mosuitos

watertraveler

I have read quite a bit about how bad the mosquitos are in Alaska. :eek:We will be there next June. Has anyone used a thermocell and/or an Off clip on? Were they effective? If not, do you have to go directly for the Deep Woods Off?

Thanks!

Nancy

Where will you be? If just taking a cruise, I have never run into any significant issues. The big problems are mainland, Wonder Lake as an example, I've been hit hard in Fairbanks when it had a lot of rain.

In my opinion, your remedy list- is useless. I go for full strength Deet. Not sure what Deep Wood Off is?

Mosquitoes don't breed in salt or heavily brackish water, so along the coast you don't see many concentrations of those blood suckers. If you venture away from the salt chuck very far, say into a marsh, you might be hammered though.

Deep Woods Off is Johnson Wax's most popular repellent, up here anyway; 25% Deet. Their competition, Backwoods Cutter, is 21.85% Deet. Family Care Off is only 7% Deet and Off Active is 10% Deet. Sportsmen Repel is 27.55% Deet. For kids and sensitive skin, 25% is pretty strong. If I get Deep Woods Off on my lips they get numb and even might swell slightly for a bit.

I try and use the heavy stuff on my hat, socks and cuffs and the lighter stuff on my skin.

Mosquito Coils, which you burn, are excellent I find. Don't light the end of the entire coil though and let it go as that is a waste. I usually brake off a 2 or 3 inch piece and light it, that clears out my entire 20' by 30' cabin with loft easily. You should crack a window for a little ventilation when burning these, or at least that is what the instructions say, nobody pays much attention to that though. Some boxes even say don't use indoors.

A favorite of the old timers is Buhach. A powder which you put in a little stack and let smolder. Also, they say don't use that indoors as well . I think it is much more potent than the coils as years ago I got a little woozy from breathing it, one time. Although, a lady I knew was allergic to mosquito bites and spent about 7 months a year here in the Wrangells. She used Buhach constantly, lived in a Buhach haze. She lived to 95 and hubby made it to 93.

You can find 100% Deet in little bottles which are handy for backpacking or in light weight emergency kits. Be careful though, that stuff will melt plastic.

Other than that, I find the other stuff, like gadgets and especially citronella, to be a rip off.

We have been pretty fortunate here in the Wrangell Mountains the last few years, with hardly any bugs. Not this year. "Ouch" "Slap, Slap".

I was in Alaska from 13-27 June. Saw mosquitos in Anchorage and Talkeetna but they did not bother me, even though I had packed some 98% deet spray as well as deep woods off towelettes. I have been bitten lots of times and didn't know why the Alaska ones didn't bite. A tour guide in Talkeetna (born and raised there) told our group that people who eat garlic or take garlic caps on a regular basis are not usually bothered by the mosquitos. I have taken garlic caps for years.

We did Radiance of the Seas southbound and didn't see any of the little buggers in ports, even though we walked through some beautiful forested areas.

Later.....

Thank you. We will be on a cruise but will be in Denali for several days. Also thinking of doing a float plane ride from Juneau.

I'm unusually susceptible to mosquito bites while my husband is able to swat them away. Looks like I'm going for the 'big guns'! :D

Just got off the Solstice. Saw no skeeters. And didn't mind!

ThermoCell is not a fake, hoax or useless gadget. I hunt a lot and it's amazing and incredible. If I was going where I knew they'd be I would be sure to bring it. It does use butane cylinders so that's a factor with airlines.

A little more advice on insect repellent from Consumer Reports. They suggest citronella might work for "light" mosquito situations. All I can say about that is I have tried and tried many different citronella type devices and solutions, mainly because my wife hates Deet and coils. They have never been even remotely effective.

I previously mentioned "Buhach" and "Mosquito Coils". It appears the "Thermacell" is a technological innovation that employs the same basic active ingredient similar to those two, "Pyrethrum" or (Allethrin), derived from Chrysanthemum cinerariaefolium flowers. Both definitely work but there is much concern over how good, or bad, they are for you. Reading this worries me, but then my friend lived to 95. Go figure.

Regardless, Mosquito Coils or Buhach, don't work very well outdoors if there is even a slight breeze or if you are moving, same probably holds true for the Thermacell.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2014/05/best-way-to-stop-bug-bites/index.htm

http://www.thriftyfun.com/Mosquito-Repellent-Reviews.html

http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/5456/pyrethrum-based-insecticides-from-chrysanthemums

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/24d-captan/allethrin-ext.html

A little more advice on insect repellent from Consumer Reports. They suggest citronella might work for "light" mosquito situations. All I can say about that is I have tried and tried many different citronella type devices and solutions, mainly because my wife hates Deet and coils. They have never been even remotely effective.

I previously mentioned "Buhach" and "Mosquito Coils". It appears the "Thermacell" is a technological innovation that employs the same basic active ingredient similar to those two, "Pyrethrum" or (Allethrin), derived from Chrysanthemum cinerariaefolium flowers. Both definitely work but there is much concern over how good, or bad, they are for you. Reading this worries me, but then my friend lived to 95. Go figure.

Regardless, Mosquito Coils or Buhach, don't work very well outdoors if there is even a slight breeze or if you are moving, same probably holds true for the Thermacell.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2014/05/best-way-to-stop-bug-bites/index.htm

http://www.thriftyfun.com/Mosquito-Repellent-Reviews.html

http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/5456/pyrethrum-based-insecticides-from-chrysanthemums

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/24d-captan/allethrin-ext.html

Hello there Mr S. :)

I've just got to tell you, in May I took my husband to the Air Museum at Boeing Field in Seattle. I was delighted to read about your father. :) :) :) My husband has been there many times, but I wasn't that interested. But I did go this time. I'll be there again Sunday with my nephew- who takes after his uncle. This museum is a special place for my husband. The airline he worked for has a donated plane there, that he did a lot of work on. He got the biggest thrill several years ago when he hooked up with one of the docents and he got to read some of his entries in the log book. :)

I'm also taking my nephew to the Anchorage air museum, and read your father is mentioned there too. We'll be going to the air museum in Fairbanks too. :)

Hello there Mr S. :)

I've just got to tell you, in May I took my husband to the Air Museum at Boeing Field in Seattle. I was delighted to read about your father. :) :) :) My husband has been there many times, but I wasn't that interested. But I did go this time. I'll be there again Sunday with my nephew- who takes after his uncle. This museum is a special place for my husband. The airline he worked for has a donated plane there, that he did a lot of work on. He got the biggest thrill several years ago when he hooked up with one of the docents and he got to read some of his entries in the log book. :)

I'm also taking my nephew to the Anchorage air museum, and read your father is mentioned there too. We'll be going to the air museum in Fairbanks too. :)

Hi K.

When at the Boeing museum be sure and catch the Boeing 80A, NC224M, in the center of the museum. It is a large tri-motor bi-plane. Dad put a lot of hours in that particular airplane during the war when he flew up here for Morrison-Knutson Co in Alaska. He even cracked it up at Merrill Field in Anchorage one time. It is in United Airlines livery now.

Also at the Anchorage Air Museum the Stearman biplane, NC5415, and Travelair 6000, NC8159, are restored and center pieces at the museum. Both had a rich history at one time with Cordova Air Service.