Public baby changing tables on Celebrity?

Extra Kim

Kim:

I asked on the Celebrity board and since you are going on the Equinox you are in luck. Here is a description from one Celebrity poster. This pertains to Equinox. I'll let you know if there are any more and at this point I don't know if this refers to men's or ladies room.

Far bathroom stall at the bathroom midship, starboard side by the pool. I don’t remember it being there last year. There was a diaper genie in the stall too. Larger stall with kind of the frosted glass wall.

The bathroom would be ladies room but I would check adjoining men’s room.

Also, there is one outside kids club.

Thank you dkjretired!

To the people fearing bad smell or a mess, I have never left a public restroom in a mess. Acctualy they are often in better shape when I leave, since I clean the table before I lay my daughter on it. We always use a Libero Changing Math to lay her on. It doesn't only keep my daughter clean, it keeps the table clean if there's an accident. About smell, we always use small plastic bags to put the used diapers and changing maths in before we put them in the trashcan. No one would know that we have been there if they get there 1 min after we leave.

Now I know that there's changing tables on Equinox and I feel no need to answer in this thread again.

Agreed. And cruise ships confine 1,000s of people to the same space for many days, which is why they are such a hot spot for Noro outbreaks. The last thing you need is a shared, public table to change poopy diapers. Go back to your cabin and wash your hands afterwards.

And yet, better qualified epidemiologists than you, the CDC, don't feel that having changing tables in public restrooms on cruise ships are of significant risk to prohibit them. There is no prohibition against them in either the construction or operating guidelines of the VSP, and in fact they are required in the kid's club areas. I have seen them on several ships, there are not many, particularly on older ships, but they do tend to be in accessible restrooms, just because of the added space to move around.

Perhaps because when the simple answer of 'no' was given, you pushed the 'why not' button and the 'retrofit to my needs button.

And yes, the public does not want smelly diapers in the public bathrooms and poop mess, etc. I opened the door to a public bathroom on an NCL ship in 2012 and there was poop ALL OVER the vanity top, sides, walls, floor ... it was EVERYWHERE. It was SO GROSS and then ... the restroom was closed for hours until it was cleaned and readied for guests to use again.

I was the one who asked "Why not?" I thought it was a reasonable question. Infants have needs. They are paid for passengers and I see no reason why their needs shouldn't be met along with those of other passengers.

Also, it is impossible for any one person to know what "the public" wants. That's a very large group!

Sounds like you have had a bad incident in a cruise ship restroom. I'm sorry that happened.

Why not? I see them in land based restrooms quite often .

have you SEEN the public restrooms?! the HA stall is barely legal under ADA regs ( which is where, lets face it, many changing tables are located) and there is no where to put one out in the main area.

you can never compare land based operations in dining, lodging and the like to a cruise ship.

Ehh I asked one question and people started to answer, some informative and some with incorrect statements.

The ships are not a hot spot for Noro, just look at the statistics.

The handicap stalls, all have a minimum size to fit a wheelchair. If they didn't they would be pointless.

I know that some people really dislike the fact that children cruise and that's their opinion, I can't change that. But I didn't ask about opinions did I ?

By the way, I'm a man. ;)

I can assure you that most of the stalls on cruise ships that are labeled HA WILL NOT fit my chair! there is zero turning radius availability. they are often positioned at weird angles as well to give them 'room' but that means the walls are useless to mount anything on that would fold out. I am fortunate that I can get out and walk in under my own power, but those who cannot would need to return to their HA cabin to go to the loo in most cases.

have you SEEN the public restrooms?! the HA stall is barely legal under ADA regs ...

Yes I have seen the public restrooms.

Cruise ships are not required to conform to ADA standards. That is a US law.

Yes I have seen the public restrooms.

Cruise ships are not required to conform to ADA standards. That is a US law.

That is not quite correct. While SCOTUS has ruled that foreign flag cruise ships do not have to adhere to all the requirements of the ADA (the ship's "internal policies and procedures" are exempt), things like accessibility and accessible rest rooms are required. The only caveat is that ships built before the SCOTUS ruling in Spector v. NCL, around 2003, don't have to meet full accessibility requirements if it would not be "reasonable" to attain these standards without major reconstruction.

The precedent for requiring ADA compliance (limited) on foreign flag cruise ships is called "extra-territoriality", and is legal under international law.

have you SEEN the public restrooms?! the HA stall is barely legal under ADA regs ( which is where, lets face it, many changing tables are located) and there is no where to put one out in the main area.

you can never compare land based operations in dining, lodging and the like to a cruise ship.

If they can put them in airline bathrooms (and they do), there is no reason they could not find the space in a public restroom onboard ships.

Odd that so many people seem to think they're not available. This is why it's wise to not accept the first "no" that you're given on Cruise Critic.

Here is a flyer for Celebrity's Kids Program, which notes: "Celebrity has provided each shipwith lavatory-based changing tables and baby wipes."

I believe I've seen one in the men's room outside the kid's club on Reflection. Not sure about the other S-class ships. I'm sure the kid's club staff can direct you once you're on the ship.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/11025200_CEL_KidsProgram_flyer.pdf