Carnival STILL calling Sunshine a "NEW SHIP"

DarthGrady

My wife just got back from a cruise on Paradise last week. I found one of the papers she brought home in her Capers (err...sigh...Fun Times) fairly interesting. It is advertising a cruise on Carnival Sunshine, and still claiming her to be a "new ship".

I thought CCL had moved past this. When they first decided to renovate the Destiny and change her name they tried to label her a "new ship" and caught a fair bit of flak for it.

Simply put, she isn't new. She's 17 years old. I fully understand that she has been totally renovated and heavily modified. Other ships have been extensively refreshed and modified without the misleading advertising.

One would not sell a used car as "new" even after a paint job and a new interior was installed. Nor would one call a hotel "new" after a major renovation. It's simply not true, and any attempt to do otherwise is, in my opinion, dishonest. It insults those of us in the know and misleads the uninformed.

232323232%7Ffp4388%3B%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3885546584326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43842%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3885548%3B56326nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43856%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3885547492326nu0mrj

I have to say that I agree because 17 years old is 17 years. Its like Joan Rivers and plastic surgery just because you are 70 something but look or may look 60 something doesn't negate the fact that say your heart is 70 something old...YIKES....

When you go on wikipedia and look up the Carnival ships they at least still show what the previous ship was.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

I agree with the OP. And contrary to what some think, many people are still being deceived into thinking it's a new ship. So I see nothing wrong with continually getting the word out, so that people are not fooled. Some people may be tired of hearing about it, but some others are getting informed for the first time, so it's a good thing.

they're calling it 'NEW' on the ships page of the web site also:

121zm77.jpg

it has the same 'new' tag that breeze does, right next to it at the top of the page (and not in alphabetical order like the rest of the fleet)...

despite the fact that i sailed her 5 years ago when she was named destiny :)

I will agree it’s not a new ship witch Carnival scaled back calling it new…I wonder why misleading.

It’s the Destiny with a lot of more cabins and pay restaurants and very small theater.

The Caribbean will tell us a lot more of her being crowded on sea days on decks compare to Europe with the older guest and their late night activities.

At the end of the day, does it really matter?????? What do all the other cruise lines (smaller ones) do when they buy a ship from another company and rename it....and it becomes their ship.....they call it a NEW ship.....who cares...I mean why does everyone get hung up on this?? My wife and I are in Barcelona right now, and will be on the NEW Carnival Sunshine in about 1 hour. Last year at this time, we were on the OLD Carnival Destiny....when it is all said and done, we will have an incredible experience in all of the ports we are going to see, and memories that will last a lifetime. Enjoy life for the memories that you can make, and don't get hung up on the small insignificant things that don't really matter at the end of the day.

I agree with the OP. It is very misleading. Example...I had a friend who was really excited because she was going to book on Carnival's "NEW" ship, the Sunshine. Well, needless to say she was very disappointed and confused when I explained it was a 17 year old ship. She kept saying over and over...well Carnival says it is a new ship.

The bottom line is...it is false advertisement anyway you look at it. Someone who is new to cruising would think it is a new ship when reading Carnival's website therefore they are being mislead.

Yes I agree too its not new , it misleading

Also after years if going on cruises

Sailing for 35 bucks a day , havering a s&s account less 30 bucks and consuming every oz if free stuff

They downgraded the loyalty perks, like they don't want me any longer

They lied

And now they sell it for 49 per cabin

Whaaaaaaa

Be back later. Running off to Costco. Big box of wine sale today

I agree.

Right here on this board, unsuspecting people have stated they did not know this was an old ship, was originally the Destiny, and a whole bunch of other statements.

The worst is hearing some of this information is coming from unenlightened TA's.

I think it's definitely misleading, but I also agree, does it really matter? And for someone who may be "deceived" into thinking it's a new ship, does that really matter, either? It's going to look and feel like a new ship to someone who doesn't know any better anyway.

Not with pails catching leaking ceilings, sewage smells, faulty plumbing, loud air conditioners, if you're lucky to have a working one, falling apart "new"l cabins, and construction sounds all through the night.

Still going on 5 months after prying those letters off the hull.

This is a re-hab of a previous discussion. This is not a new subject.

Sure, it is based off of a recent experience with evidence of Carnival referring to the Sunshine as the New Carnival Sunshine. But, what is Carnival referring to as New? It is a New Name, New design of the Destiny Class ship. Oops, its now a new class called the Sunshine. When I sail on her in April, I am looking for New experiences on this ship because of all the New things that were added since I sailed the Destiny. So, it will be New to me.

My guess is that the New name is assigned to the Carnival Sunshine because it is the newest name to the fleet and their Newest Class - Carnival Sunshine.

I don't think it would be a very good selling point to say "It's an old ship that we fixed up". :D

You have to remember that out of the people that do cruise, very few of them come here. Most people couldn't tell the difference between a new ship and an old one if it's kept up. Our last cruise was on the Freedom and to us she looked as good as any other ship we've been on. And most of the ones we've been on were only a year or two old.

Archived