Carnival STILL calling Sunshine a "NEW SHIP"

DarthGrady

Who cares........ You all get worked up to easily life is too short. Go enjoy your cruise regardless of the Adjective that describes it. God Bless and happy sailings.

Whoi cares? The ones it matters to. Its almost like booking the Breeze, and them swapping the ship with the Fantasy. People go up in arms over that too. Others might go "Who cares?"

Well, I am agreeing with the OP. As you can see from my signature, I am booked on the Sunshine next year.

My daughter and I cruise together at least once a year and we were trying to decide which cruise line to go on next year. I saw on Carnival's site the "new" ship Sunshine, we clicked on the video for the new ship and watched the video. It made us decide on this ship because everything was stated as new!! The video was computer generated too, so not a real life video. We have always wanted to go on a "new" ship and got excited about that prospect. We booked for August 2014, then I came on to Cruise Critic and started reading about the plumbing, welding and smell problems passengers were experiencing on this new ship over in the Med. Made me begin to worry about our decision on the Sunshine. I have since moved on and decided that we will have a good time on this "new" ship no matter what!

The short of the story is that I believed this to be a brand new built ship and made my choice because of this.

Misleading.

Well, I am agreeing with the OP. As you can see from my signature, I am booked on the Sunshine next year.

My daughter and I cruise together at least once a year and we were trying to decide which cruise line to go on next year. I saw on Carnival's site the "new" ship Sunshine, we clicked on the video for the new ship and watched the video. It made us decide on this ship because everything was stated as new!! The video was computer generated too, so not a real life video. We have always wanted to go on a "new" ship and got excited about that prospect. We booked for August 2014, then I came on to Cruise Critic and started reading about the plumbing, welding and smell problems passengers were experiencing on this new ship over in the Med. Made me begin to worry about our decision on the Sunshine. I have since moved on and decided that we will have a good time on this "new" ship no matter what!

The short of the story is that I believed this to be a brand new built ship and made my choice because of this.

Misleading.

If you watched the video then you would have seen clearly it was a refurb ship. Throughout the whole video they show the conversion of destiny to sunshine (computer generated).

If you never sailed the Destiny or Sunshine then it is certainly new to you!

Either way anybody spending a couple of grand on a cruise should research their ship. If you watch the videos they are all about the "transformation" of the ship from Destiny to Sunshine.

Those that take vacations blindly should not be upset. There are many hotels that post pictures of areas they do not have.

Nope, sorry, kybluecruiser, I watched only the Virtual Video, and at the time was also in the middle of talking with my daughter and watching her new baby at the time so I missed the very small quip about the Destiny in the first sentence or so.

An honest distraction.

Me thinks you are making way to much of the word "new". Isn't embellished otherwised called marketing or PR? WHo sets those standards? Where does it begin and end? Royal calls the market place in the center of some of its ships Central Park....I am mad because it is not really Central Park! How can they lie and embellish like that? Catch my point?;)

But you know it is not really a NY CP. Problem with calling Sunshine a new ship is that many people who are not familiar with CCL product or new cruisers do not know that it is not a new ship.

Nope, sorry, kybluecruiser, I watched only the Virtual Video, and at the time was also in the middle of talking with my daughter and watching her new baby at the time so I missed the very small quip about the Destiny in the first sentence or so.

An honest distraction.

Here is the video carnival produced to introduce Sunshine.

But you know it is not really a NY CP. Problem with calling Sunshine a new ship is that many people who are not familiar with CCL product or new cruisers do not know that it is not a new ship.

Again, it is either ok or not ok. My hypothetical about the park is the same exact thing. Whether I know or don't know that the park is old (as is the old Destiny) or just the renovated version. How you or I perceive it is up to us. Certainly nothing more than marketing

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Again, it is either ok or not ok. My hypothetical about the park is the same exact thing. Whether I know or don't know that the park is old (as is the old Destiny) or just the renovated version. How you or I perceive it is up to us. Certainly nothing more than marketing

And certainly a win if they can get people to vacation in a park.

Yes, it is not the end of the world, but if you think about it what was a reason to rename this ship and call it new other than to hide the fact that it is not really new?

deceptive marketing to the newbies to fork over extra $$$$$.

Does the Breeze charge more money than a ship that has been in service for a few years? Yes it does, and why is that?

Because it's new and everybody wants NEW.

Slapping a new tag on a 17 year old ship, a newbie sees that and books it unknowingly.

Not saying they won't have a great cruise but it's still deceptive.

In the end it's just CCL being CCL and counting on peoples lack of knowledge.

Bill

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-ships/carnival-sunshine.aspx

while it says "new" on the site if you click through it clearly gives the history of the ship.

If you've ever caught a sunrise or sunset at sea, you know that they're the most beautiful kind. The sun has set on Carnival Destiny, a legendary, record-setting ship from the day she debuted. The end? Nope — we’ve transformed this ship into something that shines even brighter. Meet the incredible light of a brand-new dawn, Carnival Sunshine.

111EC4EAA72F4F91836E3FBC0759DD68.ashx

Yes, it is not the end of the world, but if you think about it what was a reason to rename this ship and call it new other than to hide the fact that it is not really new?

Renaming ships is a common practice, as is using the same name for brand new versions of old ships. Are we talking about new or the ship name? Why is it that using the word new implies hiding anything?

I think it's definitely misleading, but I also agree, does it really matter? And for someone who may be "deceived" into thinking it's a new ship, does that really matter, either? It's going to look and feel like a new ship to someone who doesn't know any better anyway.

In the grand scheme of things it only matters that they are perceived (again) as doing something that is a bit negative or dishonest.

To some companies/businesses, this would be an issue. CCL doesn't care. I don't think many of the CCL passengers care either. Most only care about price drops or sneaking bottles on board. Read the first page of the CCL boards here....you'll see what's important to carnival cruisers. It's not how new the Sunshine is (or isn't)

? It is all about credibility....

For some like you and I, it is...others don't really care about credibility. They just want a good deal....and a grand illusion.

Renaming ships is a common practice, as is using the same name for brand new versions of old ships. Are we talking about new or the ship name? Why is it that using the word new implies hiding anything?

Can you please give an example of another ship which was renamed within the same company?

I am not talking about changing names during a transfer. The only one that comes to mind is Costa Romantics -> Neo Romantica. Not really a change, and the same corp.

Not when they stay within the same company, unless they are going through a commonization. Theoretically, they renamed all the old Carnival ships pre Destiny class when they added "Carnival" to all the ships names.

RCCL changed some old ones to conform to the "of the Seas" theme (Nordic Empress to the Empress of the Seas) and some NCL "ward" ships to the NCL "x" (Dreamward to the NCL Dream, etc.)

Destiny had a horrendous reputation. Clearly they are trying to bury the memory. "If you can't dazzle them with diamonds, baffle them with BS". That is the true marketing method, here. Love it or hate it, Carnival has hung their hat on it. :p

Can you please give an example of another ship which was renamed within the same company?

I am not talking about changing names during a transfer. The only one that comes to mind is Costa Romantics -> Neo Romantica. Not really a change, and the same corp.

I was outwardly thinking of the RCCL ones as described above. Sort of the same name but obviously going for the same message (ie new). Also HAL ships, amsterdam to niew amsterdam etc. Not sure what you meant by during a transfer

Destiny had a horrendous reputation. Clearly they are trying to bury the memory. "If you can't dazzle them with diamonds, baffle them with BS". That is the true marketing method, here. Love it or hate it, Carnival has hung their hat on it. :p

Granted she ahd a colorful past (kind of a destiny, one might say;))....horrendous is more than a bit far. It is marketing, that is true.

Which makes it funny when you read posts suggesting name changes for the Triumph, Victory, or the Freedom.

No other ship in the Carnival fleet had as bad a reputation where they actually had to bury the name.

Archived