helicopter and float plane safety?

styme123

I've heard that these aerial excursions are a must do. How safe are they? crashes? Are the helicopter rides better than the float planes? Is there a better port for them? We will be going to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchican, sailing through Glacier Bay. I was thinking to try and find something that goes by Tracy Arm so we have even more opportunities to see glaciers.

Flight seeing vendors are under strict FAA guidelines for safety and maintenance. Yes there have been "crashes". Fortunately very few. You have to be accepting of the unknown, since nobody can't predict the future. I fly very frequently, it's not for everyone.

I've heard that these aerial excursions are a must do. How safe are they? crashes? Are the helicopter rides better than the float planes? Is there a better port for them? We will be going to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchican, sailing through Glacier Bay. I was thinking to try and find something that goes by Tracy Arm so we have even more opportunities to see glaciers.

Very safe. Helicopter operators operate to FAA rules, plus usually to higher standards as adopted by the helicopter tour industry. Floatplanes have a whole industry around keeping them airworthy. Many of both types have advanced navigation systems, and the FAA has installed dozens of weather webcams so pilots can confirm conditions for the route prior to launch.

I don't think you'll find many air options for Tracy Arm, as the flying distances involved would drive the prices beyond that which is reasonable for passengers to bite on.

Has anyone tried both helicopter and float plane options, pros/cons preferences? I just started looking but the float planes seem to be a lot cheaper of a flight than the helicopters seem to be, but the helicopters land on the glaciers? Is walking around on the glacier worth the few hundred dollars more? There will be 7 of us so quite an investment. Since we will be sailing past them, is there such a different perspective? Is there a better port than the other to fly out of? For me the money aspect is an issue so if I do this excursion it doesn't leave me really much money to do other excursions at the other ports. Is it worth doing this and sacrificing the others? I'm just beginning to look into the other ports so I don't even know what they have to offer and how expensive they are. Maybe I can do more than I think:confused:

Ports are: Skagway, Juneau, Ketchican sailing by Glacier Bay in July 2016.

@triptolemus the photos are amazing!

Has anyone tried both helicopter and float plane options, pros/cons preferences? I just started looking but the float planes seem to be a lot cheaper of a flight than the helicopters seem to be, but the helicopters land on the glaciers? Is walking around on the glacier worth the few hundred dollars more? There will be 7 of us so quite an investment. Since we will be sailing past them, is there such a different perspective? Is there a better port than the other to fly out of? For me the money aspect is an issue so if I do this excursion it doesn't leave me really much money to do other excursions at the other ports. Is it worth doing this and sacrificing the others? I'm just beginning to look into the other ports so I don't even know what they have to offer and how expensive they are. Maybe I can do more than I think:confused:

Years ago, I tried to break down the cost of every excursion I was considering into "price per hour", or in the case of flying tours, "price per flying minute". IIRC, all of the flying stuff came down to the same $/min, unless there was an obvious differentiator in the tour (i.e. a second activity with an appreciable cost of entry). I've done the helicopter to glacier, and a float plane to Neets Bay for a bear watch. Walking on the glacier is ABSOLUTELY a different perspective - being able to photograph people next to the boulders provides a size reference that's just not comprehensible from the ship.

Safe for a helicopter but let's face it things happen.

It's fine as long as you are not in the helicopter that has an accident.

For me I won't do it but I am also very particular about small planes.

I flew many times in corporate jets but I won't go on small planes operated by airlines such as American Eagle.. I have concerns not only about planes they use but about the pilots. They all meet FAA requirements but that doesn't mean that they are all equal to the capabilities of large planes or the experience of pilots who operate larger planes. Just my opinion.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Yes, I have both flights multiple times, along with many others, in Alaska.

You certainly can get some fantastic experiences from your ship sailing by glaciers, key would be to invest time in doing so. :) (too many, ask what "time" are the glaciers, step out for 20 minutes then run off. :) ) For me sailing Glacier Bay, I am out at least an hour prior to the posted time, if a 6am arrival. I am out shortly after that, if a later time, and I stay out ALL day. :) This area also has a lot of wildlife potential, always have your binoculars with you. :)

I don't recommend over stepping the financial limits, especially at the expense of several other tour alternatives, that may be a better use of funds and that are a better time value and very enjoyable.

The first thing I will mention- is split up, if varied interests. I'm certain, everyone is not giving the same priorities to tours.

I suggest with the size of your group, you may want to consider chartering a flight and go with what becomes a good value for your group? Helicopters don't hold your numbers, so planes could be a better option. Just suggestion, out of Skagway, an hour flight would give you a lot of glacier viewing and an extremely scenic flight. Maybe take a look at a vendor, I've used. It doesn't hurt to ask for a discount. :) And being open to a charter at their scheduling could work out at a lower cost. http://www.mountainflyingservice.com/haines-skagway-glacier-bay-flightseeing-tours

Another suggestion- is a charter out of Ketchikan, your group would fill, perfectly, many beaver floatplanes. Again, would have more control over costs, if you just wanted a shorter scenic flight and the floatplane experience. Being flexible is key with scheduling. This is NOT a general glacier area however, unless you are in an extended- more costly flight time due to the distance of the glaciers.

If you are concerned with safety issues do a Google search. You will find a lot more crashes than people on these boards would like you to believe. I got 14,000 results. Take that for what it might be worth.

Edited by zqvol

I flew commercially in Alaska on the coast and in the interior, for 12 years, for the light aircraft bush division of an airline, flying both floats and wheels. Before I flew I worked as a mechanic/helper, one time in 1955 a helicopter came through, the pilot needed some help so asked me to ride along. It was only a 10 minute flight but that was the last time I was in a rotor wing until April 2013. Being a fixed wing pilot I listened to my colleagues, too much, we were always sort of prejudice about the rotor wings. But over the years I noticed that in Hawaii and even here in Alaska the helicopter outfits were slowly dominating the flight seeing industry. I wondered why. There was a non-fatal helicopter sightseeing accident in Southeast Alaska about 13 years or more ago that caused a little anxiety. It turned out that was the first safety board documented accident a rotor wing had down there, which amazed me as fixed wing accidents over the same statistical period were relatively commonplace. In my years of commercial flying I flew dozens and dozens of trips which were considered flightsees. I never had an accident of any type.

Having said all that, in April 2013 my wife and I decided to take a helicopter flightsee on Kona, even though we had been been in Hawaii hundreds of days since 1970. Here is what I reported in Tripadviser:

"It was a beautiful day, but even at that, due all the hot gas and stuff from the vents the volcano sort of makes its own weather. So there were stretches where the smog was rather thick. We stopped in Hilo to refuel, then continued on along the coast. Very spectacular waterfalls, one after another, all set in the beautiful rain forests on that side of the island, then you come to Waimanu Valley, wow. I've only been on a chopper once before and that was when I was 15 or 16. No wonder helicopters are taking over visitor flight seeing, the world over. Going slow and hovering about and above outstanding vistas is the key, particularly when looking right down the throat of an active volcano. Blue Hawaiian gets an A plus in my book and I was in the airplane game all my life. Ask for pilot Greg. Excellent pilot with a personality and one who not only knows flying but island history and geography and isn't afraid to share." http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2126883

Edited by kennicott

Guest Nellsmom58

If you can afford it, and being at a glacier is on your bucket list, then, by all means, do it! We took the helicopter in Skagway to walk on the glacier, and it was by far the highlight of our trip. For me, it was worth every penny and I will never forget it! It was surreal and magical to realize what you are actually walking on, and you cannot get that feeling by just looking down at it. I echo everyone who has posted that helicopter tours on the glacier are safe, fun, and worth it. I hope this helps...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

@Budget Queen thanks for the link I went on their site and bookmarked them.

It sounds the the helicopter glacier trip is a once in a life time type experience. I'm wondering with our group if it's doable, since there are 7 of us. I guess we could split up and do 3, 4 in each plane. The other thing is the helicopters have weight restrictions the float planes don't. If your over 250# with clothes on some places charge $100 more, and some have you get an additional ticket:eek: 2/3 of us might not make the cut off. To put it in perspective, one of my son's is a 6'2" former Marine-football player type at probably 260-270#.

I did take the advice of one of the other posters and google float plane helicopter accidents in Alaska but I only got about 3? unfortunately one was 2015 from HAL passengers. My husband and kids are starting to rethink this excursion. :( Not sure if they are right or not. I haven't heard many reviews of the excursion that didn't say it was a wonderful experience.

I did take the advice of one of the other posters and google float plane helicopter accidents in Alaska but I only got about 3? unfortunately one was 2015 from HAL passengers. My husband and kids are starting to rethink this excursion. :( Not sure if they are right or not. I haven't heard many reviews of the excursion that didn't say it was a wonderful experience.

As Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding (Morgan Freeman) said in The Shawshank Redemption, "get busy livin', or get busy dyin'". Think of it this way: the odds are low, and it could be said that the 2015 incident spun the odds in your favor. The airplane was operated by ProMech Air, and I flew on that plane in 2014. I'd do it again any day - it's a "Turbine Otter", perhaps 10 seats, with a "turboprop" engine (which means a gas turbine to a gearbox that turns a propeller; high reliability of a turbine "jet" engine with the simpler, slower speeds of a propeller). I'd do a helicopter ride too, but whale watches in Juneau always seem to win out, and I think the helicopter ride options in Juneau are better than Skagway. Although I'd guess the 2015 incident to be pilot error, anything is possible.

If nothing else, realize that "donating" your tour (by electing to skip the flight right up to the last minute) is a small price to pay if you don't feel comfortable going. You certainly have that right.

I have not been to Alaska but I have spent a fair amount of time in small planes and helicopters doing aerial photography. Yes, helicopters are a lot more expensive but the sightseeing is so much better in platform that can hover and maneuver in tight spaces. If it was me going, I would spend the extra $$$. Oh, we are going to Alaska this July and I am still trying to find a way to convince DW to fly......:(. No point in me spending the money if she won't open her eyes..

We have done both the plane and helicopter tours in Alaska (and elsewhere) and they are amazing! I wouldn't hesitate to take a plane or helicopter again either. Yes, accidents do happen, but if you live worrying about that then you might just want to stay home. The accident could happen on your flight to the departure city, on the ride from the airport to the ship, on the ship, or on your flight/ ride home after the cruise. You just never know, so live it up and book the excursion, you won't regret it! Have a great time!

@ Trophy True true, I think I'm more nervous about it crashing than the actually stepping out of my comfort zone and trying it. I'm going to keep looking into it a searching the different websites of the places. I started to look at the ones others recommended on the forum. I wish there was more availability of the trips on the days we were in port this way I could just see how I felt that day and go. From what I hear they book up too fast.

@ Trophy True true, I think I'm more nervous about it crashing than the actually stepping out of my comfort zone and trying it. I'm going to keep looking into it a searching the different websites of the places. I started to look at the ones others recommended on the forum. I wish there was more availability of the trips on the days we were in port this way I could just see how I felt that day and go. From what I hear they book up too fast.

My wife hates heights. Hates them. She has an irrational fear of it. She hyperventilates, freaks out and runs away from anything having to do with height. She tenses up. She won't go on the damn aerial tram at the zoo. She hates glass elevators. She backs away from the rail up on the sports deck of the ship. The bump out on the jogging track makes her bend her knees in retreat like a scared cat.

She, reluctantly, allowed me to book the helicopter excursion pictured above. Yes, she had a couple drinks when she agreed, and yes she secretly regretted doing so the next morning. When we boarded the ship on day 1, her excitement for the helicopter ride could not be contained. When we stepped off the gangplank in Skagway, she acted as if she were 8 years old, just tall enough to ride the greatest ride at Disneyland.

When she was assigned the front seat of the helicopter -- next to the pilot -- she flashed a quick look of apprehension which was quickly replaced by delight. It was all my idea, and I was the one in the back seat, nursing a hangover, and a bit of a wreck.

She took most of the pictures. She was the one on the headset talking to the pilot asking questions. She even picked our landing spot! If I turned my head around and asked her right now if she would jump on that chopper again, she would agree in a heartbeat.

Book it. The trepidation will pass. I can promise you it will be one of the most amazing experiences of your life.

Lisa sez... do it:

lisa-glacier1.jpg

Book it. The trepidation will pass. I can promise you it will be one of the most amazing experiences of your life.

Lisa sez... do it:

lisa-glacier1.jpg

I disagree- this tour is NOT for everyone. I have personally flown with people who were absolutely miserable/terrified, and never should have stepped foot on the plane. They didn't get any better as the flight went on either.

My husband was part of a fearful flyer program at his work, as the mechanical expert. in some cases it made no difference the information or guidance in the classes. Many times, there was pressure from others, which was an added issue. Huge numbers of these people and some who never get over it.

Your making a "promise" that can't be made.

Edited by Budget Queen

Your making a "promise" that can't be made.

Thank you, Debbie Downer. I think you're being a bit too literal. There's a difference between positive encouragement and shoving someone into an aircraft against their will.

Edited by triptolemus

Guest Nellsmom58

Triptolemus,

LOVED your story! Thanks for sharing! I'm with your wife, and LOVED EVERY MINUTE! And I hate heights just like her. I also would do again in a heartbeat and cherish the memories of that trip. Not for everyone, true, but life is only what we make of it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Good point BQ. I do have a bit of vertigo just walking up steps with no backs:D but as long as I go slow I can manage. It's more of a perceptual thing. My reservation about the flights is more of am I being naive about the real dangers. How reliable are these companies? Granted they do not want anything to happen either being on the same flight as me so I would imagine if they felt the conditions weren't right to go out they would cancel. My DH seems to be a bit more skeptical noting the fact that there is such a short season people may be more inclined to "push it" a little more to not miss out on lost revenue if the weather looks a little iffy.

Good point BQ. I do have a bit of vertigo just walking up steps with no backs:D but as long as I go slow I can manage. It's more of a perceptual thing. My reservation about the flights is more of am I being naive about the real dangers. How reliable are these companies? Granted they do not want anything to happen either being on the same flight as me so I would imagine if they felt the conditions weren't right to go out they would cancel. My DH seems to be a bit more skeptical noting the fact that there is such a short season people may be more inclined to "push it" a little more to not miss out on lost revenue if the weather looks a little iffy.

Of course, all this is possible with any vendor, there isn't any guarantee and depend on each person to access, how much- risk- they wish to take. Various decisions are possible- with all involved- the pilots, mechanics, passengers. How it all works out is not known until the event. Same thinking as when you open your car door. :)

Search yourself, and find your own way. it doesn't matter what anyone else does or would do. If it's not a risk you can be at peace with, then close that door and find something else to occupy your time. There are plenty of alternatives.

It is certainly true that some simply have a fear of flying and no matter how much well intentioned encouragement takes place, still don't like it. After I went to work for a fairly large airline here the mechanics used to talk about one of their colleagues who hated riding in aircraft, he was the best and smartest aircraft mechanic on the crew. Not too long after they acquired their first large passenger turbojet transport, a four engine Convair 880, mechanics in Alaska were required to travel to the company headquarters in Seattle for training on the new ship. This mechanic refused to fly down to Seattle, unfortunately, without the training he couldn't remain employed.

His mechanic buddies talked him into it though, to help out they took him to the bar before departure and got him good and drunk, then poured him on the airplane. It just so happened that the flight had to make an intermediate stop at Fairbanks, which in those days had lots of bad winter ice fog. The mechanic was riding in the far aft of the fuselage. They got a tad low on final and stuck the aircraft tail into the small black spruce forest off the end of the runway. They aborted the approach and headed directly for Seattle. After arrival a hunk of a tree was found imbedded in the horizontal stabilizer. A lot of unpleasantries for the airline, fines, bad publicity, etc, ensued.

Anyway, the mechanic in the rear seat by the window took all this in and knew what was happening. After his training in Seattle he bought a pickup truck down there and drove back to Anchorage. Believe he never flew again.

Edited by kennicott