Man Overboard!

JanineM

The Coast Guard will "charge" any person who actually jumps off a cruise ship for the cost of the rescue.... even if they never made it to the area... and since the CG launched a helo and a boat the cost of this rescue is somewhat extreme. Now... if it is a true emergency and the rescue is at no fault of the person being rescued (for example, if they were on a boat, caught in a storm... etc).. then the cost is covered by good ole tax dollars. BUT... since he jumped and actually announced it prior to jumping... he's going to get a HUGE bill from the USofA.

Where did you get this info? The vast majority of search and rescue missions are preceded by some sort of misjudgment or stupidity on the part of the subject. I spent several years in the USCG and we never charged anyone a monetary fine unless it was an intentional false call for help.

Isn't anyone else wondering how he managed to jump off his balcony and not hit anything on his way down?!?!?!?!?

I've been on this ship, the balconies are stacked on top of one another. So it would be pretty easy to jump off the balcony and hit the water.

And believe me, after being on this ship and seeing others in port (we were docked next to Sovereign at one point) I had considered the possibility of jumping and swimming on over. :p

Carnival owns Cunard... Who knew?

Cunard... with the QE2 and QM2... it's very hoity-toity...

It's hard to equate.

Doesn't Carnival Corp also own Seabourne Cruiseline; I know they did at one time. Now THAT'S hoity-toity LOL. Guess Carnival Corp has a ship for every kind of cruiser!

Carol

They also own Princess and Holland America. ;)

He didn't "fall" off. He deliberately jumped during an arguement with his girlfriend. He told her he was going to jump and she said go ahead. What an idiot!

Well you must admit that he is a man of his word. :D Could be a first time for everything, ya think?

Where did you get this info? The vast majority of search and rescue missions are preceded by some sort of misjudgment or stupidity on the part of the subject. I spent several years in the USCG and we never charged anyone a monetary fine unless it was an intentional false call for help.

I would think the cost would be thousands if they chose to charge.I glad we have the Coast Guard to protect us no matter the reason.I'm glad that some of our tax dollars go to good use

:cj

I've been on this ship, the balconies are stacked on top of one another. So it would be pretty easy to jump off the balcony and hit the water.

And believe me, after being on this ship and seeing others in port (we were docked next to Sovereign at one point) I had considered the possibility of jumping and swimming on over. :p

After how many drinks?:p I could never think of jumping off the ship no matter how much I had to drink

I have never been on a cruise where they did not have a crew "drill" while the passengers were in port. If it did go down the way it was decribed here it is a very sad commentary as to the crew's state of preparedness. They had better step it up.

Kinda scary,eh

I was on a Carnival ship in May/June 2007.

Someone tried to cut their life short and jumped off the ship onfirst day of back to back sea days heading back to Florida. It made for an interesting dinner when the ship did a complete 180 degree turn and it looked like the boat was going to roll over. They ended up finding the person after about 2 hours and they ended up being led off in hand cuffs (I assume it was the same person anyway) when we arrived back at port. This was on a Carnival ship.

During the same week a drunk man got locked out of his room and tried to scale the side of a Royal Caribbean ship. He fell and they never found him. They ended up missing our first day off the ship in either St Thomas or St Marteen.

This was my first cruise, too! What are the chances?

I would think the cost would be thousands if they chose to charge.I glad we have the Coast Guard to protect us no matter the reason.I'm glad that some of our tax dollars go to good use

You are correct. In cases of false Maydays, USCG will charge everything from cost of fuel, calculated man hours, engine hours, and even an estimated percentage of the monthly phone bill. Basically, they apply a charge to every single asset and item used. Shooting off a flare on July 4 or calling Mayday on the radio just to do a radio check can easily cost over $10,000.

There is also a criminal charge to this. A few months ago, a financial adviser faked his death by crashing his airplane (Marcus Schrenker). He was arrested by USCG (CGIS) for creating a false distress in the Gulf of Mexico.

Archived