Walkie Talkies

Can anyone tell me the best walkie talkies to use on the Oasis. Please no flaming! I know people don't like them. We are trying to decide between walkie talkies and an internet app for our family cruise in July. There are 14 of us and we want to be able to find each other without trying to micromanage everyone as to where and when to meet all day.

Thank you for any help you can give us.

We've tried walkie-talkies a few times, with poor results. I'd go with messaging apps. One nice thing about a messaging app is if someone's phone is turned off, the message gets queued and will appear when the phonenext comes online.

Can you explain how the app works? I imagine we would each need internet on the ship. I am not very tech savy.

Yes, the downside of using an app is that all phones would need internet access.

The app works similar to normal messaging using cell phones, except it does not use the cell network, it uses WiFi.

There are other apps too, such as iMessage (would require all phones to be iPhones), Viber, Line, Skype, etc.

The main communication problem, as I see it, is that the walls, ceilings, etc., are metal. This tends to block signals from traveling far. I'd explore options other than walkie talkies. Any useful information in your other thread on this topic?

Lordy..just have "meet up" times..no micro-managing...no carrying around devices..you are making this too complicated!

Of course we will get together for dinner and have reservations for all the shows. But this is a cruise we are doing for my DH 70th birthday with our 3 children and spouses and 6 grandchildren. The whole point is we want to watch them go zip lining and surfing and rock climbing and everything. We don't want to just hear about it at dinner.

What I mean by micromanaging is no one wants to be told where to be and what to do when for a week. If they decide to do activities we want to be there. With 3 families of grandchildren it would be impossible to know in advance what everyone is doing. That is why we need the ability to be called when stuff is going on.

We brought them on a couple cruises, but they didn't get used much. We could only talk if we were pretty much on the same floor. But, we were able to use them from the ship to Belize. I went back on the ship and left my husband to do some shopping in Belize and we could still talk. Otherwise, we made lots of plans and left lots of notes in the room. I find it to be a pain if you have lots of people. It's cool that Carnival is trying out some low cost apps.

I forgot to mention that we also have the really high range Walkie talkies. They say 30 miles, but we've never gotten them to reach that far.

Edited by Wendyland

Of course we will get together for dinner and have reservations for all the shows. But this is a cruise we are doing for my DH 70th birthday with our 3 children and spouses and 6 grandchildren. The whole point is we want to watch them go zip lining and surfing and rock climbing and everything. We don't want to just hear about it at dinner.

What I mean by micromanaging is no one wants to be told where to be and what to do when for a week. If they decide to do activities we want to be there. With 3 families of grandchildren it would be impossible to know in advance what everyone is doing. That is why we need the ability to be called when stuff is going on.

you get the daily planner/schedule every night at turn down. MAKE PLANS THEN

if everyone just 'wings it' then everyone will all be doing something different at the same time.

Walkie Talkie's do create an annoyance to others .!

Dont forget they also look naff.

Together with the same colored t-shirts and wearing flip flops.

The typical walkie talkie person does not realise how awful they look using them. How they annoy others around them, is not of any issue to the selfish walkiie talkie user,.

Did I mention they look naff ?

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
LYNN lynn LYNN lynn LYNN

Can anyone tell me the best walkie talkies to use on the Oasis. Please no flaming! I know people don't like them. We are trying to decide between walkie talkies and an internet app for our family cruise in July. There are 14 of us and we want to be able to find each other without trying to micromanage everyone as to where and when to meet all day.

Thank you for any help you can give us.

We had really good results with the Midland LXT-560 radios on Allure. We were able to communicate from all over the ship. We use them sparingly when around others and just like a private phone call, would walk away from others and speak quietly. Always off at dinner and the shows, just like our phones. If you are courteous to others, as anyone should be, use them and don't worry about the flamers.

My husband and I were on the NCL Jade last November for two weeks. It was fantastic to use the walkie talkies. Not only did they work on the ship, when I was in my cabin and my husband was in town a way from the ship, he could contact me. We always took them off the ship when we were walking around whatever port we were in.

you will do an awful lot of walking back and forth. Tell the kids to do activities at set times. The ship is HUGE. You might have one set of kids doing zipping while another set is rock climbing.

Set times to do activites as a family-- and give them the rest of the day.

you will do an awful lot of walking back and forth. Tell the kids to do activities at set times. The ship is HUGE. You might have one set of kids doing zipping while another set is rock climbing.

Set times to do activites as a family-- and give them the rest of the day.

We had really good results with the Midland LXT-560 radios on Allure. We were able to communicate from all over the ship. We use them sparingly when around others and just like a private phone call, would walk away from others and speak quietly. Always off at dinner and the shows, just like our phones. If you are courteous to others, as anyone should be, use them and don't worry about the flamers.

Ditto