Man Overboard!

JanineM

My mother never said anything about wearing white after labor day, or when jumping off a perfectly good ship, but she did tell me to always wear clean underwear in case of an accident. Not sure why, maybe so I wouldn't embarrass her: "Ma'am, the entire surgical team worked on your son for 35 hours straight to re-attach all of his limbs. Fortunately, we didn't have to amputate his head after all. But, he was wearing dirty underwear. What kind of mother are you?"

Rick

I would think in case of an accident, clean underwear would be a moot point!!:D:eek:

Know what I mean????

ABC news reported that the man and a woman were arguing in their

stateroom. Reports were that the man threatened to jump and

the woman said "I dare you" and he jumped. She started screaming

and his screams could be heard as well.. Carnival radioed that there was a

man overboard and the Disney ship was close by and was able to

get him.

I saw him being wheeled off the ship when it arrived in Florida.

He is a very lucky guy....

ABC news reported that the man and a woman were arguing in their

stateroom. Reports were that the man threatened to jump and

the woman said "I dare you" and he jumped. She started screaming

and his screams could be heard as well.. Carnival radioed that there was a

man overboard and the Disney ship was close by and was able to

get him.

I saw him being wheeled off the ship when it arrived in Florida.

He is a very lucky guy....

Because Carnival didn't want him back???? ;)

RCCL is the parent company; Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara all fall under the RCCL umbrella. RCCL and Carnival Crop. do not have numbers listed on the link, because they are just listing them as parent companies and providing the numbers for their individual brands.

The parent company is 'Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.'

In Royal Caribbean's instance, they trade as 'Royal Caribbean International'.

I'm not sure how you derive RCCL from the name of the parent company.

It is not "Royal Caribbean International Cruise Lines" like many people think it is.

Regarding the subject matter; any person who "falls" from any cruise ship is an utter idiot in my opinion. Except if someone pushes / throws you overboard of course...

It is not "Royal Caribbean International Cruise Lines" like many people think it is.

Regarding the subject matter; any person who "falls" from any cruise ship is an utter idiot in my opinion. Except if someone pushes / throws you overboard of course...

Hmmmm?

Perhaps I am reading way too much into some of these posts, but I find it amazing that people can try to establish a link between Carnival's "atmosphere" and people going overboard.

Only on cruise critic.

Hmmmm?

Originally Posted by Philip_M_Nagel viewpost.gif

A limited company is a legal entity in itself and separate from the people who run it. Thus, the “Ltd” refers to the type of company, and not the company’s name. An abbreviation is derived from the name of the company.

Perhaps I am reading way too much into some of these posts, but I find it amazing that people can try to establish a link between Carnival's "atmosphere" and people going overboard.

Click this link and look at the numbers.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Overboard.html

The coorelation of the Carnival atmosphere is probably being made due to the fact that Carnival has the most Man Overboard cases....more than double the second leading line, which is RCI.

There's plenty to speculate, but why else would Carnival have so many more MOB cases than every else? They, alone, are almost equal to every other cruise line combined in MOB cases.

Only on cruise critic.

I do not know why its hard for you to figure out. Carnival cheap 3 /4 day booze cruise with a Jerry Springer type atmosphere. Disney-elegant, expensive white glove family atmosphere..hmm wonder which line would have the jumpers. The numbers speak for themselves. It wasnt a mistake the Wonder had her boats in the water and made the rescue. Did the Carnival ship figure out how to launch theirs or was it over before they had a chance?

After Monday the fashion police on board the ship would probably throw him back in the water for wearing white.

If it was a so-called formal night, they might also throw him back in if he was not dressed to their standards!;)

You just can't make this stuff up. Reported in today's SunSentinel, an article about the man overboard said that Carnival attempted to rescue the man themselves but failed. Seems they forgot to untie the lifeboat from the ship, it filled with water and tipped over. A second attempt was not made to the protest of many passangers onboard. Goofy to the rescue!!!

Carnival has more ships..more passengers...thus, more "overboards". It is simple numbers.

Glad this one had a good outcome.

I've been questioning the idea of Carnival having more passengers because they have more ships, so I finally got a chance to do all the math.

Current numbers:

Line Ships Tonnage Capacity(double) OBs(00-09) OBs(09)

CCL 22 1,930,658 52,398 38 8

RCCL 20 2,111,563 58,099 17 0

With current orders:

Line Ships Tonnage Capacity(double)

CCL 24 2,190,658 59,702

RCCL 22 2,561,563 68,899

Now obviously since I used all the current ships to calculate these numbers things are not accurate all the way back to 2000. Both lines have added larger ships and removed smaller ones, but it gives you an idea of the current numbers for 09 which can easily be compared to the OBs from 09.

Carnival has more ships..more passengers...thus, more "overboards". It is simple numbers.

Glad this one had a good outcome.

I've been questioning the idea of Carnival having more passengers because they have more ships, so I finally got a chance to do all the math.

attachment.php?attachmentid=130872&stc=1&d=1252070244

Now obviously since I used all the current ships to calculate these numbers things are not accurate all the way back to 2000. Both lines have added larger ships and removed smaller ones, but it gives you an idea of the current numbers for 09 which can easily be compared to the OBs from 09.

***Sorry for the duplicate but the numbers don't stay organized in the previous post and I could no longer upload attachments.***

1332530411_Screenshot2009-09-04at9_16_34AM.jpg.768ab6d433dc1b5cf7e4db04cd891f25.jpg

Wasn't it the rich elegant girl who tried to commit suicide in the movie Titanic?

Just saying... ;)

BTW, maybe OT, but I think this constant Carnival-bashing is getting a little out of hand. I already did one cruise with Carnival, an other one on Celebrity, and liked both just as much.

It's not like Carnival only has rowboats filled with booze :rolleyes:

It's just like here at work, I got my MBA at one school, and am always being bashed by someone who did it at another school.

Jeesh, just accept the fact that different people make different choices, don't make others feel bad about their choices.

OK, off soapbox now.

You still can't "FALL" overboard. You'd have to be standing on something..........the rail, a chair, something...........not just puking overboard.

WARNING: graphic imagery ahead

If it was relatively violent puking and she was leaning way over the rail, one major *gurge* could have propelled her off her feet and up and over the rail!

sure. it could happen like that.

Only on cruise critic.

Just for fun is all. They cultivated the Party Ship reputation so we'll use it to amuse ourselves.

I don't know why everyone is bashing Carnival. I can recall a few years ago some guy named Smith jumped off a RCCL ship in Greece to his death because he wasn't to happy with the cruise. So I believe this happens on every cruise line.

Wasn't it the rich elegant girl who tried to commit suicide in the movie Titanic?

Just saying... ;)

BTW, maybe OT, but I think this constant Carnival-bashing is getting a little out of hand. I already did one cruise with Carnival, an other one on Celebrity, and liked both just as much.

It's not like Carnival only has rowboats filled with booze :rolleyes:

It's just like here at work, I got my MBA at one school, and am always being bashed by someone who did it at another school.

Jeesh, just accept the fact that different people make different choices, don't make others feel bad about their choices.

OK, off soapbox now.

Here is a link for you and RCCLRules, maybe it will answer your questions.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/sfl-cruise-ship-jumper-090309,0,2882602.story

Based on this contradicting statement, time will tell how accurate this report is.

"Both the Carnival Sensation and the Disney Wonder sail out of Port Canaveral on Thursdays.

They were both returning from cruises that left Central Florida on Sunday."

But yea, Carnival has the most man overboards of any cruise line.

the Sensation leaves on thursday 3day cruise Disney leaves on sunday for 7 day cruise both ships return on sunday. Why is this a contradiction?

Archived