How to tell when air is ticketed?

bigenna

First time using Princess Cruises Easyair or any cruise air for that matter.

Will I be notified by the cruiseline when my ticket is actually a done deal? Or do I look for it somewhere on their website or phone them?

Or will the airline let me know? And when will I know?

A little nervous about all this as it is the first time it is right out of my control.

Our flights are Air France, YVR CDG BCN on Sept 25th.

And American Airlines FLL DFW YVR, on Oct 17th

Appreciate any input to put me more at ease.

First time using Princess Cruises Easyair or any cruise air for that matter.

Will I be notified by the cruiseline when my ticket is actually a done deal? Or do I look for it somewhere on their website or phone them?

Or will the airline let me know? And when will I know?

A little nervous about all this as it is the first time it is right out of my control.

Our flights are Air France, YVR CDG BCN on Sept 25th.

And American Airlines FLL DFW YVR, on Oct 17th

Appreciate any input to put me more at ease.

Have you selected your seats and pulled up the res through the airline website or spoke with them on the phone to confirm?

They ticket it when you make final payment on your cruise. You can see it when you open your Cruise Summary on Princess' website and scroll down to the flight information. It will shown ticket number once it is ticketed.

The one time I used EZ Air several years ago, I learned that at final payment for the cruise, which includes airfare, at 75 days out, doesn't mean Princess has paid for the airline ticket as yet and if they have not, you cannot select seats.

When I learned this I requested to be ticketed and then I could get our seats selected when the choice was still good.

I'm a little confused.. Our cruise is next May and we already have our seats requested and assigned. When I go to Delta's website and enter the confirmation code from the Personalizer it shows our names and our seat assignment. We can even enter all our Global Entry information..

I believe Restricted tickets are booked immediately. Flexible tickets are booked 45 days before their date.

Yes,that's what they told me, I was able to see our booking on the airline website and book our seats way before final payment, I just cannot print the e-tickets before 45 days.

Sorry if I confused - it was several years back. I now recall that the flexible fare (from Toronto) was LESS than a restricted fare, which you might not expect. It was also less than available elsewhere so I took it. Not long after, I noticed the prices had gone up (which can happen with airfare anyway).

You can pick your seats and you get your confirmation number right away so no worries about not having a seat.

However, Princess doesn't make the payment on the flexible air until you make final payment ( not sure about restricted fares). I discovered this when I tried to upgrade my seats on a Delta flight. The Delta site wouldn't let me upgrade - I finally called them and they said the seats were held but couldn't be upgraded until paid for. The day after I made my final payment for the cruise I was able to do the upgrades without a problem.

Edited by Shelly97060

I've never used Princess air, so please excuse a possibly stupid question. Why do they wait so long? Often desirable seats are gone by then, or flights sold out entirely.

Because they allow pax to make changes up to final ticketing. Prior to that, it's an unticketed res in the airline's system. When I requested our flexible fare flights to be ticketed a few years back, I was probably acknowledging that any changes made would be on my dime after that. I was pretty sure that wasn't going to happen and I wanted my choice of seats.

Edited by steelers36

Because they allow pax to make changes up to final ticketing. Prior to that, it's an unticketed res in the airline's system. When I requested our flexible fare flights to be ticketed a few years back, I was probably acknowledging that any changes made would be on my dime after that. I was pretty sure that wasn't going to happen and I wanted my choice of seats.

I am a bit confused as some posters seem to be able to get seat assignments before making final payment :confused:. I guess I assumed that "flexible" meant unrestricted, with immediate ticketing and changes able to be made up to departure date.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Hi

From the UK - we were able to choose seats etc on final payment. 25 days to go and still not received e-tickets. TA advised that it was up to them not Princess to send them and we will receive them "In plenty of time"

MIL has been known to arrive at the airport with just her passport and there were no problems catching her flight. Being an eticket the airline has all the passenger info to go on anyway.

Adrian.

I think it depends on the airline. Delta allows you to book seats before final payment.

I agree. We booked flexible air that included an international flight with British Air and a domestic flight with American. BA wouldn't allow seat assignments until ticketed but American did.

Delta would not let us upgrade till final payment was made on our upcoming fall flight.By then it was to late all the comfort class seats had been taken. We have flexible tickets..lesson learned. Now I call periodically to see if there has been any cancellations hoping to snag one..

We were able to pick out seats on our flexible fares months before final payment and those seats do show up on the Air France (AF only on the first leg, YVR-CDG) and American Airlines websites.

We paid in full several weeks ago, but just looked at Air France website just now and under the "Tickets" section, still showing not issued.

It is still just a bit over 45 days prior to our first flight so maybe it will show as issued/ticketed in a couple of days.

Thanks for all the replies.

I agree. We booked flexible air that included an international flight with British Air and a domestic flight with American. BA wouldn't allow seat assignments until ticketed but American did.

And Air Canada did not allow. It may have changed since, but if selecting them, good idea to ask.

The one time I used EZ Air several years ago, I learned that at final payment for the cruise, which includes airfare, at 75 days out, doesn't mean Princess has paid for the airline ticket as yet and if they have not, you cannot select seats.

When I learned this I requested to be ticketed and then I could get our seats selected when the choice was still good.

Actually, this is not the case. Being able to get your seat or talk to the airline has nothing to do with being ticketed. And it doesn't matter whether it is flexible or restricted air.

We have used Princess Flexible Air quite a few times in the past two years. We have always been able to access our booking before being actually "ticketed". This was true with Delta, Alitalia, American and Lufthansa.

As long as you use the airline's confirmation number (which shows on the right side of your Princess Air confirmation) and not the one at the top of the page - which is only for Princess, you should be able to access the airline's site to pick/change seats. If not, all it takes is a call to the airline and they can set it up for your access when you give them their confirmation number.

We booked Business Class to London on a Delta flight, with a Flexible fare. We made our reservations the day the entire flight became available, approximately 11 months out. While going through the process the Princess rep asked us what seats we wanted. About 10 minutes later I went on the Delta website and sure enough our seats were no longer available. So at least with Delta you can see your reservation and choose your seats long before you pay for your flights.

We are flying to Buenos Aires in February. Using flex air through Princess. DW went on Delta web site and upgraded to premium seats. We had to pay the difference in price for upgraded seats but not the full price of the ticket. Did this a few days ago.

My experience was we could pick our seats etc and they were reserved. However, with Delta trying to upgrade directly with the airline for economy comfort seats, the actual reservation must be ticketed not reserved. When I talked to Princess they stated they typically did not pay for the airfare until about 60 days before the flight, which is much too short for those upgrades. The solution for us was to pay the entire trip fare, not just airline in full. Once that was processed, about 48 hours we could request that Princess purchase our tickets from Delta via a fax form they emailed me, which takes another couple of days to work itself through the system. At that point a ticket number showed up under airline not the confirmation number. I then called Delta back and was able to pay for the upgraded air seats.

My experience was we could pick our seats etc and they were reserved. However, with Delta trying to upgrade directly with the airline for economy comfort seats, the actual reservation must be ticketed not reserved. When I talked to Princess they stated they typically did not pay for the airfare until about 60 days before the flight, which is much too short for those upgrades. The solution for us was to pay the entire trip fare, not just airline in full. Once that was processed, about 48 hours we could request that Princess purchase our tickets from Delta via a fax form they emailed me, which takes another couple of days to work itself through the system. At that point a ticket number showed up under airline not the confirmation number. I then called Delta back and was able to pay for the upgraded air seats.

Good for you. Wish I had posted this question months back.

I just got ticketed - 45 days out and can now see available seats and after a call to Air France have found out, like you said, all the 'seat plus' economy are taken.

Oh well, I booked under economy so looks like I got what I paid for. Still so looking forward to our time in Venice and Barcelona before our TA cruise.