Service Charge (Tips) Increase

jarand

I was notified this by my online Travel Agency:

Starting on December 1, 2015 the standard service charge is increasing from $11.50 to $12.50 per person, per day for Inside, Ocean-view, and Verandah categories. Suite category service charges will be increased from $12.00 to $13.50 per person, per day. Any guest that sails on or before November 30, 2015 will have the option of paying their service charges at the current rate onboard. Please note that Holland America's call center does not have the option to pre-pay service charges before embarkation.

Starting on December 1, 2015 the standard service charge is increasing from $11.50 to $12.50 per person, per day for Inside, Ocean-view, and Verandah categories. Suite category service charges will be increased from $12.00 to $13.50 per person, per day. Any guest that sails on or before November 30, 2015 will have the option of paying their service charges at the current rate onboard. Please note that Holland America's call center does not have the option to pre-pay service charges before embarkation.

This was discussed extensively earlier this month in a previous thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2259833

The $1.50 PP increase is well deserved. :)

my bold/italics - the option ? Are we to assume if you sail before November 30th then the charge will be 11.50$ pp ? Just the wording of the "option" part has got me wondering. Not that it really matters, an extra dollar a day is not going to change much for me just thought that the wording was a bit curious.

my bold/italics - the option ? Are we to assume if you sail before November 30th then the charge will be 11.50$ pp ? Just the wording of the "option" part has got me wondering. Not that it really matters, an extra dollar a day is not going to change much for me just thought that the wording was a bit curious.

I think it's just poor wording. It should just say that guests sailing before the 30th pay the current rates - and then list them.

Is it possible that on December 1 the HSC really increase? If you board November 26 for a 10-day cruise you pay 11.50/12.00 for the first 5 days and 12.50/13.00 for the last 5, but you can keep the lower rates for the entire cruise without needing to give a reason?

In any case, what happens on a Collectors Cruise where the first leg starts in November and the second leg in December?

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Is it possible that on December 1 the HSC really increase? If you board November 26 for a 10-day cruise you pay 11.50/12.00 for the first 5 days and 12.50/13.00 for the last 5, but you can keep the lower rates for the entire cruise without needing to give a reason?

In any case, what happens on a Collectors Cruise where the first leg starts in November and the second leg in December?

Roy

As another poster mentioned this was discussed extensively in a previous thread..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2259833

Your question is answered in the OP's first post of that thread from the "Know Before You Go"

Info..

Quote ---

Just reading "Know before you Go" and noticed this.

Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crew members who serve you directly, such as Dining Room wait staff and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crew members are recognized and rewarded, a daily Hotel Service Charge is automatically added to each guest’s shipboard account.

The daily Hotel Service Charge*, per guest per day, is:

Staterooms (interior, ocean-view and verandah) on sailings departing on or prior to November 30, 2015 US$11.50

Suites on sailings departing on or prior to November 30, 2015 US$12.00

Staterooms (interior, ocean-view and verandah) on sailings departing on or after December 1, 2015 US$12.50

Suites on sailings departing on or after December 1, 2015 US$13.50

*The charges are subject to change without notice. Unquote

Edited by serendipity1499

I'm happy to hear the crew will get a bit more. They more than deserve it and it is but a small increase. I'd be fine if the increase was a bit more generous. Who doesn't want/need an increase in their wages these days?

Well, that explains it. I was wondering why my invoice showed an increase. You would have thought that HAL would have sent an explanation along with the invoice. I don't mind the increase. I just think HAL should explain it when sending a bill for a paid in full cruise.

Well, that explains it. I was wondering why my invoice showed an increase. You would have thought that HAL would have sent an explanation along with the invoice. I don't mind the increase. I just think HAL should explain it when sending a bill for a paid in full cruise.

The HSC is not on the invoice for the cruise -- it only shows up on your onboard account daily. You probably have an increase in port fees.

Hotel Service Charge is never reflected on the invoice for our fare. It is only on the invoice for On Board Account.

It is likely a small increase on your invoice is for a change in port charges which is out of HAL's control. The port dictates what those fees will be.

You can take it off and not pay anything if you want. I don't like the cruise companies telling me what I have to tip..

You can take it off and not pay anything if you want. I don't like the cruise companies telling me what I have to tip..

You can also choose another form of vacation if you disagree with the operating procedures. Stiffing the crew is not an appropriate response.

Edited by Zeta3

1. The new rate is good, but you never have to wait for the cruise line to dictate; you are free to increase your gratuities to what is fairly deserved.

2. Another good thing: With a strong U.S. dollar, the staff will enjoy an additional bonus for the cash that gets sent or taken back home

1. The new rate is good, but you never have to wait for the cruise line to dictate; you are free to increase your gratuities to what is fairly deserved.

2. Another good thing: With a strong U.S. dollar, the staff will enjoy an additional bonus for the cash that gets sent or taken back home

nevermind

Edited by YubaSutter