Navigational Chart for sale

KevintheIrishDJ

Several years ago, there was an auction for a TA cruise on the Pacific Princess. I have never see this in all my years sailing; and have never seen it since. We won the auction!!! :D

Has anyone else ever seen this done?

We have 3 from princess and 1 from Disney.

In addition to the map of the cruise, mine has the insignia and signatures of all officers, history of the ship and the itinerary with distance traveled, average speed, date and time in each port. I have never figured out how to insert a photo. Email me at KevintheIrishDJ@msn.com and i will reply with photos.

20160527_144957 (2).jpg

The question I have is....do u have any of the coupon books:D

In general how much do they go for now? I never go since I figure at an auction they go for way beyond my budget (The truth is no place left on my walls) and the drawers are full. They are always displayed but at a variety of places on the ship. I always ask and find sometimes I have walking past it for days in a remote corner. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I got the one from our "bucket list" Alaska cruise for only 225 dollars! I was flabbergasted, I figured it would go for much more. Framing it was like 800 dollars using a 50% off coupon, but it is now the centerpiece of our travel memories wall.

If you are doing a bucketlist or otherwise meaningful cruise, it never hurts to go to that last art auction and see what it goes for.

I'm guessing that was paying the vastly inflated framing price onboard? $800 with a 50% off coupon seems crazy to me.

In general how much do they go for now? I never go since I figure at an auction they go for way beyond my budget (The truth is no place left on my walls) and the drawers are full. They are always displayed but at a variety of places on the ship. I always ask and find sometimes I have walking past it for days in a remote corner. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have heard anywhere from $600 to $1,700, since it is an auction.

I have heard anywhere from $600 to $1,700, since it is an auction.

Wow.

As a thrifty cruiser, I would be tempted to simply buy the chart:

https://mdnautical.com/v-arctic-regions/9474-british-admiralty-nautical-chart-4050-north-pacific-ocean-north-eastern-part-.html

And add 'the log of the voyage' received towards the end of the cruise.

You would give up the officers' signatures.

You can also get a digital image of the chart here:

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/50.shtml

Several years ago, there was an auction for a TA cruise on the Pacific Princess. I have never see this in all my years sailing; and have never seen it since. We won the auction!!! :D

Has anyone else ever seen this done?

Over the years I have bought a couple, I have seen them sell for anything from $75 to $5000

I believe that the proceeds went to the RNLI

I still have them rolled up in a tube. Somewhere...…………….

I don't think they are really worth anything in the secondary market but I just regarded it as a charitable donation with a memento.

• Like 1

Nope this was at Michaels. (A craft shop here in the northeast in case anyone doesn’t have them nearby) The art gallery would not frame it.

Michaels and Joannes also have unbelievable hugely inflated out of this world framing prices, even with a coupon.

Last thing we had framed there we realized they do not do it on site, at least at our store, since when we went to collect it they said it had "just come in on the truck".

And add 'the log of the voyage' received towards the end of the cruise.

Not to hijack this thread, but I just got off a sailing and this was one of the things in the back of my mind to get but of course forgot to. I can't seem to find any mention of this anywhere on the internet. Does anyone know what it's officially called? I might ask my roll call to see if someone snatched one. Thanks!

We got ours from our Amazon cruise at a steal - I think maybe $250. We had it framed at Michael's (probably cost about the same as the chart), and it was on a bedroom wall until recently - it'll go up on a different wall soon.

The auction is listed in the Patter, but it's usually during (before or after) the last art auction, on the last day at sea. On the Pacific, which doesn't have art auctions (as I recall), it's usually before the last Bingo session.

Not to hijack this thread, but I just got off a sailing and this was one of the things in the back of my mind to get but of course forgot to. I can't seem to find any mention of this anywhere on the internet. Does anyone know what it's officially called? I might ask my roll call to see if someone snatched one. Thanks!

It's the Log of the Cruise, and everyone gets one on the last day, instead of a Patter (you get it the night before). If you didn't see it, probably someone on your Roll Call still has it.

Not to burst anyone's bubble but what you have there is a Map of your cruise not a Navigatonal Chart.

A navigational chart shows hydrographic data (water depth, underwater hazards etc.), Navigational Aids (Lights, bouys, etc.) basic land forms (points, coves, harbors) etc. A navigational chart of a cruise would show actual course lines, fixes taken etc. Navigation Charts are large scale (show great detail) so many pages would be needed to cover a cruise.

I might pay $1,200 for the actual navigational chart(s) of my cruise but they probably don't exist since navigation these days is done on electronic charts. As someone pointed out, you can buy a small scale map that covers your cruise and draw the line yourself for a lot less.

I miss being able to look at the chart while onboard.

They used to be in a case on Lido on some ships.

It’s always been available to look at during the voyage on ships that we’ve sailed on. It’s often located in a wall case near one of the entrances to Horizon Court.

It’s always been available to look at during the voyage on ships that we’ve sailed on. It’s often located in a wall case near one of the entrances to Horizon Court.

Yes - That's where I used to enjoy looking at it.

Haven't seen it on Royal or Regal. Unless I completely missed it somewhere else.

Just sailed Caribbean Princess and there are now hand washing sinks where the chart used to be.

Yes - That's where I used to enjoy looking at it.

Haven't seen it on Royal or Regal. Unless I completely missed it somewhere else.

Just sailed Caribbean Princess and there are now hand washing sinks where the chart used to be.

We were on two 10 day B2B in April. I asked about the chart and was told they don't post it anymore since the info is on the TV. :(

Not to burst anyone's bubble but what you have there is a Map of your cruise not a Navigatonal Chart.

A navigational chart shows hydrographic data (water depth, underwater hazards etc.), Navigational Aids (Lights, bouys, etc.) basic land forms (points, coves, harbors) etc. A navigational chart of a cruise would show actual course lines, fixes taken etc. Navigation Charts are large scale (show great detail) so many pages would be needed to cover a cruise.

I might pay $1,200 for the actual navigational chart(s) of my cruise but they probably don't exist since navigation these days is done on electronic charts. As someone pointed out, you can buy a small scale map that covers your cruise and draw the line yourself for a lot less.

Yes, but you don't have officer's signatures, the Ship'a Particulars or the Speed and Distance charts.

1276290923_20160527_144957(7).jpg.b27d1bb1d60251652b2ee18cadd8b743.jpg

1627140566_20160527_144957(4).jpg.19623bcc40adc3aded8c5479bd453040.jpg

386134085_20160527_144957(3).jpg.89dfc175b0c483ec05722073b35361f5.jpg

I'm retired. I have nothing better to do than to futz around on Cruise Critic. So, I retrieved my tube from the back of a spare closet, unrolled my chart, held it down with some cans of beans and snapped some pics.

enhance

It's hard to see, but there is a plot of our itinerary on the chart. You can see lines from Los Angeles, where the U.S. and Bear Republic flags are affixed, down to the U.S. and Hawaiian flags and over to the Mexican and B.C. flags for our Ensenada stop.

Again, I know that the course plot is hard to see, but on the outbound leg, we were skirting a hurricane. So, we did not head right for Hawaii. We headed almost straight west, and, then, just before we reached the longitude of the islands, we took a sharp left. The course plot to Ensenada was a straight line from the islands.

As another poster has indicated, directly south of Mexico is the insert (another stick-on) that lists all the bridge officers and has their signatures.

Here is the flag that was also a part of our auction:

enhance

It also has Captain Lubrano's signature in Sharpie at the lower left.

My winning bid was $160.

$800 for professional framing does not surprise me at all. I can tell from the posted snapshot that it is very cool

It is usually delivered to your cabin the last evening instead of a new Patter.