Man Overboard!

JanineM

Having sailed on the Disney Magic, I would bet the rescued person was treated extremely well. Disney is a first class outfit when it comes to keeping passengers happy.

Rick

I know, that's what I mean how would they persuade him to get off- imagine how upset he would be to go back to the 'funship'!!!!

thinking about the Carnival overboards vs other lines ...

the rumors are that there are loud obnoxious drunks at all hours of the night, so maybe some of the overboards have to do with the normal decent cruisers having enuf of the idiots and tossing them over?

just a thought...

;)

You are right about one thing;)

thinking about the Carnival overboards vs other lines ...

the rumors are that there are loud obnoxious drunks at all hours of the night, so maybe some of the overboards have to do with the normal decent cruisers having enuf of the idiots and tossing them over?

just a thought...

;)

You may be on to something there.:D

I am of the opinion that if your not drunk off your A$$ or climbing on the balcony and messing around ...there is no way you can fall overboard. If your messing around and climbing over the rails and fall in, good for you...Grow up and things like this wont happen. !!

CNN is reporting that the man jumped overboard according to video from Carnival. He was taken to a local hospital for mental health evaluations.

Eric

The people who saw it say he jumped. :(

He is a "wacko" who changed his mind after landing in the water. :rolleyes:

I hope he gets help.

I'm confused as to where Carnival was during this. I would imagine it would be easier for them to find a man since, well, they were right there. But whatever.

Bravo to Disney! Amazing rescue :)

Much better article with a full detailing of the events that took place:

http://www.wesh.com/news/20701342/detail.html

Marissa, if you read this article, there is a comment posted at the bottom which may answer your question.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,546182,00.html

A man who police say intentionally jumped overboard from a cruise ship off Florida was rescued by another cruise ship.

The 34-year-old went overboard from the Carnival Sensation at 11:15 p.m. Wednesday about 30 miles off Port St. Lucie, according to the Coast Guard.

The Disney Wonder cruise ship was in the same area and joined the search, spotting the man about an hour-and-a-half later and bringing him on board using a rescue boat, according to Coast Guard Petty Officer Nick Ameen.

Ameen said he was "physically exhausted" but otherwise fine after treading water.

The Brevard County Sheriff’s Office said he intentionally jumped overboard, according to MyFOXOrlando.com.

The man was taken to a hospital for minor back injuries and also will receive a mental examination, the sheriff's office said.

Ameen said the two cruise ships were determining how to return him to the Sensation.

Messages left for Disney and Carnival cruise officials were not immediately returned.

Actually, the chart shows 17 overboards. They list RCI as Royal Caribbean International, and Freedom of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, Voyager of the Seas are listed as some of the ships. Not sure what they mean by RCCL.

Rick

RCCL is the parent company; Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara all fall under the RCCL umbrella. RCCL and Carnival Crop. do not have numbers listed on the link, because they are just listing them as parent companies and providing the numbers for their individual brands.

Here's another account of the tale:

http://www.smartbrief.com/news/asta/storyDetails.jsp?issueid=F15EBC84-0BA7-4FB7-B338-845C1353B3C6&copyid=BAB9E1E0-CCC0-4935-AAAC-E7FFDAEEAC09

A brief excerpt:

"Two things saved his life. He knew how to swim and hold on to hope, and he was wearing a white T-shirt beneath a full moon. The white T-shirt made it easier for them to see him," said Johnny Gonzalez of the U.S. Coast Guard in Miami."

Note to self: Always wear white when jumping off a cruise ship.

(but not before Memorial Day or after Labor Day)

:D

here's another account of the tale:

http://www.smartbrief.com/news/asta/storydetails.jsp?issueid=f15ebc84-0ba7-4fb7-b338-845c1353b3c6&copyid=bab9e1e0-ccc0-4935-aaac-e7ffdaeeac09

a brief excerpt:

"two things saved his life. He knew how to swim and hold on to hope, and he was wearing a white t-shirt beneath a full moon. The white t-shirt made it easier for them to see him," said johnny gonzalez of the u.s. Coast guard in miami."

note to self: Always wear white when jumping off a cruise ship.

(but not before memorial day or after labor day)

:d

lol!

a brief excerpt:

"two things saved his life. He knew how to swim and hold on to hope, and he was wearing a white t-shirt beneath a full moon. The white t-shirt made it easier for them to see him," said johnny gonzalez of the u.s. Coast guard in miami."

note to self: Always wear white when jumping off a cruise ship.

Isn't a fashion faux pas to wear white after labor day? I mean, this guy was covered, but after Monday, all bets are off.

Eric

Is Carnival THAT bad???????;)

Seriously,glad he was rescued.......

Hope I don't get flamed for this but I've always heard that Carnival was a "party" cruise line. I've never cruised with them so I have no idea as to whether this is true or not BUT I've talked with many who HAVE cruised with them (many only ONCE for this reason). I'm sure that isn't ALWAYS the case nor probably is it the case for every ship BUT assuming that people DO party a bit more that normal on that cruise line it is understandable why there are more overboard.

Archived