Civitavecchia Port to Rome

jpenguin

Hello Cruise Critic travelers!

My family and I will arriving to Civitavecchia in June. We arrive at 7am and leave port at 8pm. We would like to get over to Rome, and see as much as we can. I have looked through the past threads, but seem like a lot of different information on how to get there both economically and with consideration of time.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get to Rome quickly and safely so we can spend the day in Rome venturing around, with enough time to get back to our ship?

Thank you ALL in advance!

If you have done your reading, you will know that Rome is about 75 minutes by car, anywhere from 45 minutes to 75 minutes by train. Those are the simple facts....there is no secret way to get there faster.

IMHO, private tours are the most efficient way to do what you plan...others will disagree. But your travel will be direct, point to point.

I am not CruiserBruce but take a look at the following sites that are often recommended here.

http://www.romeinlimo.com

http://www.romecabs.com

http://www.joebananalimo.com

They all would get you to and from Rome and offer private tours.

See if these interest you and if the cost works for you.

Keith

Keith may not be me...but he tends to think a lot like me!!

As he mentions, there are many vendors very commonly mentioned here...take a look down the board. His list is great.

We have used Rome in Limo 8 times now...wonderful operation! And they operate in other Italian ports as well. Booking multiple tours gets you a discount.

The tour providers listed above may well be what you'd consider 'breaking the bank' unless you get a group together to share the expense (depending on the size of your family).

If that's the case, please do investigate the option of taking the train into Rome on your own. The cost is 12 euro per person for a round-trip ticket on the regional train that also includes any bus and metro use in Rome for getting around.

If you need more info, just ask -- there are several who can help.

Hello Cruise Critic travelers!

My family and I will arriving to Civitavecchia in June. We arrive at 7am and leave port at 8pm. We would like to get over to Rome, and see as much as we can. I have looked through the past threads, but seem like a lot of different information on how to get there both economically and with consideration of time.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get to Rome quickly and safely so we can spend the day in Rome venturing around, with enough time to get back to our ship?

Thank you ALL in advance!

We walked to the train station from the port. About 20 minutes. Then bought our tickets at the station and took the train in to Rome. Very nice train. Walked around Rome, saw the sights and then took the train back and walked back to the port. Very easy and efficient and cost effective. There are always going to be alot of people from the ship doing the exact same thing so you can always just walk with the crowd and ask questions. That's what we did!

We walked to the train station from the port. About 20 minutes. Then bought our tickets at the station and took the train in to Rome. Very nice train. Walked around Rome, saw the sights and then took the train back and walked back to the port. Very easy and efficient and cost effective. There are always going to be alot of people from the ship doing the exact same thing so you can always just walk with the crowd and ask questions. That's what we did!

Are there taxis available at the port to take you to the train station?

I'm sorry I dont recall exactly but only because I wasnt looking for them. I knew I was going to walk. I am fairly sure there will be though as not everyone can or wants to walk the distance.

And just to illustrate the effective use of time in a private tour...that 20 minutes of walking, plus whatever time waiting for the train, is spent driving to Rome, and directly to whatever site is first on your list. The private tour will pick you at the ship, and leave as soon as you climb in. Same thing for the return. And the driver is imparting info to you...

Thank you Bruce. Do you have any suggestions for private tours that will not break the bank?

The Italian Guy (highly recommended by Rick Steves).

That said, I always scratch my head over first time visitors to Rome who don't choose cruises that start or end in Civitavecchia. Rome needs at least three days.

If you someday return, do the research and find a great little hotel whose concierge can arrange private transfers and guides - usually at a better price than many online outfits oft n recommended here on CC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think taxis can wait at the ship unless they are picking someone up who prearranged it.

You're unlikely anyway to find a taxi that will make the quick trip to the train station -- they are looking for long-distance full-day fares to Rome for the most part.

The Italian Guy (highly recommended by Rick Steves).

That said, I always scratch my head over first time visitors to Rome who don't choose cruises that start or end in Civitavecchia. Rome needs at least three days.

If you someday return, do the research and find a great little hotel whose concierge can arrange private transfers and guides - usually at a better price than many online outfits oft n recommended here on CC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's The Roman Guy. I just looked it up as per your recommendation. Unfortunately the timings for the Vatican tours do not line up with times we will be in port as the early tour begins at 7:45am and the later tour begins at 2:30pm.