Docking in Venice

Coolgran

I believe Princess will dock at Maritima. On this map, it's on the left hand side. San Marco is on the right hand side. I'm not sure of the exact distance, but it is not real close.

http://www.venice-italy-veneto.com/detailed-map-of-venice-italy.html

From Maritima to Piazzale Roma is only about a 5 minute ride, but from Piazzale Roma to San Marco by vaporetto will take about 30-35 minutes.

If you are overnighting in Venice, Princess sometimes offers a vaporetto pass. Otherwise you are on your own. And when we arrived in Venice, Princess advised us there would be no taxis if we hadn't prearranged one, our only options were to walk or take the Princess transfer at $24 pp.

Peoplemover was not up and running yet then.

Otherrs have pointed you to the location. If this is your embarkation you'll need to use either the princess provided water taxi ( at a fee ) or the public water taxi to get to St Marks. Figure 15-20' for the short boat ride.

Just where does Grand Princess Dock in Venice? How far from St, Mark's Square for instance?

Thank you

Coolgran

Cost is $15 for the pass, it's good all day and you board right at the aft of the ship.

If you overnight in Venice, there will be a water taxi, as Pia stated, arranged for you. One bit of advice, if youdon't use the water taxi, it will still be charged to your shipboard account. Only way you can avoid this is turning it into guest relations by the specified deadline.

Bob

The Princess water taxi is convenient.

Believe it or not, my husband and I walked from the St. Marks area back to the cruise ship. I don't recommend it though!!!

We had a great dinner, a bottle of wine, and a babysitter back on the ship (my husband's parents), and my huband decided we would have an adventure walking through Venice.

It took us several hours. Of course, it was an adventure, but my feet were killing me by the time we got back. There was one bridge that was out that would have had us back much quicker.

That's one night I'll never forget!!!

Princess will have a water taxi arranged that takes about ten minutes to get to St Mark's Square.

you'll need to use either the princess provided water taxi ( at a fee ) or the public water taxi to get to St Marks.

If you overnight in Venice, there will be a water taxi.

Bob

Actually, it is not a water taxi (very expensive), but a vaporetto which is basically a water bus.

The Princess vaporetto will go directly from the dock area to St. Mark's Square. It does not take the route that goes down the Grand Canal.

However, you have not experienced Venice unless you do take a Vaporetto down the Grand Canal between St. Mark's Aquare and the Piazzale Roma (either direction).

We were really lucky - when we got to Venice there was no room for us at the normal terminal so we docked right beside the Bridge of Sighs....next morning we moved down to the port thoug - as the others have said its a 10 minute boat ride. Be sure to be up on deck or at least on your balcony when coming in and out of port!

The Princess water taxi is convenient.

We took it the first day.

Believe it or not, my husband and I walked from the St. Marks area back to the cruise ship. I don't recommend it though!!!

We did this the 2nd day; from ship to St. Marks in the AM and back in mid afternoon. Did you have a problem?

!

You will definitely walk your feet off exploring all the ins and outs and alleyways of Venice.

Count us as not big fans of the Princess water taxi deal. Sure, it is fine if you only want to go to St Marks Square a few times and have no interest in the rest of Venice, Murano, Burano Torcello, Lido, etc. Otherwise, if you are in Venice overnight or for a few days you are better off buying a multi-day vaporetto pass (you can get 24, 36, 48, or 72 hour passes) at the ACTV office located right in the Piazale Roma which you can now access by the convenient people mover that goes right from the port. You can then use those vaporettos to go anywhere in Venice or the other islands in the Lagoon. We do understand that everyone wants to go running to St Marks Square (we always head over that way at least once) but there is a lot more to Venice then that one place and not sure how it makes sense to spend $15 for a water taxi that only takes you to a single location.

Hank

Thank you all for your replies. Sorry I have not answered but my little dog has been very ill so we have spent a lot of time at the vets. He is responding to treatment so to have him with us for a while longer. He is 12 and suffering from severe anemia, so booking cruises is on the back burner for now.

Coolgran

Cost is $15 for the pass, it's good all day and you board right at the aft of the ship.

Is the cost $15 per person or per cabin? The Princess Star will overnight in Venice and disembark the next morning. We embark that afternoon/early evening. Will they be running the water taxi for those of us embarking? Thanks for any information. We have never sailed Princess.

Is the cost $15 per person or per cabin? The Princess Star will overnight in Venice and disembark the next morning. We embark that afternoon/early evening. Will they be running the water taxi for those of us embarking? Thanks for any information. We have never sailed Princess.

$15 per person

Yes, after you embark the passes will be in your cabin to use or to turn back in.

You can not use them to get to the ship for embarkation because

a) You do not have the passes yet

b) You cannot take luggage on the Princess service

$15 per person

Yes, after you embark the passes will be in your cabin to use or to turn back in.

You can not use them to get to the ship for embarkation because

a) You do not have the passes yet

b) You cannot take luggage on the Princess service

Thank you for the information. :)

Actually, it is not a water taxi (very expensive), but a vaporetto which is basically a water bus.

The Princess vaporetto will go directly from the dock area to St. Mark's Square. It does not take the route that goes down the Grand Canal.

However, you have not experienced Venice unless you do take a Vaporetto down the Grand Canal between St. Mark's Aquare and the Piazzale Roma (either direction).

You are absolutely right, I stand corrected.....:):):)

Bob

The People Mover takes you from port to Piazza Roma and back (1 Euro each way, 7AM to 11PM). From Piazza Roma, you can easily take a water bus down Grand Canal to St. Marco or take one to Murano. The People Mover Station is located just outside the port security gate, about 3 min. walk. Keep walking on the right as you exit the ship.

The People Mover takes you from port to Piazza Roma and back (1 Euro each way, 7AM to 11PM). From Piazza Roma, you can easily take a water bus down Grand Canal to St. Marco or take one to Murano. The People Mover Station is located just outside the port security gate, about 3 min. walk. Keep walking on the right as you exit the ship.

Thanks, I was only interested in one way: boarding the ship, as we arrive in Venice with a rental car from Tuscany and then have an apartment for three days at San Samuel. It is schlepping our luggage back to the Piazza Roma, ensuring there is a people mover to the Maritima and then onto a shuttle bus that concerned me.

Thanks, I was only interested in one way: boarding the ship, as we arrive in Venice with a rental car from Tuscany and then have an apartment for three days at San Samuel. It is schlepping our luggage back to the Piazza Roma, ensuring there is a people mover to the Maritima and then onto a shuttle bus that concerned me.

The people mover is very convenient and easy to use with luggage. We took a public bus from Mainland to Piazza Roma, walked with our bags (on wheels) to the people mover station, and it took only a few minutes (one stop) to the port. We were there last month.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know if the Princess pass is also valid on the other vaporetto water buses or only to St. Marks?

If it's merely to St. Mark's then we'll purchase a regular pass instead spending 2 nights in Venice. We found the vaporetto's convenient during a landbased tour along with a lot of exploring on foot. Burano was a great place to visit after a vaporetto ride...like a small, quiet Venice filled with canals & shops.

Archived