Massage early in pregnancy

We are scheduled to cruise on May 28 at which point I will be 8 weeks pregnant. I called Royal Caribbean to ask about massages that are safe for pregnant women and she said she couldn't find anything about massages that are safe for pregnant women, but that I should go to the spa when I board the ship and ask.

My massage is scheduled on the 4th day of the cruise, I am wondering if I should just cancel it.

Does anyone have experience with being pregnant and getting a massage on the ship?

We are scheduled to cruise on May 28 at which point I will be 8 weeks pregnant. I called Royal Caribbean to ask about massages that are safe for pregnant women and she said she couldn't find anything about massages that are safe for pregnant women, but that I should go to the spa when I board the ship and ask.

My massage is scheduled on the 4th day of the cruise, I am wondering if I should just cancel it.

Does anyone have experience with being pregnant and getting a massage on the ship?

I would ask your OB or at least someone in the OB office since you might not have seen the OB yet since you are so early in the pregnancy.

I would contact your ob and ask the question just to be certain. Having said that, you will be so early in your pregnancy that I don't see having a massage will be an issue for you. Further, the masseuses on board should have had some training and some knowledge about pregnancy massage (most spas DO offer special pregnancy massages). However, you cannot know for certain if they have had that sort of training, so checking with your OB first and getting their input should be your first step.

Even if you have yet to visit your OB for the first time, they will certainly speak with you on the phone about the matter.

Congratulations to you, and have a great cruise.

They likely will opt to not perform the massage due to pregnancy. Most massage therapists won't.

Even if they will (or you choose not to disclose), if the therapist isn't a Certified Prenatal Massage Therapist I personally wouldn't risk it.

According to my massage therapist, no therapist is allowed or will perform a massage on a woman as soon as the therapist hears the client is pregnant, unless the therapist is certified for prenatal massage. Other posters are correct, ask your OB. If you feel comfortable not telling the therapist, then they may do it if they don't figure it out. But if I remember correctly, they give you form to fill out and I 'think' that question is on there. The choice is yours.

Erika

Wife was 9 weeks pregnant on the Adventure back in December - the spa wouldn't perform ANY massages on her.

Last Summer we were on the Oasis while wife was pregnant and had a massage that she thoroughly enjoyed. Just go to the spa on the first day and ask if they have someone who is able to do the prenatal massage and you will be good.....enjoy the cruise!

Indeed. Scary sometimes what people will seek advice for online.

I know...and look at how many "opposite" opinions she is receiving. Yes, I had one...No, they would not do it. It's crazy. I am a nurse and would never in a million years give an opinion on a medical condition and yet non-professionals seem to think they can. I know people are just trying to help, but it can be dangerous to do so. None of us know her circumstances.

I know...and look at how many "opposite" opinions she is receiving. Yes, I had one...No, they would not do it. It's crazy. I am a nurse and would never in a million years give an opinion on a medical condition and yet non-professionals seem to think they can. I know people are just trying to help, but it can be dangerous to do so. None of us know her circumstances.

I count 1 saying they had done it (without clarifying they made it known there was a pregnancy involved), 1 saying they couldn't get the massage due to pregnancy and 7 saying consult their OBGYN and/or not unless the therapist is licensed in prenatal massage. That's pretty sound (and verifiable) advice without offering a medical opinion.

I count 1 saying they had done it (without clarifying they made it known there was a pregnancy involved), 1 saying they couldn't get the massage due to pregnancy and 7 saying consult their OBGYN and/or not unless the therapist is licensed in prenatal massage. That's pretty sound (and verifiable) advice without offering a medical opinion.

To respond - yes pregnancy was known and massage was booked after that which was even after the cruise was previously booked. Oasis had 1 person at the Spa who was certified to do prenatal massages and had an opening.

There are several articles, threads, blogs surrounding "Baby moons" which include prenatal massages. Point is no one knows YOUR situation and if you can/can't do it but that wasn't the question - she wanted to know if anyone had experience with doing one on ship.