3rd person in cabin

Issyalex

50% 3rd and 4th on one cruise to Alaska two years ago, no perks like Olife, charged for gratuities. Occasionally kids free-like this year to Bermuda. The sofa bed is very uncomfortable and takes up a lot of space in a concierge level cabin. Very thin mattress and when opened up, it hits the desk so access to the balcony is blocked and the desk is unusable. But the kid was free so worth it. If one person is agile enough, the upper berth was easier to live with, at least in my opinion. We had two adults and two kids on an inside to Alaska. I just reconfigured my thinking and labeled it luxury camping. We had a great time. Boys begged for another cruise so I took them to Bermuda this year. But only take kids who are willing and able to deal with an adult environment and don't need to be entertained. Four adults in a cabin could manage if they are very flexible people and don't mind dealing with some complicated logistics.

Mary

• Like 1

50% 3rd and 4th on one cruise to Alaska two years ago, no perks like Olife, charged for gratuities. Occasionally kids free-like this year to Bermuda. The sofa bed is very uncomfortable and takes up a lot of space in a concierge level cabin. Very thin mattress and when opened up, it hits the desk so access to the balcony is blocked and the desk is unusable. But the kid was free so worth it. If one person is agile enough, the upper berth was easier to live with, at least in my opinion. We had two adults and two kids on an inside to Alaska. I just reconfigured my thinking and labeled it luxury camping. We had a great time. Boys begged for another cruise so I took them to Bermuda this year. But only take kids who are willing and able to deal with an adult environment and don't need to be entertained. Four adults in a cabin could manage if they are very flexible people and don't mind dealing with some complicated logistics.

Mary

Thanks Mary. My 31 year old daughter might be joining us on our next cruise. I don’t fancy her sleeping in a Pullman bed above hubby and I, she’s a restless sleeper. [emoji33][emoji85] mind you she’s a party girl so Oceania might not be the cruiseline for her. [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

50% 3rd and 4th on one cruise to Alaska two years ago, no perks like Olife, charged for gratuities. Occasionally kids free-like this year to Bermuda. The sofa bed is very uncomfortable and takes up a lot of space in a concierge level cabin. Very thin mattress and when opened up, it hits the desk so access to the balcony is blocked and the desk is unusable. But the kid was free so worth it. If one person is agile enough, the upper berth was easier to live with, at least in my opinion. We had two adults and two kids on an inside to Alaska. I just reconfigured my thinking and labeled it luxury camping. We had a great time. Boys begged for another cruise so I took them to Bermuda this year. But only take kids who are willing and able to deal with an adult environment and don't need to be entertained. Four adults in a cabin could manage if they are very flexible people and don't mind dealing with some complicated logistics. Mary

Maybe I've been lucky but I've never seen a room on Oceania ships that had an upper berth! We did have double deckers on the old Bergen Lines (Bergen to North Cape and back in 1976) and on a Princess Alaska cruise in 1990. Back then we looked for low level rooms ...

Then again, we haven't been lower than a Deck 6 Veranda on the "R" ships ... so what do I know??!! clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

When we were first cruising (we were in our 30s back then) I didn't mind bunk beds ... today I wouldn't go for them, no!

Mura

Our first cruise was first class on the Orsova P&O line I think. Sat at the first officers table because later found out that he wanted young people. We were right out of grad school and knew nothing about how to manage all the silverware on the table. Peter O'Toole was at the next table, the Captain's table. Tourist class was through a locked door. Upper and lower bunk! But with a butler outside 24 hours. Fresh fruit in the cabin every day. Bouillon on the pool deck at 10, tea in the afternoon and a midnight buffet.

Mary

Our 31 year old daughter (at the time) travelled with us for 25 days on Marina. We had a pull out sofa that they made up every night. It was not comfortable so they brought a second mattress in and that made all the difference. We had a balcony so that gave us some breathing space. It was wonderful and we would do again in a heartbeat. I say go for it!

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our 31 year old daughter (at the time) travelled with us for 25 days on Marina. We had a pull out sofa that they made up every night. It was not comfortable so they brought a second mattress in and that made all the difference. We had a balcony so that gave us some breathing space. It was wonderful and we would do again in a heartbeat. I say go for it!

Mo

Thanks for this great review Mo. Funnily I’d thought of a balcony for the very same reason.

We were in concierge not far from the lounge. Was great to duck down there and grab some coffees, sandwiches and sweets when we had the urge. Our daughter met nearly everyone. We always travel pretty incognito but not on that cruise! She wasn’t our daughter, we were her parents! It was fabulous. She lives in Africa so we don’t see her often, and this was a spontaneous leap on her part to join us... would do again in a heartbeat, but you have to have the right kid. Never ever with my other two would I consider for a moment sharing a cabin. One of our best trips!

Mo

We were in concierge not far from the lounge. Was great to duck down there and grab some coffees, sandwiches and sweets when we had the urge. Our daughter met nearly everyone. We always travel pretty incognito but not on that cruise! She wasn’t our daughter, we were her parents! It was fabulous. She lives in Africa so we don’t see her often, and this was a spontaneous leap on her part to join us... would do again in a heartbeat, but you have to have the right kid. Never ever with my other two would I consider for a moment sharing a cabin. One of our best trips!

Mo

My younger daughter is very sociable and has a very bubbly personality. The only downside in sharing a cabin with her is she’s sooooo untidy and I’m soooo tidy! [emoji33]🤣[emoji23]

I would never consider sharing a room in anything less than a PH. On the other hand I've never had children, so I'm sure that makes a difference.

Because we’ve had children we cannot afford a PH! [emoji85][emoji23]

+1 to both comments!!

Once you have children, your costs go up astronomically ... and I'm not talking just about college bills! I also speak as someone who didn't have children so we are free to spend more on our accommodations than many others do.

Mura

+1 to both comments!!

Once you have children, your costs go up astronomically ... and I'm not talking just about college bills! I also speak as someone who didn't have children so we are free to spend more on our accommodations than many others do.

Mura

Yes, but we have to hire people to ferry us to the Doctor, once we are old and nasty, so it all evens out in the end. :halo:

Yes, but we have to hire people to ferry us to the Doctor, once we are old and nasty, so it all evens out in the end. :halo:

Lol. No guarantee your kids will do anything to help you when you get older. Oh the stories I could tell.