Who has done the Berlin train trip?

I think we want to do the 12 hr cruise excursion from Warmunde/Rostock to Berlin. As the cruise ship lists at approx $300 pp incl train, guide and lunch - is it a good value? We don't want to drive and like the idea of traveling by train. Do they give you any info heading into Berlin or does the "tour" start only once you are off the train? Your past experience would be a great help!!

Have you checked here already?

Too much!!!

300 USD???

The train tickets are

only 30 EUR (pp based on party of 2) or 12 EUR (pp / party of 5) (Mini-Group-Ticket) on weekdays

only 15 EUR (pp based on party of 2) or 6 EUR (pp / party of 5) on weekend

A local guide is about 30-40 EUR/hour.

A lunch in Germany - average 20 EUR pp.

Now calculate yourself!

Regards,

HeinBloed

I think one of the reasons that it's so expensive--and believe me I'm not trying to defend the cruise lines because I have a strong aversion to ship's excursions--is that the cruise lines charter a train for their passengers. There's usually a "Berlin on your own" option that is less expensive, and another alternative would be to do that and then use the hop-on/hop-off bus after you get there. But be warned that on one of my sailings, the cruise line changed the departure station during the day, and it was a mess! I have no idea why that happened, but I heard that the guides were looking for independent passengers during the day to advise them. I didn't hear of anyone being left behind, but some passengers panicked and were so peeved.

As HeinBloed said, the cruise line option is not a good value, but you wouldn't believe how many passengers go on this excursion. In addition to HeinBloed's notes on taking the public trains independently, I think a better option to the ship's tour is a private guide (search this board for referrals) or saving Berlin for a ground trip. We stayed there 3 days on a ground trip and just scratched the surface. If you decide to save Berlin for another trip, there are some great options for day tours from Rostock and Warnemunde.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Hi All (and Heinbloed) --

DH and I are now thinking of doing Berlin on our own when we arrive to Warnemunde on May 7. Heinbloed - I saw your post on another site with regard to the Lander Ticket. Is it really true that the cost for the ticket from Warnemunde to Berlin is only 33 Euro pp if traveling with my husband AND this is a round trip ticket for the day? My understanding is that the Lander Ticket is unlimited for the day hence round trip is covered. If this is accurate, do you suggest I buy the ticket online or is there a risk of long lines at the train station in Warnemunde upon disembarking (as this is my first time on a cruise so i'm not sure how smoothly it all goes) so that it may take some time to use the automatic machines? (and I do realize the Ticket Shop to purchase the Lander ticket online is in German language but I can work through that).

Is the Rail Lander Ticket good for use on the subway in Berlin?

Sorry for all the questions. The last time I was in Berlin was 10 yrs ago, and it was enroute from Geneva to Warsaw using my EuroRail, so I have no clue what is the best value using the German rail tickets.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I saw your post on another site with regard to the Lander Ticket. Is it really true that the cost for the ticket from Warnemunde to Berlin is only 33 Euro pp if traveling with my husband AND this is a round trip ticket for the day?

Good Morning from Germany!

No - sorry - but as May 7 is a Monday unfortunately you need to have

2 Länder-Tickets to cover the whole way from Warnemünde to Berlin:

1 Länder-Ticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern 24 EUR (from the machine/26 EUR from the counter)

1 Länder-Ticket Brandenburg-Berlin 26 EUR (from the machine/28 EUR from the counter)

So it's 50 EUR - but you and your DH can invite another 3 cruise-fellows to join you free of charge. The ticket is valid for 5 persons!!!

If you buy regular tickets to Berlin it's about 67 EUR-79 EUR pp depends to the routing!

My understanding is that the Lander Ticket is unlimited for the day hence round trip is covered.

No - on weekdays from 9 am to 3 am of the next day - i. e. max. 18 hours on weekdays.

But within the 18 hours unlimited travel with the states of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Brandenburg and Berlin.

If this is accurate, do you suggest I buy the ticket online or is there a risk of long lines at the train station in Warnemunde upon disembarking (as this is my first time on a cruise so i'm not sure how smoothly it all goes) so that it may take some time to use the automatic machines? (and I do realize the Ticket Shop to purchase the Lander ticket online is in German language but I can work through that).

Here are instructions to use the machine:

http://home.arcor.de/Yao/DB-Ticket-Machine.pdf

If you follow them it would not take you more than 2 minutes to buy one of the tickets.

Now let's face about the time.

According to Schedule to you should arrive by 7 am and should leave 9 pm.

Unfortunately you are coming from Dover which is a NON-SCHENGEN country, i. e. immigration for all entering the SCHENGEN-Zone.

Hbf = stands for Hauptbahnhof (Central Station)

To be realistic:

8.37 hrs dep Warnemünde track 4

8.58 hrs arr Rostock Hbf track 1

9.08 hrs dep Rostock Hbf track 6

10.10 hrs arr Schwerin Hbf track 4a

10.14 hrs dep Schwerin Hbf track 3

12.36 hrs arr Berlin Hbf track 1

Footnote (1)

To be optimistic:

8.02 hrs dep Warnemünde track 4

8.23 hrs arr Rostock Hbf track 2

8.33 hrs dep Rostock Hbf track 7

11.16 hrs arr Berlin Hbf track 1

Footnote (2)

To be pessemistic:

10.07 hrs dep Warnemünde track 4

10.28 hrs arr Rostock Hbf track 2

10.33 hrs dep Rostock Hbf track 7

13.16 hrs arr Berlin Hbf track 1

Your return:

16.41 hrs dep Berlin Hbf track 6

19.24 hrs arr Rostock Hbf track 7

19.31 hrs dep Berlin Hbf track 2

19.51 hrs arr Warnemünde track 3

Footnote (1): as it is Monday and your ticket is valid after 9 am you need a ticket to cover the time until 9.00 am.

You need to buy an additional local ticket to cover a ticket of

Verkehrsverbund Warnow

Einzelfahrkarte Gesamt VVW

(Single Ticket Entire Network VVW)

each 5.20 EUR

Footnote (2): as it is Monday and your ticket is valid after 9 am you need a ticket to cover the time until 9.00 am.

You need to buy an additional local ticket to cover a ticket of

Verkehrsverbund Warnow

Einzelfahrkarte Rostock

(Single Ticket Rostock)

each 1.60 EUR

What I can offer you:

If you are 100% sure (!!!) that you will go and you will not feel save to buy the tickets from the machine:

As I am on NORWEGIAN DREAM from May 3-5 (!!! = day of your embarquement in Dover!!!) I can buy you the tickets and have the Ländertickets already in your pocket. You only need to buy the local tickets if apply!!!

If you like this solution you should contact me at:

CRUISECRITIC (at) nickname-onboard dot de

(Please replace my nickname by my nickname used in the forum).

Is the Rail Lander Ticket good for use on the subway in Berlin?

No - the use is limited to railways only - i. e. no Subway (in Berlin "U-Bahn", all lines starting with U (like U1 to U12) - white letter U on blue square), no buses and no (surface) trams...

BUT have a look here:

http://www.s-bahn-berlin.de/englisch/sehenswuerdig/index.htm

The S-Bahn is Berlin's commuter trains. You can easily identify them as S1 to S75 trains = white letter S on green circle).

And if you see the map: The S-train is connecting on a East-West-axle all attractions between the former East and West Berlin and especially all attractions on the East Berlin (today historical city) part incl. the long-distance train stations like Berlin Hbf (Central Station) - your terminal to/from Rostock!

As the S-Bahn is operated by the German Railways your ticket is valid on these trains!

Sorry for all the questions.

Why sorry??? There is no reason for excuse. The reason why such forums exist is the exchange of knowledge!!! So there are no stupid or unvaluable questions - only stupid or unvaluable answers!!!

The last time I was in Berlin was 10 yrs ago, and it was enroute from Geneva to Warsaw using my EuroRail, so I have no clue what is the best value using the German rail tickets.

Eurail-tickets will be to expensive for such a short distance travel. But then you have experienced already on the East-West-Axle and know the attractions which are connected by the S-trains.

For you S5, S7, S9, S75 will be the most important S-train lines. They are operating abt. every 5 minutes to connect the sights and the Central Station.

Have a great day in Berlin,

have a great time on NORWEGIAN DREAM - I hope to return her to you safe and complete!!!

And of course

WILLKOMMEN IN DEUTSCHLAND - welcome to Germany!

Regards,

HeinBloed

We are thinking of taking one of the shore excursions offered by Celebrity into Berlin. We take a mix of private, on our own, and ship sponsored excursions while cruising. We are leaning toward a ship sponsored on in Warmunde.

I am wondering about the general comfort of the train from Warmunde into Berlin. Are the seats on the train bench type seats are upholstered with a back? (similar to airline seats and/or Amtrak). I sometimes have back problems and am not sure if I could handle 3 hours in to and back from Berlin if the seats are uncomfortable. Also, are snacks and beverages available for purchase?

I understand that the trains are not air-conditioned and am wondering how much of a factor that will be in mid-July? Is it quite warm on the trains? Also, is smoking allowed? We are non-smokers and would be bothered by smoke on the train.

Finally, is the ride from Warmunde into Berlin scenic, as far as the countryside?

Heinbloed- You are a wealth of information. I have read several of your posts. Thank you for taking the time to post so much valuable information ...you are a gem!!

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Nancy

FOR ALL CRUISERS GOING TO BERLIN...

THIS IS BERLIN' NEWEST ATTRACTION AND ONLY AVAILABLE IN SUMMER 2007:

CLICK HERE TO MEET KNUT.

I am wondering about the general comfort of the train from Warmunde into Berlin. Are the seats on the train bench type seats are upholstered with a back? (similar to airline seats and/or Amtrak).

Normally on the route Berlin - Rostock the German Railways provided the newest double decker cars - with double seats face to face. I like them as they are very comfortable.

Have a look here:

http://www.bombardier.de/index.jsp?id=1_0&lang=en&file=/en/1_0/1_1/1_1_3_2_5_1.jsp

There you see 2 pictures of the trains used for the Rostock traffic.

BUT IT COULD BE SOMETIMES THAT DUE TO SHORTAGE OLDER CARS ARE USED. BUT THIS SHOULD BE THE EXCEPTION!

I sometimes have back problems and am not sure if I could handle 3 hours in to and back from Berlin if the seats are uncomfortable.

I do not think that you will feel uncomfortable. Some passengers prefers to stay in the multi-use compartment as they have a lot of legroom (if there are not too many bikes or buggies...)

Also, are snacks and beverages available for purchase?

Subject the new cars are on your trains there should be a vending machine for hot and cold beverages and small snacks. But to be sure buy some in the station.

I understand that the trains are not air-conditioned and am wondering how much of a factor that will be in mid-July? Is it quite warm on the trains?

Subject you have the new cars: there is an air-condition inside.

Also, is smoking allowed? We are non-smokers and would be bothered by smoke on the train.

In some Federal state you are not allowed anymore to smoke in the regional trains. I am not sure for Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Brandenburg and Berlin... but even: seperate decks and cars for smokers non-smokers. Just follow the signs.

Finally, is the ride from Warmunde into Berlin scenic, as far as the countryside?

Definately yes: You are going through the so-called Havelland.

Some impressions you find here:

http://www.brandenburg-tourism.com/pages/landscapes.html

Finally: thanks for your compliments and WILLKOMMEN IN DEUTSCHLAND - welcome to Germany!

Have a great trip on your cruise and to Berlin!

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed: I continue to be delighted and astounded by the depth of your knowledge, and by your willingness to provide detailed help to fellow CC'ers. Many thanks!

Now a question:

Unfortunately you are coming from Dover which is a NON-SCHENGEN country, i. e. immigration for all entering the SCHENGEN-Zone.

What counts as a "coming from a SCHENGEN country"? My wife and I will be on the June 2 departure from Dover of the Constellation. Before we dock in Warnemunde, we will have visited Oslo, Copenhagen, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm. Will we too need to go through immigration for the SCHENGEN-Zone? And if so, do you expect that we should allow 1.5 hours between docking and boarding the train to Berlin?

--Marne

What counts as a "coming from a SCHENGEN country"? My wife and I will be on the June 2 departure from Dover of the Constellation. Before we dock in Warnemunde, we will have visited Oslo, Copenhagen, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm. Will we too need to go through immigration for the SCHENGEN-Zone? And if so, do you expect that we should allow 1.5 hours between docking and boarding the train to Berlin?

Dover, England EU Non-Schengen

Oslo, Norway Non-EU Schengen

Copenhagen, Denmark EU Schengen

Tallinn, Estonia EU Non-Schengen

St. Petersburg, Russia Non-EU Non-Schengen

Helsinki, Finland EU Schengen

Warnemünde, Germany EU Schengen

Helsingborg, Sweden EU Schengen

Dover, England EU Non-Schengen

Let's make it simple: if the colour does not change you can expect smooth treatment and fast disembarquement.

e.g. section Helsinki - Warnemünde - Helsingborg

As all three are EU and Schengen there should be no big custom's and no big immigration's prodecures.

From blue to orange: customs and immigration required (change EU to Non-EU and change from Non-Schengen to Schengen)

From orange to green: customs required (change Non-EU to EU)

From green to blue: immigration required (change Schengen to Non-Schengen)

From blue to red: customs and immigration required (leaving EU to third country)

From red to green: customs and immigration required (entering EU and Schengen from third country)

From green to blue: immigration required (change Schengen to Non-Schengen)

St. Petersburg will be desaster and compared to all other ports the "hardest" port to leave the ship.

The only EU-place you should expect possible delays is Helsinki when you are re-entering the EU. But the Finnish customs and immigration is very efficient and smooth. I do not think that 1.5 hours will be necessary in Warnemünde!

So these are potential risks you should think about when you are planning individual tours!!! Normally you will not remark it expect St. Petersburg. It could be that due to G8 Germany will suspend the Schengen Membership during or around G8-summit. But your itinery are made so you are after the G8-summit in Warnemünde.

When your passports returns you can see.

Normally there should be stamps in your passports:

Dover (embarquement)

Oslo (entering Schengen)

Tallinn (leaving Schengen)

St. Petersburg (ship's VISA stamp)

Helsinki (re-entering Schengen)

Helsingborg (leaving Schengen)

Dover (disembarquement)

Good iitinery!!!

Have a nice cruise and WILLKOMMEN IN DEUTSCHLAND - Welcome to Germany

Regards,

HeinBloed

When your passports returns you can see.

Normally there should be stamps in your passports:

I did a Baltic cruise in 2005 (Copenhagen, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Warnemünde/Rostock, Stockholm, Visby, Århus, Copenhagen). We did not have to go through immigration in any of these ports (except St. Petersburg, of course, and the usual procedure you go through before boarding the ship) and after the cruise there weren't any extra stamps in my passport (except Russia).

In St. Petersburg it took maybe half an hour or so, it wasn't really that bad. It just depends on how many people are in front of you, the length of the queue, immigration itself was easy (by the way, we didn’t go on a ship's tour, had documention provided by DenRus).

The only place somebody actually wanted to see an official document was Warnemünde (since I always carry my identity card around anyway it wasn't a problem), but everyone was just waved through, they didn't even really look at it.

So while HeinBloed's information is essentially correct don't worry about it when you go on a cruise. Leaving the ship for the day is as easy as in any other port on other cruises.

Just to clarify:

you do not go YOURSELF through immigration - except St. Petersburg.

But anyhow: the immigration and customs come onboard and your passports are normally kept with the purser.

All are done by the ship in the background!!!

But anyhow this takes time: and if you know this you can calculate that you might need some extra time before you can leave the ship!

Once we had was entering from an non EU-port non-Schengen-port to an EU-port in the Schengen zone:

All EU-citizens can go immediately from board and start their individual shore excursions

while

all Non-EU-citizens must wait until the passports are stamped returned to the purser.

That's why you should know what happen in the background!

Regards,

HeinBloed

All EU-citizens can go immediately from board and start their individual shore excursions

while

all Non-EU-citizens must wait until the passports are stamped returned to the purser.

That's why you should know what happen in the background!

EU and non-EU passengers were treated exactly the same when I did the Baltic cruise, once the ship was cleared everybody could leave at the same time. Maybe procedure depends on the cruise line or where the majority of the passengers is from.

Regarding stamps in passports: Neither EU citizens nor non-EU citizens got any, I know from some Americans that they were disappointed. They really wanted to have their passports stamped.

Since I spent most of my time with Americans it wouldn't have made a difference anyway that I’m a EU-citizen. Even if I could have left the ship I would’ve had to wait for the others.

As my parents are non-EU-citizens while I am EU-citizen:

we had for my parents all stamps according to Schengen-rules.

Exactly all places leaving and entering the Schengen-countries.

And as I did not want to leave earlier than my parents I know that we were already allowed to leave while my parents have to wait with all other Non-EU-citizens before the passports were returned to the purser's office.

If the local authorities decide to do it quickly or does not see any need to stamp the passports its their decision and you can go quicker from the board.

All I wanted to say is: if you book your individual tours and e. g. you are planning to catch an early train to meet your guide: just know that it can happen that it might take some more time depending from where you are coming from and which nationality you have.

IT CAN TAKE SOME MORE TIME BEFORE THE SHIP IS CLEARED AND RELEASED FROM THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES.

As EU-citizen - your passport will never be stamped as the stamps is only important to proove the entry/exit to/from Schengen- or individual countries. As EU-citizen you can move around the EU without visa - therefore no need to proof your date of entry.

Non EU-citizen normally must proof their date of entry into the individual coutries outside Schengen and once they are enter the Schengen Zone.

As Non-EU-citizen WITHOUT VISA (like US- or Canadian Citizens):

can enter Schengen-countries for max. 3 monthes within a 6-monthes-period.

As Non-EU-citizen WITH TOURIST-VISA:

can enter Schengen-countries for max. 3 monthes.

To proof these entry days officially the passports need to be stamped.

If the local authorities just do not do it - then they should be happy i/o disappointed as the 3 monthes has not started to count!

And if you are lucky and all exits are also stamped correctly according to Schengen-rules you are lucky that these days outside Schengen are NOT counted to the 3-month-period and you can stay legally longer in the Schengen-countries.

But anyhow within Schengen-countries it's so smooth.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Regarding stamps in passports: Neither EU citizens nor non-EU citizens got any, I know from some Americans that they were disappointed. They really wanted to have their passports stamped.
I don't know this from any official basis, but I have a lurking suspicion that it depends on whether you are properly entering the Schengen area or merely transiting.

I believe that for immigration purposes, cruise passengers are often treated as transit passengers at intermediate stops. Many people will be familiar with the procedure at airports, where a transit passenger coming from one international destination and going to another (eg if flying Miami-London-Hong Kong) will never cross the immigration border and therefore never have a stamp put in their passport at the airport (even though some people need a visa to do this).

IIRC, cruise passengers are often dealt with in the same way at intermediate calls, and are not treated as entering the country even though they are free to go ashore.

So this may mean that if you're on a Southampton-Amsterdam-Le Havre-Southampton cruise, there is no passport stamp because you're only transiting the Schengen area. But if you're on a Southampton-Amsterdam-Copenhagen cruise and disembarking in Copenhagen, you're formally entering the Schengen area because you're disembarking inside it, having started your journey outside it. And it may be that in those circumstances, passports have to be stamped to show when you entered the Schengen area.

Of course, we all know that passport stamping can be a bit haphazard. Paris, for example, often blatantly ignores the requirement, causing difficulties for those passengers later when someone asks for evidence of how long they've been inside the Schengen area.

Back to the questions of the comfort in German regional trains as used enroute from Rostock to Berlin.

If you are totally unlucky and due to shortage there could be single cases when old cars are used.

2Cloldup2-vi.jpg

Seats and legrooms look like this. Some seats are face to face others are like in a plane 2 by 2.

2Cloldup1-vi.jpg

People with preferece for extra legroom prefers to occupy such seats which are facing the opposite windows so you can stretch out as you like.

2ClNonSmk-vi.jpg

Here you can easily identify 2nd class cars - Non Smoker - Compartments for bikes which means all seats are faced to the opposite windows to have extra leg room.

DDnew-vi.jpg

What is also very important. 1st class compartments are not allowed when you are using Happy-Weekend (Schönes Wochenende) or Ländertickets. When you cannot show the conductor a proper 1st class ticket you might be fined with 60 EUR pp + standard fare from Warnemünde to Berlin which is about 50 EUR per route and person.

So you identify the 1st class section by the big "1" and the yellow strip indicating here is a 1st class section available.

As there are some more explainations to be continued but only 5 pics per posting allowed another posting will follow!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Mostly the new cars are used on Rostock - Berlin route as they allow a travel speed of 160 km/h (= 100 miles/hour).

2Clnewup1-vi.jpg

The seats close to the stairways are very popular as they allow extra leg room.

On the right you can see the signs for 2nd class - Non-Smoker - upstairs.

2Clnewup2-vi.jpg

The seats in the new cars a little bit closer. Hope your back can live with them.

2ClnewEmergency-vi.jpg

And one end of the car there are some seats in the entrance area which are for disables so they do not need to use the stairways.

They are also very popular for passengers who like extra leg room.

Trains without air-condition can be easily identify: you can open the windows while train with full air condition would not enable you to open the windows.

I hope you feel better informed before you decide to use the train of German Railways when you go to Berlin.

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed: Thank you mightily for your color-coded explanation of transiting immigration zones. As usual, you're a star!!!! Of course, now I have several more questions on this topic, but I'll spare you (and the readers) since they're of a curiosity nature only.

But I will ask one other question about travel train between Warnemunde and Berlin: What is the difference between first and second class? How much more does a 1st class ticket cost, and what advantages in compartment accomodations and service does 1st class offer?

--Marne

Of course, now I have several more questions on this topic, but I'll spare you (and the readers) since they're of a curiosity nature only.

HeinBloed is a "star" in German Children Television - and as popular as Kermit, Ernie or Bert in the US "Sesame Street".

HeinBloed is one who sees the world with his own naive eyes and had a total different view to the world and felt free to ask ALL question he has to discover the world - like children do it.

HeinBloed means translated "Henry" (= Hein = short form of Heinrich)" and "Stupid" - but he is a lovely person and I like him very much.

Therefore there are no stupid questions -

there are only stupid answers from people who might be bothered by "simple" questions - that's what adults call "arrogance and ignorance".

You will never see that HeinBloed will not respond to any question.

It's only that you might be surprised about the contents of the response.

See Rome thread: If someone is asking for the cost-effictive way to go to Rome I responded him to walk...

If you feel unfortable to post your question in this thread feel free to send me an e-mail:

EMailCC-vi.jpg

What is the difference between first and second class? How much more does a 1st class ticket cost, and what advantages in compartment accomodations and service does 1st class offer?

Have a look again to the double decker picture.

You see the upper level and through the window there is one of the seats.

You have a sheet on the head rest.

You have instead of 2-2 rows you have 2-1 rows which means that you have more space: wider seats and more legroom.

It's calmer...

No more service on regional trains. Only on long distance trains.

Now you better sit down and have a glass of brandy ready:

As no special offers like "Schönes-Wochenende"-Ticket or Länder-Tickets are permitted in the 1st class you can only buy standard tickets.

The minimum rate per person is 101 EUR to Berlin and back to Warnemünde.

Party of 2: 203 EUR.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed: Once again, many thanks! Now I understand your screen name, and 1st class trains.

About my unasked questions: I didn't ask them not because I thought you couldn't or wouldn't answer. I didn't ask those questions because they weren't relevant to the topic of this thread.

But, since you seem willing to talk about anything, I started a new thread in an appropriate location -- the Floataway Lounge! Here's a link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=536819

There we can happily discuss anything (cruise-related or not) without annoying the moderators or cc denizens who just want to learn about Baltic trains! (Of course, you'll have to endure another advertisement in the first post of the thread...)

--Marne

I started this post because my DH really wants to do the Berlin train trip. Neither of us speaks or reads German. I know I can probably find someone to eventually point me to the right train platform, however I don't want to wait hrs for the next train as I missed the one because I couldn't find the right platform.

Are there other reputable tour co.'s who will meet you at the boat in Warnemunde/Rostock and take you through from start to return?

All our other ports we will just do our our personal tours of the city with guide book in hand. However, doing this train thing on our own would have me a bit anxious.

I started this post because my DH really wants to do the Berlin train trip. Neither of us speaks or reads German. I know I can probably find someone to eventually point me to the right train platform, however I don't want to wait hrs for the next train as I missed the one because I couldn't find the right platform.

First of all: since Germany had the soccer world cup last years most of the train staff is trained to speak English and help.

Even the person you are talking now might not able to commincate with you someone around will always able to communicate with you.

Have you seen the first pages and the last pages of the Berlin-Guide?

The signage on German train stations is normally tri-lingual: German, English and French!

The operation of the ticket machines is normally also more than only in English. See here the buying instructions.

German Railways has a great punctuality.

The difference between AMTRAK and German Railways:

AMTRAK is operating on different lines within their networks single trains without connections to each others. Passenger trains do not have the same priority like in Germany. While in North America it can happen that you have to wait for some time before you can continue because a freight train has priority - in Germany it's just opposite: freight trains have to wait.

German Railways has a speciality:

The basic frequency is every two hours (a lot of routes one hour and less) - but to have a better connection they put connecting trains in between.

That's why your connection need an extra transfer in Schwerin.

But this is a system connection.

You arrive with the train from Rostock to Hamburg

arrives in Schwerin on minute 10 leaves on minute 19

You had to transfer to the train from Wismar to Berlin

arrives in Schwerin on minute 03 leaves on minute 14

Between minutes 10 and 14 both trains are at the same platform to exchange the passengers of each other - just opposite tracks (3 and 4) on same platform. You just leave your train and enter the opposite train!

Therefore with this system network connections the trains wait eachothers.

Are there other reputable tour co.'s who will meet you at the boat in Warnemunde/Rostock and take you through from start to return?

Yes - see the other postings if you search for "Berlin"

All our other ports we will just do our our personal tours of the city with guide book in hand. However, doing this train thing on our own would have me a bit anxious.

There is no reason - but I can understand.

What I can offer to avoid that you are anxious: send me an e-mail and I tell you my cell phone no. - anytime during your stay in Germany and you feel unsafe and uncomfortable feel free to call me and I will give you instructions what to do to get back to your ship at the right time!

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...
... and what advantages in compartment accomodations and service does 1st class offer?

Appendix to response to marne-c:

2007RE1stCl-vi.jpg

That's the first class car in the Regional trains like those to Berlin.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 3 weeks later...

To HeinBloed,

You certainly make going to Berlin from Warnnenmunde seem doable and affordable! I somehow can seem to access your instructions for purchasing these tickets from the machine. Do I use cash or credit card and is there a difference in cost if I buy the landerticket at the counter?

Cheers

Hello,

it's cheaper to buy the ticket at the machine.

But tell me when you want to go: which date and which ship.

It's a little complicated to cover the time until the Länderticket is valid.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We arrive in Warnemunde on May 31 (Thur.) at 7:00 on the NCL 's Dream and hope to make the trek into Berlin . The time frame seems a bit tight given the 6hr return to Warnemunde as the ship leaves at 9:00pm. Neverthe less we are game to see the city. Since my last post I was able to access your ticket buying instructions- thanks for those!

Do I understand correctly that I'll have to purchase 2 Lander tickets and one local ticket for the entire journey? We would like to be let off at the Zoo station in Berlin.

Cheers

Archived