Need Help Regarding Pre-Cruise Hotels, Transportation, Tours in Rome

DragonOfTheSeas

Thanks for the info on phone and Uber info.

I've been watching flight prices on Air2Sea and other sites; right now Air2Sea is a little higher. Probably going to keep watching for another 2 weeks before booking. Right now our roll call only has one other person, so will wait to see if others join or not.

Wow! I have never seen a roll call with only 2 participants. Good luck and have a great cruise. :)

I am trying to find out if we can go to the Papal Audience on Wednesday. We are staying in a hotel in the area of the Trevia Fountain. I am not sure how we get to Vatican City but will we have time to go to the service return to our hotel for transfers to the port. We will be leaving on a cruise that day. I believe the boat leaves at 7:00 pm not sure what time we are suppose to check in. Any help is greatly appreciated it's just me and my daughter and I am little leery of getting lost or whatever else could happen.

I was reading a different thread yesterday and CruiseMom mentioned visiting somewhere I have not seen mentioned before--

Baths of Caracalla. I looked on Trip Advisor and it looks interesting. Several people mentioned using Virtual Reality glasses. [to see what it would have looked like]

Have you visited the Baths of Caracalla? Is it a must see? Has anyone used the VR glasses? If so, did they give you a vertigo feeling walking around? Or do you only put them on to look at a building and then take them off. . . . any other details would be appreciated. TIA

I was reading a different thread yesterday and CruiseMom mentioned visiting somewhere I have not seen mentioned before--

Baths of Caracalla. I looked on Trip Advisor and it looks interesting. Several people mentioned using Virtual Reality glasses. [to see what it would have looked like]

Have you visited the Baths of Caracalla? Is it a must see? Has anyone used the VR glasses? If so, did they give you a vertigo feeling walking around? Or do you only put them on to look at a building and then take them off. . . . any other details would be appreciated. TIA

I'm not sure anyone will have experienced the VR component yet as it was just introduced this season. However, I've visited the Baths before and even without the glasses they are a real eye-opener and the best-preserved Imperial baths anywhere (as far as I know....and I've seen a lot of Roman baths!). They have an excellent audioguide that provides enough detail to give you the full picture without being long and boring.

At any rate, I will be in Rome at the end of May and I plan to re-visit the Baths then and try out the VR part. I'll post on the boards a review of that & other activities when I get back.

I'm not sure anyone will have experienced the VR component yet as it was just introduced this season. However, I've visited the Baths before and even without the glasses they are a real eye-opener and the best-preserved Imperial baths anywhere (as far as I know....and I've seen a lot of Roman baths!). They have an excellent audioguide that provides enough detail to give you the full picture without being long and boring.

At any rate, I will be in Rome at the end of May and I plan to re-visit the Baths then and try out the VR part. I'll post on the boards a review of that & other activities when I get back.

Thank you. I will look forward to your review. I read they only have 15 pair of glasses for use. How far in advance did you rent those?

I am trying to find out if we can go to the Papal Audience on Wednesday. We are staying in a hotel in the area of the Trevia Fountain. I am not sure how we get to Vatican City but will we have time to go to the service return to our hotel for transfers to the port. We will be leaving on a cruise that day. I believe the boat leaves at 7:00 pm not sure what time we are suppose to check in. Any help is greatly appreciated it's just me and my daughter and I am little leery of getting lost or whatever else could happen.

I am sorry you have not gotten a reply from someone with experience in this. However. I noted that the Papal audience starts between 10-10:30 am and lasts around 1-1.5 hrs. The same site says it is best to arrive between 8-9 to get a good seat. I would take a taxi to get there on time. It is too far to walk.

You should have plenty of time to take a taxi back to your hotel and then take a taxi or shared shuttle to the port for a 7 pm departure.

I am in the process of emailing various transfer companies in Rome. For the 4 of us Rome in Limo transfer from Rome to port would be 170 euro. They are often mentioned on CC. Adding a stop in Bracciano to see the castle would be 400 euros. It is interesting to note they answered my email in 15 minutes. Impressive! :p

I found this website for Rome Cabs that has the exact tour we are considering.

http://www.romecabs.com/tours/precruise-rome-countryside-tour/

Their price for 4 on this transfer/tour would be 350 euros. But, if we get 2 other couples it would only be 450 euros. 8 is the max in their vans and it includes 1 large suitcase and a carry per person [this seems to be standard for a transfer].

I also sent an email to the Iteritaly company. I found them on Trip Advisor.

Are there any other companies you have used for transfer I should contact?

I am also on the Jewel of the Sea and considering staying at the Hilton FCO. Would be interested in sharing a ride to the ship. Please email me so we can discuss. colerosebud@aol.com

I am also on the Jewel of the Sea and considering staying at the Hilton FCO. Would be interested in sharing a ride to the ship. Please email me so we can discuss. colerosebud@aol.com

Hello! I will be good to be cruising with you.

Actually we will be staying at the FCO Hilton only on the first night in Rome. [November1] Then we will stay in the city center for 3 nights [November 2-4] If this works for you let me know. We will travel to Civitiveccia [sp?] from there. We have not picked a hotel yet.

We are always happy to share transportation. We will let you know when we select a hotel.

FYI--I found this listed on one of the tour vendor sites. Bummer. The cost is very little, but, this will make it harder to just drop in if you have a hotel nearby. Has anyone heard if the tickets will be timed? :(

PANTHEON TICKETS

It has been reported that starting in May, the Pantheon will begin charging Admission Tickets to enter the Pantheon (currently estimated at 2 Euros per person). Please be prepared for potential ticket lines and/or wait times.

FYI--I found this listed on one of the tour vendor sites. Bummer. The cost is very little, but, this will make it harder to just drop in if you have a hotel nearby. Has anyone heard if the tickets will be timed? :(

PANTHEON TICKETS

It has been reported that starting in May, the Pantheon will begin charging Admission Tickets to enter the Pantheon (currently estimated at 2 Euros per person). Please be prepared for potential ticket lines and/or wait times.

We will be in Rome staying near the Pantheon May 3 - 6. I will check it out and report back. We were there in November 2017 and there was no charge. We were staying in the same area and went in a couple of times and walked by it everyday and it never seemed too crowded. There was never a line, we just walked right in.

Barbara

I doubt the Pantheon tickets will be timed; I suspect it's just an effort to keep folks from wandering in and out repeatedly (like me, unfortunately...) I'll be in Rome at the end of May and will certainly check it out.

During off-peak season it is not usually a problem to get in -- I never have seen a line in November! But during peak season, it can get very crowded.

It's sad that tourism forces such changes, but Rome is such a popular destination and there's no way around the crowds. It wasn't that long ago when there was no charge to enter the Forum either. :(

I've stayed in quite a few different locations around Rome, including right behind the Forum of Nerva (aka, near the Colosseum and Forum). But I have to say that my favorite area is near the Pantheon.

The area is very central, which is probably the most important thing to me. Walkable to just about everywhere although the Vatican is always the outlier. There are a lot of restaurants in both locations, but some of my favorites are in the vicinity of the Pantheon.

Also, being near the Pantheon (which is my favorite ancient building in ANY location), I can recommend visiting it early in the morning when the doors first open; also Trevi is just a few minutes in one direction and Campo dei Fiori in the other -- both good for an early morning walk before they are overrun with tourists. Another thought -- if you are near the Pantheon and it starts to rain, go inside and watch the rain coming in through the oculus and notice the ingenious ancient drainage system.

I have stayed in several hotels near the Pantheon and all have their pluses/minuses:

Albergo del Senato: a wonderful hotel right on the Piazza della Rotonda with Pantheon views, the only minus to me is the cost. Twice I've gotten one of their rooms overlooking the Piazza and the Pantheon, it is beyond wonderful. Although I spend very little time in a hotel room in Rome, there is something about waking up, pulling the shutter open and seeing the Pantheon that says "I am in ROME!". Very traditional Italian style with antiques, etc. but nicely modernized baths.

Albergo Chiara: Right behind the Pantheon. A traditional style hotel like the del Senato but a bit less expensive and not quite as deluxe although most of their rooms have been recently redone and are quite nice. Very nice breakfast.

9Hotel Cesari (formerly Albergo Cesari): About halfway between Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon in a very "happening" area at night (lots of young workers gather on the piazza in front for a cocktail or dinner). Hotel rooms are not as updated as at the previous two hotels although full disclosure I've not stayed there since it became a 9Hotel last year. However, I am planning to stay there again on my next visit to Rome in late May, so that should tell you something. The service is friendly and the rooftop area for breakfast (and at night, drinks) is really a plus.

Hotel Navona: A more budget-conscious option near Piazza Navona on a quieter street. Hotel occupies several floors of a palazzo that dates waaay back and incorporates some ancient Roman columns. Rooms are small-ish but updated and the breakfast area is likewise small and can be crowded. But the location is very good for the cost.

For the area nearer the Colosseum, I've stayed at Hotel Nerva, which started out somewhat humbler but became popular as a Rick Steves pick in hotels. I think it has been completely redone but it is still family-run and if the breakfasts haven't changed they were quite good and plentiful.

(Don't get your hopes up about Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. The interior is wonderful as a rare Gothic example in Rome and it has a Michelangelo sculpture. But I've never been able to get into the crypt. On the other hand, I can recommend the Basilica of San Clemente near the Colosseum as a wonderful 'time capsule' with three different levels of history including a crypt that includes part of a Roman house and a private temple to Mithras....)

Thank you for the hotel recommendations in Rome. DW and I will be doing a princess cruise from Rome to Barcelona. Thinking of staying 3-4 days pre-cruise in Rome.

Do the private transfer service mentioned in this thread pick up at these hotels for pre-cruise half day tour combined with transfer to the cruise port? Is the quoted rate for car service per person? For example quoted price: €130 for up to 2 persons in car. Is that for per person? Or for 2 persons?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Thank you for the hotel recommendations in Rome. DW and I will be doing a princess cruise from Rome to Barcelona. Thinking of staying 3-4 days pre-cruise in Rome.

Do the private transfer service mentioned in this thread pick up at these hotels for pre-cruise half day tour combined with transfer to the cruise port? Is the quoted rate for car service per person? For example quoted price: €130 for up to 2 persons in car. Is that for per person? Or for 2 persons?

Three to four days in Rome is a good plan.

Private transfers -- it will depend on the specific service but yes, a lot of them will offer a half-day tour with transfer option. The more basic ones may not.

The prices -- if quoted as "130 euro for up to two" then it's 130 total, not 130 per person.

Keep in mind, though, that this would be the price for the basic transfer probably -- not for a tour + transfer option.

There are more basic transfers that are as little as 85 euro per couple as well, but often this is for a shared shuttle.

Enjoy your trip!

Three to four days in Rome is a good plan.

Private transfers -- it will depend on the specific service but yes, a lot of them will offer a half-day tour with transfer option. The more basic ones may not.

The prices -- if quoted as "130 euro for up to two" then it's 130 total, not 130 per person.

Keep in mind, though, that this would be the price for the basic transfer probably -- not for a tour + transfer option.

There are more basic transfers that are as little as 85 euro per couple as well, but often this is for a shared shuttle.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you!

It will be our first visit, and cruise Rome to Barcelona. :)

I don’t mind booking just a basic transfer in a shared shuttle.from our hotel in Rome to the cruise port. Do you have any recommendations of how to book space on a shuttle service, or will the hotel arrange that for us? Should we reserve shuttle we’ll in advance?

We have no mobility issues so plan on doing sightseeing in Rome on our own.

Regards.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Thank you!

It will be our first visit, and cruise Rome to Barcelona. :)

I don’t mind booking just a basic transfer in a shared shuttle.from our hotel in Rome to the cruise port. Do you have any recommendations of how to book space on a shuttle service, or will the hotel arrange that for us? Should we reserve shuttle we’ll in advance?

We have no mobility issues so plan on doing sightseeing in Rome on our own.

Regards.

romashuttle.com is a shared shuttle service I've used -- 85 euro for two from Rome to Civitavecchia. You should arrange in advance. (be sure to get the spelling right, there are numerous services with similar names -- it is romAshuttle not romEshuttle)

Hotels can also arrange something for you but they have preferred services which probably will be a little higher.

Rome is best seen on foot, so have fun wandering the city. I do recommend reserving tickets in advance tickets for the Vatican museum to avoid wasting a long time in line.

• 2 weeks later...

We're booked on the upcoming NCL Epic May sailing round trip from Rome. Flying into Rome 2 nights early and staying at the Trevi Rome Suite, just steps from the fountain. Tentative plan is to wander on our own the day we arrive, then we have the infamous golf cart tour at night. My MIL had 2 knee replacements this year, so we were looking for something with minimal walking to see the sights at night, fingers crossed that it isn't the horror show that some have alluded to.

Day 2 is an early morning at the Vatican with random city wanderings that evening. Day 3 we've booked a driver to bring us to Tivoli to see the gardens, before taking us to the port to board our ship. Hotel put us in contact with a car service for airport - to - hotel transfers (55 euro for 3 passengers), the other trips we booked through Viator and the Tivoli trip is through Civitavecchia Shuttle Express.

After getting back to Rome after the cruise, we're going to attempt to catch a 9:45am train from the port to Rome Termini station, and then get on a train to Venice for 2 nights, followed by Florence for 3 nights.

For those who have previously done this cruise, is it realistic to think we can catch the 9:45am train if the ship is scheduled to dock at 6am on disembarkation day?

Many museums are closed, but a lot of sites and churches are open. If you plan well, you'll easily find something to do on a Monday morning. Some things open on Mondays:

Vatican museum (one of the few)

Colosseum, Forum & Palatine Hill

The Domus Romane at Palazzo Valentini (reservations a must)

Baths of Caracalla

Galleria Doria Pamphilj (family palazzo crammed with Renaissance and Baroque art)

Basilica of San Clemente -- fascinating church with 3 levels of history

All 3 of the major catacombs along the Appian Way

These are just some ideas and favorites of mine (well, except for the Domus Romane, but many people enjoy it) -- I could easily find half a dozen more as well.

Basilica of San Clemente was one of my favourite things we did in Rome

Basilica of San Clemente was one of my favourite things we did in Rome

I see this has very positive reviews on TripAdvisor. Why did you feel it was your favorite? That is impressive with all of the sites Rome has to offer. :)

I have to add this to my list of possible places to visit on our 3rd day in Rome.

I see this has very positive reviews on TripAdvisor. Why did you feel it was your favorite? That is impressive with all of the sites Rome has to offer. :)

I have to add this to my list of possible places to visit on our 3rd day in Rome.

I think I enjoyed it because it was "unexpected" I didn't know anything about it previous.

My father made me take him there, I had no interest tbh because we were so rushed for time and there was so many other places I had yet to see in Rome...

He wanted to visit tomb of the Saint Cyril. My father being Macedonian decent it was close to his heart as St Cyril was the founder of the alphabet used in the Balkans region. I just remember the thrill of going down those catacombs and not knowing how far it goes down etc The smell, the walls, mosaics! it was like being in a movie!

It wasn't as jam packed as the other tourist sites and 5-10 euro entry from memory. Just got goosebumps thinking about it again:eek:. That cold feeling the lower you got...

San Clemente is very unique. Basically it is a like a three layer walk through Rome's history in a single location. The top and "newest" layer is from the 12th century. (Wrap your mind around that...!) It is a beautiful basilica with some gorgeous mosaics and a lovely small cloister.

The top layer is free, but to visit the two layers below there is a small charge. You walk down one floor and you are in the midst of a 4th century early Christian basilica that was used until 1084 when it was badly damaged and the new church was built above. It has a wonderful sort of spooky atmosphere and lots of faded frescoes, old columns, etc.

Finally you go down to the lowest layer, which dates to Roman times (1st c. AD) and includes rooms from a Roman house that had a mithraeum (where the pagan god Mithras was worshipped), but also part of a narrow Roman street and other rooms that might have been warehouses for goods or even a part of a treasury.

Very interesting place. Do check the hours as it closes for a couple of hours from mid-day to early afternoon. More detailed info on what you'll see there: http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/rome-san-clemente

San Clemente is very unique. Basically it is a like a three layer walk through Rome's history in a single location. The top and "newest" layer is from the 12th century. (Wrap your mind around that...!) It is a beautiful basilica with some gorgeous mosaics and a lovely small cloister.

The top layer is free, but to visit the two layers below there is a small charge. You walk down one floor and you are in the midst of a 4th century early Christian basilica that was used until 1084 when it was badly damaged and the new church was built above. It has a wonderful sort of spooky atmosphere and lots of faded frescoes, old columns, etc.

Finally you go down to the lowest layer, which dates to Roman times (1st c. AD) and includes rooms from a Roman house that had a mithraeum (where the pagan god Mithras was worshipped), but also part of a narrow Roman street and other rooms that might have been warehouses for goods or even a part of a treasury.

Very interesting place. Do check the hours as it closes for a couple of hours from mid-day to early afternoon. More detailed info on what you'll see there: http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/rome-san-clemente

We also visited while we were in Rome in 2015. I had no idea what to expect and was total in awe of the whole experience. I would highly recommend if you have the time.