Pool deck mini-suites on the Sun

SnorkelBabe

Have you stayed in one of these forward mini suites on deck 11 of the Sun? We have one booked, but I'm still a little unsure if it's the right decision.

The deck 11 floor plan shows these cabins as oddly-shaped, but in the (few) photos I've seen (and in ncl's cabin floor plan), they appear to be the usual rectangular shape. If they are rectangular, why the odd shapes on the deck plan and if they are oddly shaped, what's the difference between the odd and even numbers? Even numbers appear smaller to me, is that right?

Also, how's the motion of the ship in these cabins? We don't have big problems with motion sickness in our family, but don't want too rough a ride, just in case. I'd usually prefer more mid-ship, but the Sun appears to have mini suites only fore or aft.

Thanks!

Have you stayed in one of these forward mini suites on deck 11 of the Sun? We have one booked, but I'm still a little unsure if it's the right decision.

The deck 11 floor plan shows these cabins as oddly-shaped, but in the (few) photos I've seen (and in ncl's cabin floor plan), they appear to be the usual rectangular shape. If they are rectangular, why the odd shapes on the deck plan and if they are oddly shaped, what's the difference between the odd and even numbers? Even numbers appear smaller to me, is that right?

Also, how's the motion of the ship in these cabins? We don't have big problems with motion sickness in our family, but don't want too rough a ride, just in case. I'd usually prefer more mid-ship, but the Sun appears to have mini suites only fore or aft.

Thanks!

We stayed in suite 11002 and 11001 on the Sun. Loved them both. They had awesome forward facing balconies. They were connecting rooms, and we put our daughters (age 18 & 20 at time) in the balcony room while we took minisuite...although I think the girls room was bigger than ours but ours had nicer bathroom. We had no problem with motion sickness. I would take those 2 rooms again in a heartbeat if I got the same deal. I can't comment on the odd-shaped rooms, but our daughters room was odd-shaped although it doesn't show it on the floorplan. It had a huge sitting area...biggest I have ever seen for a balcony room.

We had one of the side mini suites on the Pool deck on the Sun (one right next to the Owner's Suite, we had both connected). It was not odd-shaped like on the deck plans, just a rectangular room, large and well laid out. the bathroom was amazing, with a regular door between the closet and sink area and the bathtub and toilet area - very very well laid out. I don't think there's any difference between odd and even cabins, except for reversal of the furniture. The motion up front never bothered any of us, even my daughter and hubby who both suffer from motion sickness pretty badly.

Robin

I, too, was confused at first when looking at the floor plan but when we got to the room, it made sense. It just has to do with the dressing area/bathroom. All the cabins are the same size and it will look like a rectangle. We did 14 nights in the mini going around Cape Horn and it was a wonderful cabin. Would book again in a second. My son did experience some motion sickness because his head was laying sideways on the sofa bed instead of laying in the direction that you are sailing. Great location and quiet.

• 1 month later...

I have another question I forgot to ask. :)

What's the sofa bed like in these minisuites? It's my husband, me and two daughters, ages 15 and 10. They tend to fight when they have to share a bed, so we originally called and asked ncl what the "additional bedding to sleep 2" meant. We were hoping for a pullman above the sofa bed to form sort of bunk beds, but they didn't seem to have those in any of the balcony cabins.

The rep had to go ask someone what the bedding was, then came back and said it was a hide-a-bed, not a sofa bed. Hmm, I thought those two terms were synonymous, ;). She tried to explain that it was a bed that slid out from under the sofa and when I said "a trundle bed?", she said yes.

So, if it's a trundle, that is perfect for us, the girls won't have to share. But with the ncl rep's confusion on it, I'm a little worried we're going to board and find it's a small fold-out double bed.

If you've been in one of these cabins, was it a trundle bed, or something else?

Thank you!

What's the sofa bed like in these minisuites? It's my husband, me and two daughters, ages 15 and 10. They tend to fight when they have to share a bed, so we originally called and asked ncl what the "additional bedding to sleep 2" meant. We were hoping for a pullman above the sofa bed to form sort of bunk beds, but they didn't seem to have those in any of the balcony cabins.

The rep had to go ask someone what the bedding was, then came back and said it was a hide-a-bed, not a sofa bed. Hmm, I thought those two terms were synonymous, ;). She tried to explain that it was a bed that slid out from under the sofa and when I said "a trundle bed?", she said yes.

So, if it's a trundle, that is perfect for us, the girls won't have to share. But with the ncl rep's confusion on it, I'm a little worried we're going to board and find it's a small fold-out double bed.

Thank you!

We had a triple mini suite on the Sun and the bed opened more like a futon with extra padding added. No trundle but this wasn't a quad occupancy cabin. On the Star, in the mini we had, both kids slept on the coach. It was more like a sofa bed that you would see at a hotel.

I've been looking at these minis also.

Almost all are available for the cruise I'm looking at...so, any recommendations ?? Port or Starboard. .. Anyone have one they prefer over another?

Anyone know the balcony size? And what furniture is on the balcony?

We cruised the Panama Canal in one of those suites, just loved it! The bathroom alone is worth the price of admission. In those days, mini-suites were a bit nicer: they came with concierge service and an upgraded room service menu.

I still dream of the Scandinavian Sandwich Platter!:D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStXm_yqnJ4jS0BXJVlUywfk_FLMHOdZvnNf85JWnUiiJcNdN4Q

But I digress!

The balcony was quite roomy and had two chaises longues and a table as I recall. It was quite private and we (against all rules!) hung our hammock out there. What a treat!

Have a great cruise!

Alaska Cruise Sept 2008

My mother and I were in mini-suite 11210 aboard the SUN for our Baltic cruise in aug. 2010. You will not regret getting one of these cabins as there is very little foot traffic and very quiet.....the pool deck is on the same level but you will not hear any noise. here are some pictures of my mini-suite and also a video going from my mini-suite 11210 to the pool deck......I hope this helps..

http://s1118.beta.photobucket.com/user/Doughboy139/library/NCL%20Sun%20Mini-Suite%201210

http://s1118.beta.photobucket.com/user/Doughboy139/media/20100804124102.mp4.html

Thank you!

Not sure about your exact cabin, but we had an aft mini on Sun and that pull out/hide-a-bed was small - not even a double. Our kids were 7 and 11 at the time and both barely fit. They may have swapped those out though. I'll have to see if I can find a picture.

Thank you!

I'm afraid the NCL rep may be wrong. The sofa is long and it slides open to become a double/queen bed.

My bet is to book the 5 berth cabin on deck 8 - they are the ones with a star. It has a pullman off the wall as well as sofa bed.

The first one has the sofa bed made up, but DS chose to sleep on the pullman off the wall (picture 2).

Cabin 8032.

DSCN4536.jpg.3467d4226f065807e94b60def7992a52.jpg

DSCN4555.jpg.576b63e4f00a6d382c4efb595f5a08d9.jpg

I'm afraid the NCL rep may be wrong. The sofa is long and it slides open to become a double/queen bed.

My bet is to book the 5 berth cabin on deck 8 - they are the ones with a star. It has a pullman off the wall as well as sofa bed.

The first one has the sofa bed made up, but DS chose to sleep on the pullman off the wall (picture 2).

Cabin 8032.

Isn't that a regular balcony and not a Mini-Suite??

I have stayed in 1204 which is the first mini on the starboard side. In my opinion this location is fantastic. Very quiet area but conveniently close to lots of things. I get motion sickness easily but with daily Bonnie I was fine.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Thanks everyone, this is helpful and I love looking at the pictures! It sounds like those of you that have stayed in these minisuites didn't use the sofa bedding, is that right?

Bluesea, in your first paragraph, it sounds like you're talking about 8032, is that right? In the pictures on the ncl website, the sofas look different, so I'm not sure they all work the same way. The setup you described sounds great, but we really prefer the larger bathroom with sink/counter separate from shower/toilet in the minisuite, so I guess it's a tradeoff and we'll have to decide which is more important to us.

dexdd, if the sofa you describe is the kind I've seen that's tiny for two people! I'm sorry your kids had to sleep in that dinky thing, but with mine being 15 and 10 on the cruise, there is no way they will fit. I sure hope the forward cabins have something larger. Even if they fight, at least they'll fit in a double sleeper sofa.

I think I'm still looking for someone who has slept 4 adult or near-adult size people in a forward minisuite, to see how it was set up. Thanks!

ugh! I decided to call ncl and ask again. Does anyone there know what they're talking about? Wish I could ask the room steward, as I'm sure he knows much more about the rooms than these folks in the call center!

First I called and was told no, they have no trundles, it's a sleeper sofa and a pull-out sleeper. Um, OK? that sounds like two sofas, right? I know there are not two sofas in that room. Is the pull out sleeper a pullman? "No, we have no pullmans in the minisuites." Finally she says it's a rollaway. That on our reservation, we are marked for a rollaway along with the sofa sleeper. OK. I hang up.

But then I think "where is there room for a rollaway in there and what do we do with it in the daytime?" So I call back. Different rep answers. "We have no rollaways." It's a double sleeper sofa. Then Verizon drops my call :rolleyes:

So I call back again. "oh, yes, we can put a rollaway in there, and the steward will take it out each morning and return it each night so it's not in the way during the day. I'll put it on your reservation." (gee, I thought the first rep said it was already on the reservation:rolleyes:)

Come across another phone number, so try calling it, thinking maybe it's different people and they might know something else. (I wonder if they have a log of phone calls so they can see what a pest I've been?:p) This one says the only rollaways are cribs. Double sleeper sofa, no trundles or pullmans in the minisuites. Back to the trade-off.

So frustrated. Don't know who to believe. Thanks for letting me vent, and any additional info anyone can offer.

Thanks everyone, this is helpful and I love looking at the pictures! It sounds like those of you that have stayed in these minisuites didn't use the sofa bedding, is that right?

Bluesea, in your first paragraph, it sounds like you're talking about 8032, is that right? In the pictures on the ncl website, the sofas look different, so I'm not sure they all work the same way. The setup you described sounds great, but we really prefer the larger bathroom with sink/counter separate from shower/toilet in the minisuite, so I guess it's a tradeoff and we'll have to decide which is more important to us.

dexdd, if the sofa you describe is the kind I've seen that's tiny for two people! I'm sorry your kids had to sleep in that dinky thing, but with mine being 15 and 10 on the cruise, there is no way they will fit. I sure hope the forward cabins have something larger. Even if they fight, at least they'll fit in a double sleeper sofa.

I think I'm still looking for someone who has slept 4 adult or near-adult size people in a forward minisuite, to see how it was set up. Thanks!

ugh! I decided to call ncl and ask again. Does anyone there know what they're talking about? Wish I could ask the room steward, as I'm sure he knows much more about the rooms than these folks in the call center!

First I called and was told no, they have no trundles, it's a sleeper sofa and a pull-out sleeper. Um, OK? that sounds like two sofas, right? I know there are not two sofas in that room. Is the pull out sleeper a pullman? "No, we have no pullmans in the minisuites." Finally she says it's a rollaway. That on our reservation, we are marked for a rollaway along with the sofa sleeper. OK. I hang up.

But then I think "where is there room for a rollaway in there and what do we do with it in the daytime?" So I call back. Different rep answers. "We have no rollaways." It's a double sleeper sofa. Then Verizon drops my call :rolleyes:

So I call back again. "oh, yes, we can put a rollaway in there, and the steward will take it out each morning and return it each night so it's not in the way during the day. I'll put it on your reservation." (gee, I thought the first rep said it was already on the reservation:rolleyes:)

Come across another phone number, so try calling it, thinking maybe it's different people and they might know something else. (I wonder if they have a log of phone calls so they can see what a pest I've been?:p) This one says the only rollaways are cribs. Double sleeper sofa, no trundles or pullmans in the minisuites. Back to the trade-off.

So frustrated. Don't know who to believe. Thanks for letting me vent, and any additional info anyone can offer.

I will post this again.

We had a triple mini suite on the Sun and the bed opened more like a futon with extra padding added. No trundle but this wasn't a quad occupancy cabin. On the Star, in the mini we had, both kids slept on the coach. It was more like a sofa bed that you would see at a hotel. We were in 1209.

Sorry I couldn't find a decent picture but I did check on a site that has pictures of the various minis including ours at the time. It "looks" like from the various pictures of about 7 minis on the Sun that I could find that there are about 3 different couch types that they had. Most of the ones were a blue fabric like we had in ours and one brown fabric. Whether they have changed those during dry dock, I don't know, I haven't seen any pictures of the new leather type couches on the Sun.

From the blue fabric couches they look like they are three cushions wide (about as wide as the bed in the cabin. I don't remember exactly how the couch folded out but basically if you took the section that you would sit on and imagine a similar section underneath it and pulled it out and set in front of it, that would be the bed. So not a typical hideabed that has a couple sections that fold out.

What I remember specifically is that the room steward made the bed up with the pillows against the back of the couch and when our kids laid down their feet were hanging off or close to it. So they switched and laid 90 degrees the other way so they ran head closest to the armrest and feet by the other armrest on the couch. They fit but barely. On the subsequent nights the steward made the bed that way.

The reason I said earlier it didn't seem quite like a double is due to the one length being short - it very well could measure as a double, I don't know. The one thing I do know is our DD was a trooper since our DS has crazy legs when he sleeps. The bathroom was nice as you are aware. We were on a very port intensive trip and were pretty tired by the end of each day so it all worked out.

What room are you looking for exactly?

I will post this again.

We had a triple mini suite on the Sun and the bed opened more like a futon with extra padding added. No trundle but this wasn't a quad occupancy cabin. On the Star, in the mini we had, both kids slept on the coach. It was more like a sofa bed that you would see at a hotel. We were in 1209.

Thanks jdvmd. I tried to find which mini suites were triples on the deck plans, but they are all marked as quads now. Maybe they've changed the configurations? When I look at the Star minis on the ncl website, the example picture shows a different sofa than it shows on the Sun minis, so I guess I was holding out hope that the Sun may have the trundle after all. ;) Were you in 1209 on the Sun or the Star?

Sorry I couldn't find a decent picture but I did check on a site that has pictures of the various minis including ours at the time. It "looks" like from the various pictures of about 7 minis on the Sun that I could find that there are about 3 different couch types that they had. Most of the ones were a blue fabric like we had in ours and one brown fabric. Whether they have changed those during dry dock, I don't know, I haven't seen any pictures of the new leather type couches on the Sun.

From the blue fabric couches they look like they are three cushions wide (about as wide as the bed in the cabin. I don't remember exactly how the couch folded out but basically if you took the section that you would sit on and imagine a similar section underneath it and pulled it out and set in front of it, that would be the bed. So not a typical hideabed that has a couple sections that fold out.

What I remember specifically is that the room steward made the bed up with the pillows against the back of the couch and when our kids laid down their feet were hanging off or close to it. So they switched and laid 90 degrees the other way so they ran head closest to the armrest and feet by the other armrest on the couch. They fit but barely. On the subsequent nights the steward made the bed that way.

The reason I said earlier it didn't seem quite like a double is due to the one length being short - it very well could measure as a double, I don't know. The one thing I do know is our DD was a trooper since our DS has crazy legs when he sleeps. The bathroom was nice as you are aware. We were on a very port intensive trip and were pretty tired by the end of each day so it all worked out.

What room are you looking for exactly?

Thanks dex. The way you describe it, it sounds as if the bottom section does slide out like a trundle. I know you don't remember exactly, but do you think it might have been possible to leave that bottom section low to the floor and put separate twin sheets on the two sections so that the kids could each have their own space? Both my girls have crazy legs, and they roll around a lot in their sleep, used to having their own double bed all to themselves! This is why I'm so concerned about getting them in separate beds. All the pictures I've found of these minis show a blue sofa with upright, wooden armrests, the regular cushions, and what looks to be a pretty tall "skirt" of material hanging down to the carpet. Again, it looks reasonable that there could be a trundle stowed behind that skirt, so I keep holding out hope!

As far as what I'm looking for, I'm looking for the cabin the first rep described to me. Mini suite, large bathroom with tub/toilet behind a door and separate dressing area, and two separate beds for the 3rd and 4th passenger, but it seems a cabin like this doesn't exist on the Sun. All the mini suites have shared bedding for the 3rd and 4th passengers. We aren't willing to spend the money to upgrade to a full suite, so our choice seems to be to give up the nicer bathroom in exchange for the bedding configuration we prefer, or deal with the bedding issue in order to get the nicer bathroom (and maybe get lucky with finding a rollaway when we board, or that the bottom section that slides out from under the couch can be left at a lower level). I'll have to have a discussion about this with my family and see what they all want to do.

Thanks so much for all your help, everyone.

Thanks jdvmd. I tried to find which mini suites were triples on the deck plans, but they are all marked as quads now. Maybe they've changed the configurations? When I look at the Star minis on the ncl website, the example picture shows a different sofa than it shows on the Sun minis, so I guess I was holding out hope that the Sun may have the trundle after all. ;) Were you in 1209 on the Sun or the Star?

Thanks dex. The way you describe it, it sounds as if the bottom section does slide out like a trundle. I know you don't remember exactly, but do you think it might have been possible to leave that bottom section low to the floor and put separate twin sheets on the two sections so that the kids could each have their own space? Both my girls have crazy legs, and they roll around a lot in their sleep, used to having their own double bed all to themselves! This is why I'm so concerned about getting them in separate beds. All the pictures I've found of these minis show a blue sofa with upright, wooden armrests, the regular cushions, and what looks to be a pretty tall "skirt" of material hanging down to the carpet. Again, it looks reasonable that there could be a trundle stowed behind that skirt, so I keep holding out hope!

As far as what I'm looking for, I'm looking for the cabin the first rep described to me. Mini suite, large bathroom with tub/toilet behind a door and separate dressing area, and two separate beds for the 3rd and 4th passenger, but it seems a cabin like this doesn't exist on the Sun. All the mini suites have shared bedding for the 3rd and 4th passengers. We aren't willing to spend the money to upgrade to a full suite, so our choice seems to be to give up the nicer bathroom in exchange for the bedding configuration we prefer, or deal with the bedding issue in order to get the nicer bathroom (and maybe get lucky with finding a rollaway when we board, or that the bottom section that slides out from under the couch can be left at a lower level). I'll have to have a discussion about this with my family and see what they all want to do.

1209 on the Sun. Deck 11 on the Star.

No, I don't recall how that bed was made - from underneath or flip-out.

If you look at youtube there is a video for 1208. I saw pictures for 1212, 1211, 1009, 1013, 1204, & 1210 and they all look pretty much the same as the video. I did see some pics of 1210 with the main bed separated and together but it had a brown couch.

Those of 1210 looked like they were taken by "Heinbloed" who takes great pictures of his trips and posts regularly if you do a search for his name you might find some more pictures.

The bathrooms are a bit different in the pool deck minis vs. the afts (at least the aft one we were in) as the sink is in the compartment by the tub as is the toilet but the toilet also has a glass door to close it off. The make-up area on the afts is by itself with the closet behind it. The bed and couch are also at the foot of each other and the brown storage/tv unit is on the side of the main bed.

Not sure what else to tell you. The bathroom would give you some more flexibility when getting ready compared to a regular balcony but still not sure how the couch makes up. Maybe you can try looking at some of the upcoming roll calls and see if anyone is staying in one of the minis and they could find out for you.

jdvmd -- that's just a couple of doors down from the one we currently have booked. Seems like it should be the same other than the triple/quad change. Thanks!

Doughboy139 -- Thanks, I did look at those photos, but since you said it was just two of you, I had assumed that you hadn't converted the sofa to a bed. If yours was a regular double sofabed, our probably will be too. I really enjoyed your videos, too. They're getting me excited to stay in one of these cabins -- what a great location so close to the pool and gym! (can 7 months go by a little faster, please?)

bluesea -- lol, I would so do that if we didn't have to fly. :D

dexddd -- I did see the video of 1208, and lots of other pictures of these cabins, but so far found none with the sofabed made up. I'll look for Heinbloed's pictures, thanks. Also great idea on looking at the roll calls.

Thanks again, everyone. Looking at all these pictures and videos is really making me love the location and bathrooms of these mini suites more and more. Really not wanting to give that up for our preferred 3rd/4th person bedding setup. I think the kids are just going to have to put up with it!

Archived