Account Charges after Disembarkation

trophy_23

Is this something that happens to many HAL cruisers? We just got home from Canada/New England on the Eurodam and our credit card charge is different than our final bill. We were one of the last to disembark (9:30ish) and were actually still in our cabin when a lady came to 'count' our mini bar. She noted that nothing was removed. We have since called HAL about the difference and were told it was a mini bar charge for 3 items. They are taking care of it, but it is becoming a frustration. This is now the 3rd cruise in a row that we have had mini bar charges (the last two were 1 item each) added between our final bill on board and when we got home, even though we never touch anything in the fridge. Just wondering if this is a trend and they are banking on the fact that people don't check their credit cards and it slips through??? A little extra revenue or just a simple mistake?

We've never had it happen after we got home, but once we got a final bill on board that included a bottle of water we hadn't used. The line at the front desk was long, and we wanted to get off and get going home, so HAL got away with it. :(

I have not had this happen but know it does...for future cruises maybe you should request the mini bar be removed, which i know is also done at times...Of course, you then run the risk of being charged for it all...:D

On one of the cruises, we actually had it all taken out so we could put our own soda and water in and we still ended up with a charge. Its not the end of the world, just a bit of a hassle to deal with when we return. Also, we lose a few points every time on the currency exchange also.

I have not had this happen but know it does...for future cruises maybe you should request the mini bar be removed, which i know is also done at times...Of course, you then run the risk of being charged for it all...:D

I have never had the items removed form the cabin. Some times the steward would take it out of the fridge and place it in the round stool, other times they have said they can't remove it and we just did it ourselves (stored the same place). Either way, errors could still be made.

We have never been charged for anything from the fridge.

I don't think HAL would want to risk passenger loyalty for a few measly bucks schemed out via the mini bar.

It seems an ongoing frustration for many passengers being charged for items in the mini bar when they did not use them. I like the suggestion of one poster (I think from august) that said they should lock the mini bars on the last night before final statement so we can check it.

HAL is prompt to apologize and credit back but it just means that the actual room that did use the mini bar won't get charged. Has to be an easier way for the staff to check this.

I guess it would be too much to suggest that the mini bars are left empty unless requested, filled out the form of what you wanted, and then you would be charged for what you ordered for the mini bar?

I've had the mini bar charge a few times although I've never used anything. I'm on the Eurodam now and I got charged for a wine tasting. I'm a 4 * so I shouldn't have been charged in the first place. I was also off the ship on a HAL excursion at the time so that just wrong. I'll be interested to see if it's been removed yet.

On our last couple of cruises we also have had problems with the mini bar charges.

On our last cruise -- Amsterdam -- we kept getting charged for bottled water -- and the bottles kept multiplying on the counter!!

The concierge even came down to cabin and saw that at one point we had 4 bottles -- and by the time she got our account cleared of those charges -- a 5th bottle appeared that we got charged for.

Incorrect Mini bar charges can be a nuisance on most lines. Different people stock and check or whatever. No doubt they do have somepeople who take stuff after final bill but before disembarking thinking they won't catch up to them.

I don't think HAL would want to risk passenger loyalty for a few measly bucks schemed out via the mini bar.

I would not have thought so either but that is exactly what happened to us on each of our last 2 HAL cruises. The difference between the credit card charge and my final statement balance wasn't a lot of money (between $6 and $10) but it annoyed me because I suspected it was a mini-bar charge when we have never, ever had anything from the mini-bar.

I let the first one go but after the second called Seattle. The woman I spoke to in Accounting confirmed that they were indeed mini-bar charges and credited my charge card for both amounts. I'm boarding again soon (5 weeks from today but who's counting?) and will be curious if the same thing happens a third time.

I guess it would be too much to suggest that the mini bars are left empty unless requested, filled out the form of what you wanted, and then you would be charged for what you ordered for the mini bar?
Then yhey would lose the "impulse" buyers, which I suspect is a lot of sales.

This is actually the main reason we will post cash and not use our CC for our onboard account. I do not want the hassle of having to get any incorrect charges reversed, especially considering I'd still have to pay currency conversion fees. Enough people have posted on this board about extra charges to make me slightly suspicious that they are not one-off mistakes. I know it doesn't make good business sense, but add up all those small charges and the amount would be considerable.

I had a few incorrect charges both before I disembarked and after my cruise was over. When I got home the credit card charge for HAL was greater than the bill that I received in my cabin. The charges were all straightened out, but I am going to be sure to check the charges more often on my next cruise. On the ship, one of the front office staff didn't believe me when I said that a charge for a drink and a shore excursion weren't mine, and I had to stand there and argue with him for a bit, before the charges were removed, which wasn't the nicest way to spend some cruise time.

It seems an ongoing frustration for many passengers being charged for items in the mini bar when they did not use them. I like the suggestion of one poster (I think from august) that said they should lock the mini bars on the last night before final statement so we can check it.

HAL is prompt to apologize and credit back but it just means that the actual room that did use the mini bar won't get charged. Has to be an easier way for the staff to check this.

An excellent suggestion! :) Do you think that HAL has thought of doing that yet? :rolleyes:

When the Vista ships first arrived -- the mini bars were locked in the morning of the last full day of the cruise. Too many people complained that they had sodas, etc. inside which was then placed on the counter.

So that practice was stopped.

There is no way that they could lock the mini bars on the last night of the cruise -- all the wine stewards have duties in the dining room, Lido, Pinnacle Grill, Canaletto (Tamarind on some ships) and all the bars. Plus if they wait until late in the evening -- say even around 10 PM -- those workers are still busy and many people may have retired for the evening. Not everyone stays up late.

I had a few incorrect charges both before I disembarked and after my cruise was over. When I got home the credit card charge for HAL was greater than the bill that I received in my cabin. The charges were all straightened out' date=' but I am going to be sure to check the charges more often on my next cruise. On the ship, one of the front office staff didn't believe me when I said that a charge for a drink and a shore excursion weren't mine, and I had to stand there and argue with him for a bit, before the charges were removed, which wasn't the nicest way to spend some cruise time.[/quote']

Depending on the length of the cruise -- we check out bills about 3 or 4 days.

I've had the mini bar charge a few times although I've never used anything. I'm on the Eurodam now and I got charged for a wine tasting. I'm a 4 * so I shouldn't have been charged in the first place. I was also off the ship on a HAL excursion at the time so that just wrong. I'll be interested to see if it's been removed yet.

Did you see us crying as we got off and you took over?!!! haha...just kidding...but hope you are having a great time on the ship like we did. We

had a great 10 days aboard her. (and loved all the free wifi in the ports):)

Boy, did I just learn a lesson...I have never checked the exact amount on my cc bill. I know I spent around 450.00 and if it comes through at that then I never have looked for a few dollars difference. MY BAD!!! Won't be making that mistake again.

Mary

From canadianbear . . . I guess it would be too much to suggest that the mini bars are left empty unless requested, filled out the form of what you wanted, and then you would be charged for what you ordered for the mini bar?

Despite the issue of "impulse buying" I think many customers would prefer to order what they use, or to not have anything stocked in the cabins. It would save time for the bar staff, and free up more cabin space . . . particularly for those of us who don't cruise in suites and need every nook and corner we can get! :)

And thinking about needing space, when just 2 of us are in a quad cabin, there sure is a lot of extra bedding and pillows that has to be stored. :(:(:(

...Enough people have posted on this board about extra charges to make me slightly suspicious that they are not one-off mistakes. I know it doesn't make good business sense, but add up all those small charges and the amount would be considerable.

I agree, it doesn't make sense that HAL would do this on purpose. However, this has been going on for so long and is so (apparently) pervasive, that I wonder what HAL is doing to fix the problem. It's all well and good that they'll remove charges (it seems to be tougher on ships than through Seattle), but it would be better PR no to have the problem to start with.

We also use a cash-based account (no CC) to avoid this problem. On our last cruise, we had, more or less, the opposite problem. During the cruise, 2 cans of soda appeared in our fridge - we didn't order them or put them there, don't even drink that kind. On the last morning the person who checks out the contents for usage, pushed her way into the cabin when breakfast was delivered and insisted we explain where the soda came from.

I agree, it doesn't make sense that HAL would do this on purpose. However, this has been going on for so long and is so (apparently) pervasive, that I wonder what HAL is doing to fix the problem. It's all well and good that they'll remove charges (it seems to be tougher on ships than through Seattle), but it would be better PR no to have the problem to start with.

We also use a cash-based account (no CC) to avoid this problem. On our last cruise, we had, more or less, the opposite problem. During the cruise, 2 cans of soda appeared in our fridge - we didn't order them or put them there, don't even drink that kind. On the last morning the person who checks out the contents for usage, pushed her way into the cabin when breakfast was delivered and insisted we explain where the soda came from.

Why would it matter where the soda came from? It is HAL's policy that allows people to bring on their own beverages should they choose to is it not?

This can happen if there have been any charges after the final statement has been charged.

If you thuink the charges are in error, contact HAL and have them removed. It that doesn't work, contact your credit card company and dispute the charge.

Why would it matter where the soda came from? It is HAL's policy that allows people to bring on their own beverages should they choose to is it not?

Exactly. I couldn't figure it out. I was still in bed and "all these people" (my sons, the cabin steward, the "fridge lady" and whoever was delivering breakfast) were in my room making a commotion during my (usually calm and quiet) wake up time. She may have been more confused about how they got there if we didn't put them there. I kept saying I didn't know - next time I'll just say we brought them on board and then just leave them.

Did you see us crying as we got off and you took over?!!! haha...just kidding...but hope you are having a great time on the ship like we did. We

had a great 10 days aboard her. (and loved all the free wifi in the ports):)

Oh, that was you crying at the pier:D;). It's been ok so far but the weather pretty much sucks. Love Quebec City and Saguenay! Missing 30C weather in Calgary right now. Could do with it here. I hope Sydney will be nice tomorrow. Charlottetown wifi slower the the ship!

Oh, that was you crying at the pier:D;). It's been ok so far but the weather pretty much sucks. Love Quebec City and Saguenay! Missing 30C weather in Calgary right now. Could do with it here. I hope Sydney will be nice tomorrow. Charlottetown wifi slower the the ship!

We really lucked out on the weather-only one rough night (and the next day which was a sea day) but not too bad for us-lots of people were a bit under the weather though with the high waves.

Lots of free wifi in most of the ports. We had such a wonderful cruise on the Eurodam and hope you do too. The food is absolutely the BEST!:)

Archived