Update marketing preferences or lose loyalty status?

Geoffa30

Just received the latest Princess magazine in the UK. Inside was a leaflet saying that due to new EU GDPR rules, we had to update our marketing preferences and opt to stay part of the Captain’s Circle. Logged onto my account online and, in Profile Information, it was requesting detail on this. Please be aware as, not sure, but it might lead to people losing their loyalty status.

Just received the latest Princess magazine in the UK. Inside was a leaflet saying that due to new EU GDPR rules, we had to update our marketing preferences and opt to stay part of the Captain’s Circle. Logged onto my account online and, in Profile Information, it was requesting detail on this. Please be aware as, not sure, but it might lead to people losing their loyalty status.

Yes we (and others) received an email from Princess asking us to update those preferences about 3 weeks ago so I guess the leaflet was to try and pick up those who hadn't previously signed for emails! Cunard and P&O also sent them out.

Sandra

Yes we (and others) received an email from Princess asking us to update those preferences about 3 weeks ago so I guess the leaflet was to try and pick up those who hadn't previously signed for emails! Cunard and P&O also sent them out.

Sandra

Just trawled back through emails and couldn’t find anything. Neither could my partner. Nothing from P&O either. Knew all about the GDPR changes as having to deal with them at work. Hope no one gets caught out.

Just trawled back through emails and couldn’t find anything. Neither could my partner. Nothing from P&O either. Knew all about the GDPR changes as having to deal with them at work. Hope no one gets caught out.

Agreed! We have a GDPR programme at our work too. For info, the Princess emails arrived on 20th March and had the obscure subject heading "Important information within your personalised video!" P&O emails arrived on 6th April started with your name and "don’t let this be the end"

Agreed! We have a GDPR programme at our work too. For info, the Princess emails arrived on 20th March and had the obscure subject heading "Important information within your personalised video!" P&O emails arrived on 6th April started with your name and "don’t let this be the end"

Just found the email. Both mine and my partner’s were sent to him on 20 March. No mention in the body of the email about updating marketing preferences etc. You had to watch the video. Bit sneaky of Princess if you ask me.

So Glad I spotted this, Both hubby and I got the email and Hubby got the Magazine in the post.

I did watch the video when mine came through but totally over looked the bit at the end saying "you need to update your status".

If not for this thread I would have continued to ignore them.

Lead both of us to wonder just how many will miss out in the future because of it.

Nice looking Magazine, having taken our 1st Princess Cruise 8 years ago it's the 1st I've seen.

So Glad I spotted this, Both hubby and I got the email and Hubby got the Magazine in the post.

I did watch the video when mine came through but totally over looked the bit at the end saying "you need to update your status".

If not for this thread I would have continued to ignore them.

Lead both of us to wonder just how many will miss out in the future because of it.

Nice looking Magazine, having taken our 1st Princess Cruise 8 years ago it's the 1st I've seen.

Glad we helped! Yes I agree - the email update could have been handled in a better away.

Loved the interview with Captain Tuvo in the Princess Journey magazine - makes us want to cruise with him!

Sandra

HAL sent me a mail beginning with "We'd Hate to See You". As I never travelled with them, I cancelled the mail without reading further or opening it, because I thought it was phishing, I couldn't imagine a cruiseline sending a mail like this. Finally, a CC member explained me it was a message about EU GDPR program (The complete message was " We'd Hate to See You Go") : wonder how many people understood what it was about! [emoji4]

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

Thanks for the information. DW and I have trolled through the video and updated our details . Lesson to be learned, as we never get round to opening up most advertising emails so would have missed this one. I wouldn't think ,by not updating you would loose your captains circle credits. But then who knows the wonder workings of Princess.:D

With this being a change in legislation, it seems mainly to relate to UK cruisers. I think the main thing is that other cruise lines cruises used to count towards your Princess cruise credit score (up to 12 December 2017), P&O, Ocean Village, Sitmar etc. then the rules changed. The data relating to these cruises will be held on other cruise lines data banks. So they cannot be included if the data is not available to Princess.

Regards John

OK. Being on this side of the ocean I was curious as to what GDPR is, so I looked it up.

A Definition of GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), agreed upon by the European Parliament and Council in April 2016, will replace the Data Protection Directive 95/46/ec in Spring 2018 as the primary law regulating how companies protect EU citizens' personal data.

So it has to do with how data about EU citizens is handled. (I assume that after BREXIT it will no longer apply in the UK.) I suppose without your acknowledging your permission for how Princess wants to use/share the data, they cannot share your status, possibly not even with travel agents.

OK. Being on this side of the ocean I was curious as to what GDPR is, so I looked it up.

So it has to do with how data about EU citizens is handled. (I assume that after BREXIT it will no longer apply in the UK.) I suppose without your acknowledging your permission for how Princess wants to use/share the data, they cannot share your status, possibly not even with travel agents.

There will be some form of it post-Brexit in the UK and it will apply to UK companies who operate in Europe.

I saw the email with the video but didn't bother looking at it. I also got the magazine but didn't pay any attention to the enclosed mailing. If it hadn't been for cc, I would not have realised about this. Do you think they really will remove all loyalty benefits to those who do not respond!!!

I saw the email with the video but didn't bother looking at it. I also got the magazine but didn't pay any attention to the enclosed mailing. If it hadn't been for cc, I would not have realised about this. Do you think they really will remove all loyalty benefits to those who do not respond!!!

Who knows. It could their way of saving a few extra $ on free laundry. You know Princess and their cutbacks :confused::o;p:D:')

Oh well look on the bright side, your laundry may come back quicker if they bump a load of pax down to blue status. I can’t imagine the face on a Elite passenger when they are issued a blue card at check in

Well I ignored the personalised video email too. The P&O version was a little more explicit.

Ok so I logged into my circle account and sure enough it says “edit these details to remain in the captains circle”.

I only found this after logging in and then eventually stumbling on the option.

Thanks for the heads up, otherwise I would have missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is interesting that we have had this from the Carnival Corporation cruise company but have not heard a thing from Celebrity who we are also part of their loyalty program :confused:

Aren’t Celebrity one of the Royal Caribbean brands?

Interesting, but, whist they do have to comply with the law, I can't imagine that they will simply remove people from the Captain's Circle without making a serious effort to chase up those who do not update their profile, perhaps even to the extent of phoning people who do not update their profile.

Remember this is a piece of much needed Data Protection / Privacy legislation and companies are going to work very hard to avoid losing loyal clients which is why they have loyalty programmes (Many years ago BA did some research on client loyalty and discovered that it cost 10 times as much marketing effort to attract a new customer as it does to retain an existing customer and that, once you lose a formerly loyal client, it is almost impossible to get them back).

Also remember that not everyone who is in the scheme visit the website and I can't imagine that Princess are ever going to want to exclude clients, from their loyalty club just because they don't use the internet.

I have two suites booked back to back at Christmas and I have to admit that, I had not noticed the e-mail. As a result, if I had not seen this thread and they had not chased up my membership, there is a distinct possibility that I would have arrived at check-in to discover that we are not longer members and not entitled to either our internet credit or our $25 loyalty OBC when the booking confirmation they sent me says that I am Elite.

For sure, they do have to comply with the new legislation, but I am pretty sure that what that will mean in practice is that folks accounts will be suspended until they come to check in for their next cruise when they will be invited to give the permissions necessary to re-instate their membership accounts. (Remember that this legislation applies to keeping your personal data secure and, even if they delete your electronic records, they will still have hard copies of your account)

Also remember that not everyone who is in the scheme visit the website and I can't imagine that Princess are ever going to want to exclude clients, from their loyalty club just because they don't use the internet.

I believe they are trying to address that by including the insert in the latest Princess Journey magazine - but again, it has the risk of being treated as spam :)

I believe they are trying to address that by including the insert in the latest Princess Journey magazine - but again, it has the risk of being treated as spam :)

What is interesting is the way Princess (or rather Carnival) are dealing with this.

For example whilst all my members clubs (bridge club, yacht club etc.) have made the effort to deal with this, we have not YET heard from any of British Airways Executive Club, National Trust, Tesco, Hotels.com Rewards, Amazon, Hyatt, etc.

Wonder how it will affect Facebook AND INDEED Cruise Critic!!

Interestingly, as they make clear, the insert can only be used by ONE person. If there are two of you then, they make the point ON THE INSERT that one of you will have to visit the website - Unless of course you have elected for BOTH of you to receive mail shots.