first time uniworld traveler - tips for us?

clcmdse

We’re on Avignon to Lyon in late March over Easter weekend. I imagine a few things may also close during that time.

I'll be leaving when you arrive! We are doing Lyon to Avignon the week prior, so won't be of much help, but can try to touch base online, if the wifi works well. If your sailing isn't very full, you have even less to worry about.

Robin

I am sailing on the SS Catherine on March 18th also. Looking forward to meeting you, Julie

Hi Julie! We will be in Paris for 2 days prior to sailing, and taking the train to Lyon on Sunday. We should be arriving around noon. We are sailing with friends we met on the SS Antoinette last year. All four of us are really looking forward to this itinerary.

Bestie, I didn't realize you were also on the same sailing, since you said Easter.

I just set up a roll call, if you want to join.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=55035825#post55035825

Easter is early this year and I believe April Fool’s day is Easter Monday. :) My fiancé and I are both due back at work Tuesday!!!

We arrive the night prior from Munich and will join on embarkation day on the group transfer our TA organised.

Looking forward to meeting you all in 2 months. Currently the ship looks only partially booked so hopeful of an intimate sailing to get to know everyone.

Oh oops. Just checked - we’re on the March 25 sailing ...

Hi, all...absolutely loved reading through this thread! Thank you to each of you for comments. We are experienced ocean cruisers, but are SO looking forward to our first river cruise, Grand Christmas & New Years on the Beatrice. I know it's SO early, but as it's still cold weather ere in Delaware I'm attempting to put together anything new that we might want for Europe in December! Since this is really a 'bucket list' trip for me, with the Christmas Markets and New Years Eve in Vienna, I'm most curious about the dinner and dancing in a castle for NYE. I know that it is formal, and will be sure Jim's tux is cleaned and pressed well ahead. I'm looking at clothing for myself, and am wondering how we get from ship-venue in the cold! Can anyone help?

Again, hello to all...look forward to talking over the next few months!:cool::cool:

eileen

Hello Seahags

We are booked on Uniworld's 2018 Christmas-New Years on the Maria Theresa and also are so looking forward to it. From what I've read on another thread, NYE may not be as formal as you might think. We will celebrate NYE at a dinner dance in Budapest. I will be interested in any comments you receive to your post.

By the way, our first river cruise was on the Beatrice several years ago and we were hooked! Of course, the ship has been recently refurbished but we loved her as she was.

Admittedly I am confused about the dress for the evening. I actually spoke with Uniworld and was told it IS formal, which lead me to post my question, especially given the available storage for formal wear (I've read that we are limited to one suitcase, one carry-on and one personal item by the ship. I think it's quite an adjustment from ocean cruising????? ALL comments are really welcome:cool::cool:. We looked at your itinerary, but NYE in Vienna was just too good to pass up, LOL. I'm anxious to see pix of the Beatrice when she emerges from such a significant drydock in April! Thanks again, look forward to talking through the year!

Eileen

Hello Seahags

We are booked on Uniworld's 2018 Christmas-New Years on the Maria Theresa and also are so looking forward to it. From what I've read on another thread, NYE may not be as formal as you might think. We will celebrate NYE at a dinner dance in Budapest. I will be interested in any comments you receive to your post.

By the way, our first river cruise was on the Beatrice several years ago and we were hooked! Of course, the ship has been recently refurbished but we loved her as she was.

Jklc and Seahags,

How wonderful you will be travelling with Uniworld over Christmas and New Years. Two different itineraries, but some similarities. We were on the 'Grand' trip the end of 2011. It was so magical we opted to do it again the end of 2013. Both times we made arrangements to fly into Nuremberg a couple of days early. Stayed right inside the gates of old town. Spent lots of time at the Christmas markets and exploring and getting rid of jet lag. Christmas Eve the highlight was going to mass at the large cathedral. Our CD, Bart, made sure we got there by 9pm for the 10pm service so we would get a seat. If you go, wear your warmest clothes and bring one of the ship's blankets from the blanket boxes on the top deck. I kid you not, it is cold in there. The srevice is in German, but the best part is hearing the boys' choir. They are as good as the better known Vienna boys' choir.

New year's eve is in a palace, not a castle. When l picture a castle Disney World comes to mind, and in Vienna the location is a big building on a street with many other impressive buildings. The shuttle bus will not be able to drop you off at the door due to all the roads being blocked off for all the street parties. So wear your warm coat, hats, mitts and sturdy boots and bring your dancing slippers in a tote bag. Yes, dress was fancy with men in everything from tails to sport coats to sweater and jeans and hiking boots. Ladies in long gowns to cocktail dresses to dressy pants and glitzie tops.

There is room for 1 suitcase under each side of the bed and there are self serve laundry facilities, so it really isn't that difficult to pack light.

The visit with Princess Anita is rather laid back, and she is delightful.

Any questions? I'm glad to answer...

RB

Thank you SO much for your insight and suggestions. There's nothing quite like the voice of experience! It's really exciting to plan, even though it's 11 months away. We are travelling with another couple and have been tossing around whether to stay a couple of days in Munich pre-cruise, or in Nuremburg. We've heard wonderful things about both cities. For many years I've wanted to do the Christmas markets! We will be in Regensburg for Christmas Eve...I was in that cathedral maybe 35 years ago and can still remember its glory. We are looking forward to Christmas Eve there! Again, thank you for your reply...I'll look forward to hearing more as we go on!

:cool::cool:

Jklc and Seahags,

How wonderful you will be travelling with Uniworld over Christmas and New Years. Two different itineraries, but some similarities. We were on the 'Grand' trip the end of 2011. It was so magical we opted to do it again the end of 2013. Both times we made arrangements to fly into Nuremberg a couple of days early. Stayed right inside the gates of old town. Spent lots of time at the Christmas markets and exploring and getting rid of jet lag. Christmas Eve the highlight was going to mass at the large cathedral. Our CD, Bart, made sure we got there by 9pm for the 10pm service so we would get a seat. If you go, wear your warmest clothes and bring one of the ship's blankets from the blanket boxes on the top deck. I kid you not, it is cold in there. The srevice is in German, but the best part is hearing the boys' choir. They are as good as the better known Vienna boys' choir.

New year's eve is in a palace, not a castle. When l picture a castle Disney World comes to mind, and in Vienna the location is a big building on a street with many other impressive buildings. The shuttle bus will not be able to drop you off at the door due to all the roads being blocked off for all the street parties. So wear your warm coat, hats, mitts and sturdy boots and bring your dancing slippers in a tote bag. Yes, dress was fancy with men in everything from tails to sport coats to sweater and jeans and hiking boots. Ladies in long gowns to cocktail dresses to dressy pants and glitzie tops.

There is room for 1 suitcase under each side of the bed and there are self serve laundry facilities, so it really isn't that difficult to pack light.

The visit with Princess Anita is rather laid back, and she is delightful.

Any questions? I'm glad to answer...

RB

Seahags

Just an FYI on the Christmas markets - most close on 12/23 with a few open on 12/24 until 2pm in Germany and Austria. We sailed AMA (boarded Christmas Day- spent the 23rd and 24th in Munich). We knew going in that most if not all the cities we visited during for week would not have open markets. Munich's markets were in full swing on the 23rd and even on the 24th ... up until 2pm ;). Remember Christmas Eve is the Holiday in those countries. Interested in this thread - would love to sail over the 2018 holidays on Uniworld - have my eye on France.

Thanks, Robertmartha! We knew that most end about the 23rd, hence planning our arrival about the 19-20. We board the 22nd in Nuremburg, so that will give us a couple of days to wander. Even though we are so far out I'm finding it hard to contain myself, LOL. I'm waiting impatiently for air to be available!

eileen

Seahags

Just an FYI on the Christmas markets - most close on 12/23 with a few open on 12/24 until 2pm in Germany and Austria. We sailed AMA (boarded Christmas Day- spent the 23rd and 24th in Munich). We knew going in that most if not all the cities we visited during for week would not have open markets. Munich's markets were in full swing on the 23rd and even on the 24th ... up until 2pm ;). Remember Christmas Eve is the Holiday in those countries. Interested in this thread - would love to sail over the 2018 holidays on Uniworld - have my eye on France.

Seahags

Great planning! When you read these boards and read people complaining about missing the markets - I always say to myself - didn't they do any research? Anyway, completely understand about your excitement. We took our first river cruise over this past holiday season and it far exceeded our expectations. As long as you sail with the right attitude (it is December so it will be cold and the weather will be unpredictable) and expectations of the ship itself (size, on board entertainment, etc) you will have a wonderful trip. AMA was a pleasure and I am looking at Uniworld for our next cruise.

I'm often amazed at some of the things I read on the boards! Having been fortunate enouwe will sgh to consider ourselves cruise veterans and having experienced so many different ands, it's all to enjoy! Our cruise companions are also from Delaware and it admittedly took him some time to come to grips with a 'cold' vacation in the middle of winter here. It's all good...Germany and Austria are incredibly beautiful in the winter...it's a whole new experience and we will be packing to layer. Whatever itinerary you choose, ENJOY the planning and the adventure:p:p

Seahags

Great planning! When you read these boards and read people complaining about missing the markets - I always say to myself - didn't they do any research? Anyway, completely understand about your excitement. We took our first river cruise over this past holiday season and it far exceeded our expectations. As long as you sail with the right attitude (it is December so it will be cold and the weather will be unpredictable) and expectations of the ship itself (size, on board entertainment, etc) you will have a wonderful trip. AMA was a pleasure and I am looking at Uniworld for our next cruise.

:')

We just returned from Uniworld's Nile cruise. You might want to read my Review of Uniworld Splendors of Egypt & the Nile (Jan 6-17, 2018) and my blog https://dpjetton.blogspot.com/. This was our third Uniworld cruise and it was great.

c

Considering a Nile cruise and I was really high on it, my husband...not so much. He read your review and is now sold on it.

Will be our second Uniworld cruise. Our plan is for January or February 2019. Itineraries not yet released.

I wish they would include gratuities and alcohol on this cruise.

Deborah

c

Considering a Nile cruise and I was really high on it, my husband...not so much. He read your review and is now sold on it.

Will be our second Uniworld cruise. Our plan is for January or February 2019. Itineraries not yet released.

I wish they would include gratuities and alcohol on this cruise.

Deborah

December and January are the best months weather-wise but February should be fine. Our Egyptologist on the cruise said that alcohol isn't included because it is taxed so heavily in Egypt. The cost of drinks on the ship was reasonable. My TA said that gratuities may not be included because the ship crew is not directly employed by Uniworld as they are in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on the Catherine on April 15, 2018. There will be about 35 cabins of US Naval Academy grads, class of ‘65 (us included) on board. Wondering if any other “boat school” folks, or anyone from the dance world (that’s me, not hubby) on this cruise. First ever river cruise for us and we’re very excited. Normally cruise Oceania, Regent or Viking Ocean. Will this be similar?

We are going on the Catherine on April 15, 2018. There will be about 35 cabins of US Naval Academy grads, class of ‘65 (us included) on board. Wondering if any other “boat school” folks, or anyone from the dance world (that’s me, not hubby) on this cruise. First ever river cruise for us and we’re very excited. Normally cruise Oceania, Regent or Viking Ocean. Will this be similar?

How fun! We've sailed on the Regent Voyager and the Catherine.. Definitely similar, except for smaller staterooms and less evening entertainment. Excellent service, food and excursions.