Man Overboard Oasis - Picked up by Disney Magic

ryano

The only reference other than what I posted i can find is by googling and seeing that Jim Walker at Cruise Law News has jumped all over the story.

I refuse to post a link here that goes that fools website. maybe it will pop up other places today.

Edited by ryano

Google searches don't bring up anything about this.

Its the second and sixth thing listed on Google when Googling "Royal Caribbean man overboard on Oasis". I just wont post a link here to Cruise Law News.

The only reference other than what I posted i can find is by googling and seeing that Jim Walker at Cruise Law News has jumped all over the story.

I refuse to post a link here that goes that fools website. maybe it will pop up other places today.

I read it too. That buffoon just can't help himself. :rolleyes:

The passenger was Frank Jade and apparently it has been confirmed that he was a passenger on Oasis...

Google translation of the last paragraph:

"Frank Jade mentioned that early emerged from his cabin to go to the deck of the boat and when I was in the bow a large wave caused it to fall cruise without anyone noticing, so said surprised will stay alive longer there was a time when he felt he would not survive until he reached the Disney Magic who rescued at sea."

He says he was on the bow of the ship when a large wave caused him to fall into to the sea. This is very difficult to imagine on Oasis, unless he was staff or crew or had passed through a secure area.

The first article was from 18 hours ago.

http://www.unioncancun.mx/articulo/2015/01/08/seguridad/crucero-disney-rescata-naufrago-que-cayo-de-otro-crucero?page=1

"The Oasis of the Seas confirmed that it was one of their passengers, but refused to give any further details. "

Thanks for the link. Glad Disney was near enough to rescue the man. Interesting that the article refers to Disney as a cruiser, and Oasis as a floating hotel.

He says he was on the bow of the ship when a large wave caused him to fall into to the sea. This is very difficult to imagine on Oasis, unless he was staff or crew or had passed through a secure area.

I thought the bow of the ship (I assume the helipad) was only open to the public by invite during a sailaway to C&A members only, so yes I agree with you... this info is not very good (or confirmed)

I'm amazed also. I wonder if he had floating some sort of floating device.

You can make a rather serviceable floating device from a pair of long pants. Take them off, zip them up, tie a knot near the ankles, grasp near the waist, take a deep breath, stick your head inside the waist band and exhale. Repeat. After a few minutes, you will have inflated your floating device. Put a leg under each arm. You may need to add air.

I thought the bow of the ship (I assume the helipad) was only open to the public by invite during a sailaway to C&A members only, so yes I agree with you... this info is not very good (or confirmed)

The helipad area is restricted to invited guests on Oasis and Allure. It's open to the public (except when conditions are deemed unsafe) on Radiance, Voyager, and Freedom class ships.

You can make a rather serviceable floating device from a pair of long pants. Take them off, zip them up, tie a knot near the ankles, grasp near the waist, take a deep breath, stick your head inside the waist band and exhale. Repeat. After a few minutes, you will have inflated your floating device. Put a leg under each arm. You may need to add air.

Saw that episode of myth busters. It actually worked quite well.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

That had to be one crazy wave. Where they in a monsoon???:eek:

Sounds like he was doing something he shouldn't have, like sitting on the rail and fell in. Then had to come up with another excuse to blame it on the ship/ocean. Also, if he was on the bow, the watchers/spotters up on the bridge should have seen him.

Edited by ksuds

I'm amazed also. I wonder if he had floating some sort of floating device.

With calm seas and a calm personality it can be done without flotation. Its probably equally impressive to be spotted alone on the ocean even if people are looking for you.

That had to be one crazy wave. Where they in a monsoon???:eek:

Sounds like he was doing something he shouldn't have, like sitting on the rail and fell in. Then had to come up with another excuse to blame it on the ship/ocean. Also, if he was on the bow, the watchers/spotters up on the bridge should have seen him.

I agree...I'm very curious to hear the full story, if it really is a story. It just seems so odd and unbelievable. But I guess anything can happen. Rogue wave hitting the front of Oasis strong enough to "knock" someone overboard? That's quite a wave with no reports from current passengers.

True, and a long sleeved shirt or jacket that zips up can also be used as a floatation device (zip it up as far as you can, roll on your back and blow into the opening at the neck, then roll to your stomach). We teach both techniques in open water lifeguard training. Guards have to go from fully clothed to executing an in-water rescue within 60 seconds, and have to use either their pants or shirt as the floatation device. With the pants, another technique that works quite well is to tie the legs together and then swing the pants over your head so they inflate as you slap the waist down on the water, then stick your head and arms through the opening and cinch the waist closed with your hands.

Edited by orville99