Experienced Cruiser, First Time Beverage Package

Leaving in less than 3 weeks on our 9th cruise together (me and sis). For the first time we're getting the beverage package. This cruise will be spent mostly onboard (we're using this cruise as a floating resort). We just needed a vacation and this was an easy cruise (no air travel involved). Neither of us are big beach goers.

After crunching the numbers we're going for it. Got a decent price (I think) - $48/pp/pd. We're not huge drinkers but between wine (we typically bring the 2 bottles) and happy hours and bloody marys for brunch and a good cup of coffee, it just made sense.

Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

We will also be buying a package for the first time for our upcoming cruise. I will definitely try out some drinks for the first time since they've already been paid for an if I don't like them I won't feel compelled to finish them.

I used to always say I would never buy a drink package, but recently we have had it on 3 cruises, and really enjoy it. Of course, have only gotten it when there was a good deal. Sometimes I think there is pressure to have to drink so much to meet your daily break even point. Depending on what you drink, that might not take much! But we enjoy the specialty coffees (add some Kahlua or Baileys), fresh OJ, and of course all the mixed drinks. It is nice to have wine with dinner and not worry about paying $12 to $16 per glass. Overall, it is nice to have and I hope you guys enjoy it too!!

Are there any drinks you can't get because of cost? Is there a price limit as to what the max price would be for mixed drinks before you have to pay additional?

I looked on RCI's website but couldn't find that information.

Our drink package is on sale now for $45 per day but we are in port every day except 1 so not sure it would be worth it.

Bill

Are there any drinks you can't get because of cost? Is there a price limit as to what the max price would be for mixed drinks before you have to pay additional?

Our drink package is on sale now for $45 per day but we are in port every day except 1 so not sure it would be worth it.

Bill

The max price covered by the beverage package varies, but is usually $12 or $13. If you order a drink over the limit, you pay the difference plus 18% of the difference.

Bill

Most drinks are covered if using what are in my opinion pretty decent brand, for the most part, spirits. If some above average premium brands are requested you will pay the difference.

bosco

I priced out the drink package for my shortest upcoming cruise (4 night Bahamas cruise next April) and it was $360 CDN. Yeah that's a no. I'd like to try it one day but I'll have to figure it out when they have a good sale. The buy 1 get 1 50% off doesn't work for me as I mostly travel solo.

I priced out the drink package for my shortest upcoming cruise (4 night Bahamas cruise next April) and it was $360 CDN. Yeah that's a no. I'd like to try it one day but I'll have to figure it out when they have a good sale. The buy 1 get 1 50% off doesn't work for me as I mostly travel solo.

I absolutely see your point. We're on a 7-night to the Bahamas from NY so we're at sea two full days each way. It came to about $390 USD. That's why we're trying it. More time on the ship.

The buy 1 get 1 50% off doesn't work for me as I mostly travel solo.

Have you tried putting it in your cart to see if a discount is applied? I am solo on Mariner tomorrow and bought the package during the bogo50 and it gave me 25% off.

That pricing or 50% off just ends up being 25% off per person.

We will also be buying a package for the first time for our upcoming cruise. I will definitely try out some drinks for the first time since they've already been paid for an if I don't like them I won't feel compelled to finish them.

Just something i wish I knew BEFORE I bought package.

We had the same idea, wanted to try drinks i had heard of

Some i hated and wanted to order something else right away

I servers would circle the room , avoided me ???

When I finally got one to come over

"NO I'm not complaining about the drink, i would just like to order another different drink" (assuming they'd be happy with another tip from another drink)

WRONG

Rude looks and unhappiness from them

>> come to find out, they were unhappy because.. weather I ordered 1 drink or 10 ...they ALREADY got their 18% when the package was purchased

Additional cash tips DIDN'T help

I will never buy one again.

"NO I'm not complaining about the drink, i would just like to order another different drink" (assuming they'd be happy with another tip from another drink)

WRONG

>> come to find out, they were unhappy because.. weather I ordered 1 drink or 10 ...they ALREADY got their 18% when the package was purchased

That is completely opposite of our experience. Multiple bar tenders on our recent Oasis trip (and Allure 2 yrs ago) would tell us to order to try. No big deal because we had the package. But we also added extra cash tip when we were doing a lot of "trying".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Bill

I agree with you, if there are a lot of port days, we probably wouldn't do a package either. More beneficial the more time you spend on the ship.

WRONG

That's unfortunate. I would do my experimenting at a bar though, if I am at the pool or a show and want a drink I'll order one that I know I like.

I agree with you, if there are a lot of port days, we probably wouldn't do a package either. More beneficial the more time you spend on the ship.

We also take into account how long we plan to be in port at each stop. Most of the time we go ashore with our excursion then it's right back on the ship, usually several hours before sail away (and even if we don't feel like drinking an alcoholic beverage the other options do count toward the total).

We also take into account how long we plan to be in port at each stop. Most of the time we go ashore with our excursion then it's right back on the ship, usually several hours before sail away (and even if we don't feel like drinking an alcoholic beverage the other options do count toward the total).

That's another reason I chose the beverage package this time. We're only in three ports and we'll probably only get off in Nassau and just for a few hours. No plans for Coco Cay or Port Canaveral.

We always get drink package , normally have wine with lunch and dinner, most of the wines we like are a few dollars over limit, so we just pay those few dollars and tip on that, most drinks will be covered on last cruise 18 year old Chevis regal was included

I like the convenience of having the package too and always tip the server for bringing me a drink. A tip would be to stop at the nearest bar on your way to dinner and take your drink of choice into the dining room with you, then order another one right away, as we've noticed, when you give them your card or they see you have the package, it seems to take them a lot longer to retrieve your drinks, so be prepared to wait.:rolleyes: Yes, I know they are usually very busy, so that's why we take a drink with us to dinner.

That's another reason I chose the beverage package this time. We're only in three ports and we'll probably only get off in Nassau and just for a few hours. No plans for Coco Cay or Port Canaveral.
And if you do get off in Coco Cay your package works there too! Just like a sea day.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

And if you do get off in Coco Cay your package works there too! Just like a sea day.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Excellent point, Carnival's drink package doesn't work on their private island so I hadn't thought about that (Carnival limits you to 15 alcoholic drinks a day and there is no instant connectivity between the island and the ship is what I believe is the reason for that).