Reflection Alcoves

Mango Mike

Boy, one of these days I'll learn - made the mistake of showing my wife pictures of the Alcoves on the Reflection and the ear shattering response was "Oooh, Let's Get One!".

I did a bit of research on these things and apparently they're somewhat coveted and tend to book quickly but before I do, I have a few questions:

1) It says I have it from 9:00am - 9:00pm, so I would think this could be a great place to eat lunch. Do others pop down to the Oeanview, grab a plate of goodies then come back up to their domain to eat?

2) Does the Alcove Attendant also serve as a bar waiter (i.e. will he get me one of those frozen rum drinks with an umbrella)?

3) How much do you usually tip the Alcove Attendant?

4) Does Celebrity ever host any events at night (i.e. music & wine party) on the lawn area where having an Alcove would be a plus?

Thanks

We did an Alcove for 1 day last year. It includes a couple of bottles of water and a fruit/cheese plate. It turned out not to be a good weather day - rained off an on - very cloudy. There was one other Alcove that had anyone in it & he stayed for about 1 hr & left. Later afternoon people showed up for 2 of the other Alcoves but they left after about 45 mins.

The attendant was a waiter from the Lawn Grill (it wasn't open)and he did offer to get us drinks but since there was no one using the other Alcoves he apparently got bored with nothing to do & disappeared - not a big deal as the Sunset Bar is just steps away.

Doubt that I would do it again.

I cannot answer any of your questions as I have never had one, but I will pass along one caution from my parents who got one on a recent cruise of theirs they took with some friends and other family members -- if you book it during a sea day it is highly likely that the cabana will be retracted while underway due to high winds over the deck, so you will not have much shade. If you look closely at the nice X promotional materials for the Alcoves they describe them as "cabana-style areas", they don't guarantee that you will have a cabana! ;)

Even if you get one during a port day, once you get underway the cabana may need to be retracted once the ship gets up to speed, limiting your shade. So you may get a lot of use out of the provided handheld fans and chilled towels - out of necessity! :)

Was o Reflection in February and walked past the alcoves a lot. Even sat in one for a while. They were always empty. The cost is huge and really, it is just nice place to sit.

If anything is going on on the Lawn,which did not happen on our cruise, it is open to everyone, the alcove expires at 9 so I would not be surprised to see people move in.

We had the alcove during 2 sea days. In December, and I wish we hadn't because now I we will want one on every Caribbean cruise! It was such a pleasure, not to have to run down to the pool and get our seats (as I don't believe in just putting down my things and leaving the chairs for hours!) we took our time, had breakfast and then settled in the Alcove.

We absolutely got our lunch and ate it in the cabana. It was very relaxing. We did not ask the attendant to get us drinks, but he brought our water and cheese plate and fruit, and then refilled our ice all day.

We could have stayed in the alcove until 9:00, but we did not.

We never had a problem with the cabana being retracted. We left it closed as my husband like shade, but I was able to move around and get sun, too.

It was a very peaceful day, and we loved it.

That was our experience.

We never had a problem with the cabana being retracted. We left it closed as my husband like shade, but I was able to move around and get sun, too.

Good to hear. Maybe my parents' experience was not typical? Would be interested to get more feedback from others as to whether winds prevented them from extending their cabanas. Just the risk of having that happen to me would prevent me from reserving one. But at least from the feedback so far it sounds like there is no need to book them in advance, so if we wanted one we could see what the conditions were like the day we wanted it and make sure it could be opened before renting.

Hi! We used an alcove on a port day last November on the Reflection. We had been to Cozumel many times, so we decided to stay onboard and relax in an alcove. It was a FANTASTIC, relaxing day, and we enjoyed the peace and quiet and the use of our beverage package! :) The alcove attendant, who had been one of our waiters at Lawn Club Grill earlier in the week, was very attentive and checked in with us throughout the day to see what we needed - water, cool towels, cheese plate, etc. He did bring us drinks, though we also took a stroll to grab some ourselves. The best part, for us, was the ability to have sun and shade areas together. My husband is a shade lover and I am a sun worshipper. It was easy to adjust the awning so that we each had space to enjoy what we loved. We were able to keep the awning up all day, as well as when we pulled out of port and were cruising - no problems with wind at all. We would (and will!!) do it again in a heartbeat. If you do reserve on a port day, it's a little less expensive (I think it was $99).

Good to hear. Maybe my parents' experience was not typical? Would be interested to get more feedback from others as to whether winds prevented them from extending their cabanas. Just the risk of having that happen to me would prevent me from reserving one. But at least from the feedback so far it sounds like there is no need to book them in advance, so if we wanted one we could see what the conditions were like the day we wanted it and make sure it could be opened before renting.

I would say it depends on the cruise and how much you really want the alcove. I rented ours before the cruise, online, and the third port day was already sold out.

Once on board all 3 port days were sold out The weather can certainly be a gamble, but you have to decide how disappointed you would be if one was not available, and weigh your options.

The Alcoves are lovely. People say no one is ever in them but that is because you have them for 12 hours and can go and come as you please. You can go and watch a talk in the theatre or meet someone for trivia and when you come back it is sitting there waiting for you:) No hunting for 2 loungers together, no pool bedlam along with the noise. The bartender from the Sunset bar swings by regularly, there are games on the lawn which are fun to watch, if you are lucky there are jazz nights on the lawn. If you have friends you can split the cost as it easily holds 4 people. Phone Specialty Dining for a reservation but beware the sea days fill up fast!!

We (two couples) reserved Alcoves for two of our three sea days in early February prior to boarding the Reflection. They were completely booked for the third sea day. I would definitely book ahead of time. Our attendant brought fruit late morning and cheese/crackers mid afternoon. We also ordered Bloody Mary's one morning and frozen drinks and mojitos one afternoon. The first sea day was very windy so the awning couldn't be put up but was used on the second sea day. It just depends on the weather. I think they are better suited for two or three people. Although there is seating for four, you can't spread out and get comfortable and there is only one lounge chair. If were just my husband and myself we would book one again but wouldn't book with others.

I have rented one on sea days three different times, we really enjoy them. Also, we have not yet experienced having to retract the canopy but I do know it occurs.

Is it an added expense? Yep

Is the value mostly intrinsic? Yep

1) It says I have it from 9:00am - 9:00pm, so I would think this could be a great place to eat lunch. Do others pop down to the Oeanview, grab a plate of goodies then come back up to their domain to eat?

It is not the perfect place to eat lunch due to the height of the table, but it is pretty much like eating in front of the TV using a coffee table. I have done exactly as you have described using Oceanview to grab pizza and other lunch items, all three times.

2) Does the Alcove Attendant also serve as a bar waiter (i.e. will he get me one of those frozen rum drinks with an umbrella)?

We have asked him to get drinks but when they are super busy or I get bored I usually walk over to the bar

Good question. On all three days we rented they have split the day between two attendants. First one opens things up and then trades off at lunch. So, you may be tipping two... I give them $20 if they have provided good service and/or we order drinks

4) Does Celebrity ever host any events at night (i.e. music & wine party) on the lawn area where having an Alcove would be a plus?

I know they have in the past but by the end of the day we usually don't have much interest in going back up in the evening

Thanks

We (two couples) reserved Alcoves for two of our three sea days in early February prior to boarding the Reflection. They were completely booked for the third sea day. I would definitely book ahead of time. Our attendant brought fruit late morning and cheese/crackers mid afternoon. We also ordered Bloody Mary's one morning and frozen drinks and mojitos one afternoon. The first sea day was very windy so the awning couldn't be put up but was used on the second sea day. It just depends on the weather. I think they are better suited for two or three people. Although there is seating for four, you can't spread out and get comfortable and there is only one lounge chair. If were just my husband and myself we would book one again but wouldn't book with others.

I think sharing the Alcove worked well for us because we were not always there at the same time. They did their own thing as did we. If we happened to meet up at the Alcove we would chat a while and catch up and then we were off. So nice to have that place on deck to return to:)

Boy, one of these days I'll learn - made the mistake of showing my wife pictures of the Alcoves on the Reflection and the ear shattering response was "Oooh, Let's Get One!".

I did a bit of research on these things and apparently they're somewhat coveted and tend to book quickly but before I do, I have a few questions:

Thanks

We try to always book an alcove on the Silly and Reflection. We do eat lunch in the alcove. Yes, you can bring lunch for the grill or buffet- . The alcove attendants will bring you any drink you request- you have a phone to call them in the alcove. If you have the drink package-no charge to you. In addition, they bring you a beautiful cheese and fruit platter and bottled cold water when requested. The will refresh your Ice. Towels are also placed in the Alcove. Honestly, depending upon the service the tips vary. We typically (if one week) give $10 per day- have given more or less. If the weather is very windy- the awning will not get put up- Has happened a few times to us- sometimes for a part of the day- At night yes music and wine parties as well as other events are held. If you take the Alcove for one week, you get one day free. I book sea days first- as they go quickly, and when on board if we desire book for the week- typically the sea days go fast- but the port days do not. We have seen all of the ports multiple times and do not spend much time at each so we enjoy coming back to a quiet ship and enjoy our alcove.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Cruise a holic

• 4 months later...
Just booked my first alcove on our upcoming med cruise on the first sea day. I have a question, do you get to pick which alcove you want or is it just assigned? Also, is there a better one or a worse one?

Thanks for the help!

The two times I had them, they were just assigned, I don't think you can get a bad one though, all very centrally located, I think that's what makes them so coveted.

One other thing I didn't see mentioned but I consider notable is that each alcove has its own telephone that connects you directly with waiter, so even if the waiter is not visible, you can pick up the phone and make your request

Actually while they are assigned, if you get to the lawn grill around 9:00 am the attendant arrives. I like to be on the non-smoking side of the ship and prefer the one closer to the Lawn grill and the porch- If not available, the one next to it- However no bad location.

+1

Go down at 9:00 and talk with the attendant, who will also be working at Lawn Club. Each alcove has a plate in front where the attendant slips a piece of paper with your name. Some cruisers are repeat customers who know the attendant and have set locations. However, I have always had good luck getting a center one even if he has already set the names up. Some people don't care as much about location.

Has anyone ever booked one on a TA?

We are on the Sillie TA 11/5 and have heard that the weather is usually wonderful for the crossing...

Does "wonderful" mean folks are by the pool... we have a LARGE OBC and have already booked our drink package... hoping to get the UDP but in case that does not work out.....

I checked the other day and ALL sea days are available...I will not book until we get on board... but just wondering if the weather is conducive to sun-bathing!!

Thanx trish

We were planning on using our OBC for two days in The Alcoves on our Reflection cruise next April, but found out they must be paid for in advance. Anyone know of a work around that would allow us to book or reserve now, but use that OBC for payment?

Pretty sure I know the answer, but figured I'd ask more experienced cruisers for opinions.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by jryan110

We were planning on using our OBC for two days in The Alcoves on our Reflection cruise next April, but found out they must be paid for in advance. Anyone know of a work around that would allow us to book or reserve now, but use that OBC for payment?

Pretty sure I know the answer, but figured I'd ask more experienced cruisers for opinions.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jay you can book one on board, if they are available. But it is 50/50.

Please note if the wind is strong, the top will not be up and you will be in direct sun. We book on most silly and reflection sailings and have had this happen a few times. Since we do not like direct sun, at those times sat someplace else.

overall about 80% of the time we have had no problems during the day or part of the day.

Edited by Cruise a holic

1) Yes, you can get food elsewhere and bring into the alcove. We've done it several times.

2) Yes, the alcove attendant serves as a bar waiter. Sometimes they've been very attentive, other times not so much. The sunset bar is just around the corner and we've sometimes tipped a Sunset bar waiter to keep checking on us.

3) Tips are up to the individual. We tend to be generous tippers though. Can't recall specifically what we tipped as it's been a couple years since we were on a ship with alcoves.

4) One night I recall a "jazz on the lawn" type event in the early evening. We had our alcove til 9pm so were able to use it for the event. Those without alcoves sat on the lawn on on towels.

I also thought of getting an alcove with obc, but do they have reclining loungers? The pictures always look like there are just chairs and a sofa.

No, they do not have reclining loungers. Just the chairs and daybed/sofa that you see.