Transportation from London Heathrow to Southampton

travelgirl45

We are going on the Crown August 26th Cruise from Southampton. What would someone recommend for transportation from Heathrow to the hotel (Holiday Inn) in Southampton. This is the day before the cruise.

We did the exact same thing in 2016 and used smiths for airports. Excellent service at reasonable cost. We were met at the exit from Customs by the driver and had a private transfer to the Holiday Inn. This link does work http://www.smithsforairports.com/index.html

I would suggest taking the National Express coach, from either Heathrow central for all terminals except terminal 5 which has it's own pick up point at the terminal to Southampton Coach station, then taxi from there if needed. Cost is from £1 to £25 per person depending on when you book. Smiths are based on the south coast and will charge in the region of £100.

As in previous posts, you have two best choices:

More money, more convenience - Smiths for Airports. I, and many others here on the boards, have found them to be very reliable and reasonably priced compared to other car services.

Less expensive but still fairly convenient - National Express coach, then taxi to hotel.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx. You can book online, the prepaid tickets are cheaper.

Considerations include how mobile you are and how much luggage you have and which is your arrival terminal in LHR. It's an awfully long walk from terminal 3 to the coach station - all on the flat but still ... I don't know about Terminal 5, I rarely fly through it.

Also, of course, how many in your party since with a car service you pay per car and with the coach it'll be per person.

We normally do Smiths but they were fully booked on the morning of the 26th. We ended up booking with Pink Berry Cars. A little more expensive than Smiths (90 Euro instead of 83). However they take credit cards with a 3 euro surcharge, which Smiths does not.

We are going to Southampton a few days early before our cruise on the 29th.

Another vote for Smiths. At the end off a long flight with little sleep, the last thing we wanted to do was maneuver all our luggage ourselves, try to find the bus, etc. How wonderful to find a driver waiting for us as we descended the escalator into the baggage claim area, have him load the bags up on a cart and then to follow him a short distance to a very nice private car, point out the sights along the way, and deliver us right to the door of our hotel. Very well worth the little extra money!

Another vote for Smiths. At the end off a long flight with little sleep, the last thing we wanted to do was maneuver all our luggage ourselves, try to find the bus, etc. How wonderful to find a driver waiting for us as we descended the escalator into the baggage claim area, have him load the bags up on a cart and then to follow him a short distance to a very nice private car, point out the sights along the way, and deliver us right to the door of our hotel. Very well worth the little extra money!

I agree. Excellent and relaxing way to end a flight and start the vacation. :)

We did Smiths two years ago and have called them again for our BI cruise on August 29th this year. They were very professional, prompt and helped to make the trip more enjoyable. We had booked them for five transfers the first time and are now booked for six this year. Well worth every penny for us.

Good to see all the positive references for Smith's For Airports. We have booked them to take us to Southampton from LHR where we are staying a couple of days before embarkation on the CB. Their rates are very good and the services they provide match what we need for this transfer.

We used Twelve Transfers.

https://www.twelvetransfers.co.uk/

#1 transfer (taxi) on Tripadvisor.

we used them for 4 different transfers. always on time and professional, clean cars. Not Mercedes, but clean newer model vehicles. we priced out them and Smiths, Twelve was cheaper.

We also took the Stonehenge detour, well worth the extra money if you have time.

How far ahead should we book transfers with Smiths or others?

With Smiths I would book as soon as you have your flight details. You can always contact them to change times or even cancel. They do book up. For example when I contacted them a few weeks ago they were already fully booked for August 26.