John and Diane's Amazing Adventures - Part 4

Johnny B

Well, we're shortly to find out what it's like to be "ferry-boat people." A brief explanation: some friends we met on the 2008 WC told us of their experience sailing just one segment of

a "high-end" cruise line's WC. They told us that they were very uncomfortable because they heard (more than one) full world cruiser refer to them as "ferry boat people." We thought that was just plain cruel (not to mention tacky), but we're about to embark (literally) on the same type of adventure. We're sailing segments 2 and 3 of the Amsterdam's 2013 world cruise, from Auckland to Capetown. We don't expect to be treated like that, but we will be looking at the experience from different eyes, to see what it's like. You WILL be reading about it.

Right now we're bellied up to the bar at LAX at Nate 'n' Al's Delicatessen watching the Super Bowl. Our flight to Auckland doesn't leave until 10:00 PM, five hours from now, but we are amply entertained with football, a sandwich and a couple of tasty beverages. We'll skip Monday entirely (if you have to miss a day, it should be Monday) to land in Auckland at 8:00 AM on Tuesday, boarding the ship on Wednesday. We're looking forward to joining old cruise friends, including Bill and Mary Ann, Barbie, Jeff, Alan and Sandra and lots of others.

Now we just need the 49ers to get a move on!

Johnny B - your adventures are always interesting.

Interestingly enough I have been hesitant to deliberately join a Grand Voyage as I have heard some things too ;)

We will follow you with great interest. Somehow I think you will fit in quite well and everyone will be very glad that you have come aboard.

Smooth seas:D

We have been reading Karen's blog and her previous ones. She indeed puts a lot of time doing this. BTW, our daughter spent a year as an exchange student in NZ, half of the year in Hamilton. Her most memorable momments include the All Blacks, Steinlager, and muscles!

Hopefully you are now onboard and getting settled. Thank you for taking us along again on your adventure, I will look forward to your fun and informative posts. Cherie

The ship is not due into Auckland for another 24 hours. You will be able to see it here

http://www.takeabreak.co.nz/accommodation/auckland-city.asp?cam=3

For a 13-hour flight, we had it pretty good. You know how people say to check airline websites in the middle of the night and such? Well, we got on Air New Zealand's website to

book space to Auckland sometime in October (or early November) and found an extraordinary fare for Premium Economy. We immediately booked it, and boy was it worth

it. We boarded first, with the Business Class folks, and found our little pods waiting for us.

The economy plus seats are wonderful. They don't go to 180 degrees, but they're pretty darned comfortable, and we can't say enough about Air New Zealand. Shortly after takeoff (right on time at 10:00 PM) we were given a choice of Champagne or orange juice (tough choice), and dinner followed shortly thereafter. Everyone in PE had the same starter, but then there was a choice of three mains, including NZ lamb, shrimp in a cream sauce on pasta, and chicken in plum sauce. Yummmm! Dessert (can't forget the most important course) was tiramisu, and the NZ wines flowed abundantly.

Each seat (I think also in regular economy) has its own video screen, and the choice of films was excellent. I watched Argo right after dinner and then Lincoln before (and during) breakfast this morning. Speaking of breakfast, it also had courses, two to be exact. The first was yogurt and a plate of fresh fruit, and for a main we had a choice of a sausage/cheese scramble or Belgian waffles with strawberries and whipped cream. I was still full from dinner, so I stopped at the first course.

We arrived a full hour early into Auckland, found a taxi (it had to be a van to accommodate our four large suitcases - well, heck, we're going to be onboard for 60 days), and an hour later found ourselves at the Auckland Hilton, right on the water and next to the wharf where the Amsterdam will be docking. Because they had to miss Rarotonga, they'll arrive this evening at 6:30, so hopefully we'll get to see some of our good friends.

Naps are an integral part of today's schedule, making up for an all-night flight, but we did have a little walkabout with lunch on the harbor. Tomorrow we should be ready to rock and roll - and board for our 60 days of bliss.

The PE seats didn't have a footrest, but they did have a large beanbag pillow which fit nicely

into the huge area of leg room. It was great!

Thanks for your reply.

Had not previously heard about the bean bag pillow, was that comfortable?

We're sitting in the bar at the Hilton waiting for our first glimpse of the Amsterdam. Our room is on the fourth floor with a balcony, so we should be able to see a few friends as they dock.

P.S. The beanbag footrests are very comfy. I just wanted an oversize microwave in which to warm mine.

Archived