Need Help Regarding Pre-Cruise Hotels, Transportation, Tours in Rome

DragonOfTheSeas

I will come back and let you know what works [and does not] after our trip.

Thank you I will appreciate any tips and pointers. Especially your transportation (Taxi or Uber) and wether you used a guide or not. We have also thought about just booking a tour that will pick up from the airport hotel and take us only to Ostia but I would rather do it DYI

Wow, according to the website they only close Christmas and New Year's days and May 1. When are you going to be there?

May 1. I would usually take a winter vacation in February or March, but I broke my arm and will be having physical therapy for quite a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry to be radio silent for the last couple of weeks. I have been using my time wisely researching hotels and neighborhoods in Rome. :D:cool::D

On our previous TAs we stayed pre-cruise near one of the attractions we wanted to visit. In Barcelona our B & B was adjacent to Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter. In London we were 2 blocks from the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. We visited these sites in the early morning before other tourists got there and in the evening. We really got the feeling of the neighborhood. I will never forget watching them add red poppies to the moat around the Tower of London to commemorate the casualties in WWI.

We will have 3 full days to tour in Rome. Attractions that we want to visit are below. [These are in no particular order of preference and it is only the main attractions. I will research other sites, too]

Vatican/St Peter’s Basilica/museums

Colosseum/Forum/PalantineHill

Circus Maximus

Pantheon

Piazza Navona

Spanish Steps

Trevi Fountain

Campo di Fiori

So. . . keeping that in mind I have narrowed down the hotel search to the area around Plaza Navona and the Pantheon and the area around the Colosseum/Forum.

I am leaning toward the PiazzaNavona/Pantheon area. I noted that there are several smaller churches and other places in that area that are interesting to visit. For example, Santa MariaSopra Minerva is built over the old Temple of Minerva. Also, the Palazzo Chigi is the home of the Italian Prime Minister and is within walking distance.[many others] This area may be walking distance to the Vatican depending how we are feeling that day.

The Pantheon is free and a relatively quick visit. A late afternoon visit might be a good use of our time.

Who has stayed in one of these 2 areas? Does anyone feel one of the 2 areas is better than the other? A lot more expensive than the other? It seems there are ample restaurants in both places.

Names of any specific hotels you feel are better than the others? DH tells me we do not have a budget for thehotel. . . . However, I do not see us staying at a 5-star hotel. We hope to spend most of our time exploring the city. rather than a hotel

Opinions?

In 2015 we stayed in The Grand Palatino Hotel, it was part of our pre cruise land package. It was near the Colosseum and The Victor Imanual. It was not a bad location but this next trip we plan on staying near the Pantheon. I believe it is a better location, more centrally located.

In 2015 we stayed in The Grand Palatino Hotel, it was part of our pre cruise land package. It was near the Colosseum and The Victor Imanual. It was not a bad location but this next trip we plan on staying near the Pantheon. I believe it is a better location, more centrally located.

Thank you--Looking at the many places to visit we thought that, too.

Thank you--Looking at the many places to visit we thought that, too.

We are looking at the 9Cesari ( formerly the Albergo Cesari) it has great reviews on trip advisor as well as here and the location looks perfect.

I've stayed in quite a few different locations around Rome, including right behind the Forum of Nerva (aka, near the Colosseum and Forum). But I have to say that my favorite area is near the Pantheon.

The area is very central, which is probably the most important thing to me. Walkable to just about everywhere although the Vatican is always the outlier. There are a lot of restaurants in both locations, but some of my favorites are in the vicinity of the Pantheon.

Also, being near the Pantheon (which is my favorite ancient building in ANY location), I can recommend visiting it early in the morning when the doors first open; also Trevi is just a few minutes in one direction and Campo dei Fiori in the other -- both good for an early morning walk before they are overrun with tourists. Another thought -- if you are near the Pantheon and it starts to rain, go inside and watch the rain coming in through the oculus and notice the ingenious ancient drainage system.

I have stayed in several hotels near the Pantheon and all have their pluses/minuses:

Albergo del Senato: a wonderful hotel right on the Piazza della Rotonda with Pantheon views, the only minus to me is the cost. Twice I've gotten one of their rooms overlooking the Piazza and the Pantheon, it is beyond wonderful. Although I spend very little time in a hotel room in Rome, there is something about waking up, pulling the shutter open and seeing the Pantheon that says "I am in ROME!". Very traditional Italian style with antiques, etc. but nicely modernized baths.

Albergo Chiara: Right behind the Pantheon. A traditional style hotel like the del Senato but a bit less expensive and not quite as deluxe although most of their rooms have been recently redone and are quite nice. Very nice breakfast.

9Hotel Cesari (formerly Albergo Cesari): About halfway between Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon in a very "happening" area at night (lots of young workers gather on the piazza in front for a cocktail or dinner). Hotel rooms are not as updated as at the previous two hotels although full disclosure I've not stayed there since it became a 9Hotel last year. However, I am planning to stay there again on my next visit to Rome in late May, so that should tell you something. The service is friendly and the rooftop area for breakfast (and at night, drinks) is really a plus.

Hotel Navona: A more budget-conscious option near Piazza Navona on a quieter street. Hotel occupies several floors of a palazzo that dates waaay back and incorporates some ancient Roman columns. Rooms are small-ish but updated and the breakfast area is likewise small and can be crowded. But the location is very good for the cost.

For the area nearer the Colosseum, I've stayed at Hotel Nerva, which started out somewhat humbler but became popular as a Rick Steves pick in hotels. I think it has been completely redone but it is still family-run and if the breakfasts haven't changed they were quite good and plentiful.

(Don't get your hopes up about Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. The interior is wonderful as a rare Gothic example in Rome and it has a Michelangelo sculpture. But I've never been able to get into the crypt. On the other hand, I can recommend the Basilica of San Clemente near the Colosseum as a wonderful 'time capsule' with three different levels of history including a crypt that includes part of a Roman house and a private temple to Mithras....)

I've stayed in quite a few different locations around Rome, including right behind the Forum of Nerva (aka, near the Colosseum and Forum). But I have to say that my favorite area is near the Pantheon.

The area is very central, which is probably the most important thing to me. Walkable to just about everywhere although the Vatican is always the outlier. There are a lot of restaurants in both locations, but some of my favorites are in the vicinity of the Pantheon.

Also, being near the Pantheon (which is my favorite ancient building in ANY location), I can recommend visiting it early in the morning when the doors first open; also Trevi is just a few minutes in one direction and Campo dei Fiori in the other -- both good for an early morning walk before they are overrun with tourists. Another thought -- if you are near the Pantheon and it starts to rain, go inside and watch the rain coming in through the oculus and notice the ingenious ancient drainage system.

I have stayed in several hotels near the Pantheon and all have their pluses/minuses:

Albergo del Senato: a wonderful hotel right on the Piazza della Rotonda with Pantheon views, the only minus to me is the cost. Twice I've gotten one of their rooms overlooking the Piazza and the Pantheon, it is beyond wonderful. Although I spend very little time in a hotel room in Rome, there is something about waking up, pulling the shutter open and seeing the Pantheon that says "I am in ROME!". Very traditional Italian style with antiques, etc. but nicely modernized baths.

Albergo Chiara: Right behind the Pantheon. A traditional style hotel like the del Senato but a bit less expensive and not quite as deluxe although most of their rooms have been recently redone and are quite nice. Very nice breakfast.

9Hotel Cesari (formerly Albergo Cesari): About halfway between Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon in a very "happening" area at night (lots of young workers gather on the piazza in front for a cocktail or dinner). Hotel rooms are not as updated as at the previous two hotels although full disclosure I've not stayed there since it became a 9Hotel last year. However, I am planning to stay there again on my next visit to Rome in late May, so that should tell you something. The service is friendly and the rooftop area for breakfast (and at night, drinks) is really a plus.

Hotel Navona: A more budget-conscious option near Piazza Navona on a quieter street. Hotel occupies several floors of a palazzo that dates waaay back and incorporates some ancient Roman columns. Rooms are small-ish but updated and the breakfast area is likewise small and can be crowded. But the location is very good for the cost.

For the area nearer the Colosseum, I've stayed at Hotel Nerva, which started out somewhat humbler but became popular as a Rick Steves pick in hotels. I think it has been completely redone but it is still family-run and if the breakfasts haven't changed they were quite good and plentiful.

(Don't get your hopes up about Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. The interior is wonderful as a rare Gothic example in Rome and it has a Michelangelo sculpture. But I've never been able to get into the crypt. On the other hand, I can recommend the Basilica of San Clemente near the Colosseum as a wonderful 'time capsule' with three different levels of history including a crypt that includes part of a Roman house and a private temple to Mithras....)

Thank you for all of the hotel options and please update on the 9hotel when you return.

I have another unusual question. Has anyone done a golf cart tour in Rome? I came across these as I was researching. DH loves the idea and wants to do at least one of these. I would be OK with one, but I think walking gives us a flavor of the city. [we plan to stay in a central hotel] However, I agree that this would conserve our energy, particularly on the last day when we have visited the nearby locales. . . . and will be pretty tired from all the touring.

They get great reviews on Trip Advisor. They use the side streets and alleys to get around and can get into places most tours can not travel.

Has anyone done one of these?

Hi, I havent read all the posts but I wanted to respond to yours. We did the golf cart tour last year. It was awful and honestly dangerous. They took us on main streets, no side streets, no quaint shops or restaurants. No one on the tour, which were 8 of us liked it. And I can honestly say that I have never been unhappy with a tour I have read and researched on CC before and after. Usually the guides are excellent and witty, sadly the one we had just told us information like she was reading it from a book. I hope, if you have already booked it, or already did the tour that it was excellent and that my experience was a fluke.

Hi, I havent read all the posts but I wanted to respond to yours. We did the golf cart tour last year. It was awful and honestly dangerous. They took us on main streets, no side streets, no quaint shops or restaurants. No one on the tour, which were 8 of us liked it. And I can honestly say that I have never been unhappy with a tour I have read and researched on CC before and after. Usually the guides are excellent and witty, sadly the one we had just told us information like she was reading it from a book. I hope, if you have already booked it, or already did the tour that it was excellent and that my experience was a fluke.

Can you remember which company you used as we have booked a golf cart tour with my mother in law in September 2018:o:o. I found several different ones when I was doing my research....

Can you remember which company you used as we have booked a golf cart tour with my mother in law in September 2018:o:o. I found several different ones when I was doing my research....

We used RomeinLimo and I feel awful saying anything negative about them because I have loved every other tour and recommended them highly.

But this one from start to finish was awful:

no quaint streets, and driving on busy roads in Rome on a golf cart:eek::eek::eek:

No--we have not already booked this. We are just thinking about it.

You are right, that does not sound like the description at all. :(

Thank you for your comments.

Mother Chic--I posted on the RIL thread to get more information about the golf cart tours. I am not sure it will give too much additional information. The posters on that thread seem to all be cheerleaders and I searched and did not see any comments on this topic. . . . but, it is worth a try.

Mother Chic--I posted on the RIL thread to get more information about the golf cart tours. I am not sure it will give too much additional information. The posters on that thread seem to all be cheerleaders and I searched and did not see any comments on this topic. . . . but, it is worth a try.

and perhaps ours was a fluke.....i hope so

Following this thread. It will be our first Mediterranean cruise. First time in Europe. Total newbies. So we are taking a Western then Eastern cruise. We fly in the evening before our cruise leaves the following day. Can anyone give us suggestions for an airport hotel? What are our best options for just 2 people for a tour/ transfer that next day? We will have 4 days in Rome between cruises, so we will explore the city then. We have the Rick Steves, but it's all so much to take in.

I can recommend the airport Hilton. You walk to it from the concourse. There are a number of tour-transfer options mentioned above. They work just as well for transfers from the airport to the port as viceversa or as port-day excursions. I can also recommend www.italydrivinguide.com for this. Good options for sightseeing along the way are Ostia Antica, Cerveteri, Bracciano and/or Tarquinia. Look them up and see what interests you. Only the Castello Odesalchi in Bracciano is open on Mondays.

Our last visit to Italy, we skipped Rome and visited some of the countryside. This is about 1.5 hours out of Civitecchia. Check it out...https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/fantastic-civita-di-bagnoregio-10-pictures-will-make-you-love-it

It is gorgeous.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our last visit to Italy, we skipped Rome and visited some of the countryside. This is about 1.5 hours out of Civitecchia. Check it out...https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/fantastic-civita-di-bagnoregio-10-pictures-will-make-you-love-it

It is gorgeous.

The Civita di Bagnoregio is indeed lovely and it is a great excursion for a long port day. singnrn wants transport and a little sightseeing in route from the airport to Civitavecchia. Going to Bagnoregio for him would mean 4 hours driving time alone. But, I do hope others with more time will consider your suggestion.

Civita di Bagnoregio is also one of those places that has become unbearably overrun with tourists, according to recent reports. It is such a small place and unfortunately is no longer a "secret" so -- rather like the Cinque Terre -- you may find yourself in a mass of humanity there if you go during the peak summer season.

I can recommend the airport Hilton. You walk to it from the concourse. .

We are staying at the Hilton attached to the airport. I found it was not only convenient, but a good use of my Hilton Honors points. We booked with 46,000 pts. Often the less expensive Hampton Inns in the US require 50,000 pts. [in similar locations] Also, the reviews are positive.

IIRC the Hilton Garden Inn, which is on the airport property, required slightly less points. However, that required a short shuttle ride. Since we want to visit Ostia Antica the afternoon we arrive [12:30pm] we wanted the fastest possible way to drop off luggage and take a taxi.

Following this thread. It will be our first Mediterranean cruise. First time in Europe. Total newbies. So we are taking a Western then Eastern cruise. We fly in the evening before our cruise leaves the following day. Can anyone give us suggestions for an airport hotel? What are our best options for just 2 people for a tour/ transfer that next day? We will have 4 days in Rome between cruises, so we will explore the city then. We have the Rick Steves, but it's all so much to take in.

Is there a reason that you wish to stay near the airport (I assume FCO)? If it were I, I would book a hotel in Rome. However, if your heart is set on a hotel near FCO:

QC Termeroma Spa & Resort (about a mile from FCO & offers shuttle service)

Hilton Garden Inn (about the same distance also offers shuttle service)

Best Western Rome Airport (about a mile and a half with shuttle service)

Regarding transfers, the drive from FCO to Civitavecchia takes about an hour. There are many recommendations on this board for Rome in Limo (there are others as well).

A more affordable solution (assuming you can manage your own luggage) is the train. We have taken the train on both occasions that we cruised out of Civi but we stayed in Rome rather than at an airport hotel.

FCO has its own train station. You take the train to Rome & get off at Trastevere or Ostiense. From here, you change to the the train to Civitavecchia. This trip would take from 1h 45 mins - 2 hrs, cost approximately 13 euros per person and upon arrival in Civi, you can taxi the short distance to the port.

Is there a reason that you wish to stay near the airport (I assume FCO)? If it were I, I would book a hotel in Rome. However, if your heart is set on a hotel near FCO:

QC Termeroma Spa & Resort (about a mile from FCO & offers shuttle service)

Hilton Garden Inn (about the same distance also offers shuttle service)

Best Western Rome Airport (about a mile and a half with shuttle service)

Regarding transfers, the drive from FCO to Civitavecchia takes about an hour. There are many recommendations on this board for Rome in Limo (there are others as well).

A more affordable solution (assuming you can manage your own luggage) is the train. We have taken the train on both occasions that we cruised out of Civi but we stayed in Rome rather than at an airport hotel.

FCO has its own train station. You take the train to Rome & get off at Trastevere or Ostiense. From here, you change to the the train to Civitavecchia. This trip would take from 1h 45 mins - 2 hrs, cost approximately 13 euros per person and upon arrival in Civi, you can taxi the short distance to the port.

I can vouch for this info as well. Train from FCO to Rome is great and so is Train from Rome to Port. We took the train at around 9am on the departure date of the cruise and made it in stellar time. Very reliable. As long as you can manage your bags it’s a great option.

Also don’t forget to validate your ticket (as discussed earlier, you have to do it on the way to entering the train; if you get off the train to do it they can leave without you at a moment’s notice; and you can be fined if you don’t do it).

Once at the port, we walked briefly out of the train station and we just took a bus to the ship at the entrance of the port. That was 6 years ago, but if they still provide it and you can manage your bags, it was also only a couple EUROS each.

Also train from Rome to Civi is direct, no need to change trains.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is there a reason that you wish to stay near the airport (I assume FCO)?

The poster said that their flight arrives in the evening, that they want to go sightseeing (tour/transfer) the next morning on the way to the port, and that they are staying in Rome for 4 days after the cruise.

Staying in Rome would mean at least 1 hour from the airport to their hotel in Rome at night, then at least another hour in the morning to return to the area they want to visit on the way to the port. Their plan makes perfect sense.

But you provided very good info on trains to Rome that many people can use.

Thank you to all of the posters for the great information you are sharing. I am sure I am not the only one taking notes. :D

Amen! We aren’t planning on spending any time in Rome. Straight from Venice to Civi. But information about Civi that has come up in here has been really helpful and I’m still taking notes for future time in Rome!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums