didn't notice it after the last two - and the last one was 17 days. We're boarding Solstice on Wednesday, from Auckand, so it will be interesting to see how I am after the cruise back across the Tasman. I'll report back in a couple of weeks. :)

Tell me about it please.

Have a hot steamy shower and then lay on the bed on your side but with your head hanging over the edge so that it droops towards the floor for ten minutes. It is supposed to drain the ear. Repeat for the other ear by rolling over onto the other side. It took a couple of goes but apparently it worked.

Have a hot steamy shower and then lay on the bed on your side but with your head hanging over the edge so that it droops towards the floor for ten minutes. It is supposed to drain the ear. Repeat for the other ear by rolling over onto the other side. It took a couple of goes but apparently it worked.

The hot shower is unneccesary, google epley manoevre

The hot shower is unneccesary, google epley manoevre

After having an 'attack' of Benign Paroximal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) on Friday last week, I have been taking Stemetil and doing the Epley Manoeuvre every day. The vertigo and nausea are finally easing. :)

Edited by Aus Traveller

• 4 weeks later...
I had it for a week or more after out first cruise last Christmas but didn't notice it after the last two - and the last one was 17 days. We're boarding Solstice on Wednesday, from Auckand, so it will be interesting to see how I am after the cruise back across the Tasman. I'll report back in a couple of weeks. :)

I promised to report back so here I am.

We had smooth sailing around NZ but had some "interesting" seas crossing the Tasman, then a port day at Hobart, and a comfortable sea day back to Sydney.

I had no Mal de Debarquement at all.

From that I have to conclude that if you cruise regularly you build up immunity. :D:D:D

Funny, I remember getting land-sick on my very first cruise [also the shortest], but none for the last 2 [which were each longer].

Reminds me of when I had terrible ear pain flying some yearsa ago, but none on the way back or anything significant since.

I usually always get it so have concluded, smooth seas = body acclimatises to land almost immediately.

That's what I thought before our last cruise, but the latter part of that cruise wasn't smooth seas so I think it may have more to do with overall acclimatisation ie regular cruising builds up immunity.

That's my excuse to do more cruising, and I'm sticking to it. :D :D :D