The Love Boat ~ The Next Generation

FoghornLeghorn

Okay, I just finished watching the Biography Channel's special on The Love Boat. Brought back a lot of memories. I wasn't cruising back then, but I remember it made me want to cruise.

Wouldn't it be great if they brought that show back!

~ ~ Come on Princess, get on board... we are expecting you.... ~~

(think of the advertising alone)

If they did..........

Who would you like to see as the cast?

and what guest stars would be fun to watch come on board?

They did try to bring back the show in the late 90s, on UPN. Robert Urich was the captain, and it was set on the Sun Princess. It only lasted for about 2 seasons. It was fun to watch, but didn't have the same charm as the original. I'm not sure how the format would go over today (we like our has-been stars on reality tv today, not sitcoms), but I agree it would be a great advertising boon to Princess if it succeeded.

Here's a link to its IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0143050/

They did try to bring back the show in the late 90s, on UPN. Robert Urich was the captain, and it was set on the Sun Princess. It only lasted for about 2 seasons. It was fun to watch, but didn't have the same charm as the original. I'm not sure how the format would go over today (we like our has-been stars on reality tv today, not sitcoms), but I agree it would be a great advertising boon to Princess if it succeeded.

Reading your post made me remember that attempt at a new version for the show. Watched a couple episodes and I agree it didn't have the same charm....

Bob

I would like Jean Luc Pecard to be the captain.

Julia Child (or Meryl Streep) as chef. Julie can be her assistant.

Richard Simmons or Brett Favre as cruise director.

Tom Cruise as the bartender (he can be co-captain on his time off).

Jennifer Lopez as the room steward.

And ME as the first passenger!!!

On our our first Princess cruise last January I watched and fell asleep to "The Love Boat" every night when we came back to our cabin. Loved it then and I Still love watching it. Just makes me want to cruise more and more.:D

Anthony

I loved the Love Boat.

Was thinking, are celebrities ever spotted on real cruises?

Yes at times, our first Princess Cruise, actually our first cruise, Dennis Weaver was on just before he passed. Very nice man. He was doing a family thing.

Yes at times, our first Princess Cruise, actually our first cruise, Dennis Weaver was on just before he passed. Very nice man. He was doing a family thing.

When I am on a cruise I am so focused on what I'm doing and having fun, I would never know if a celebrity was on a ship. :)

They were showing all the old episodes on Sea Princess on the television in January.

I watched the reruns too when I woke up early on the CB in March, but I think they were just Season 1 episodes -- y'know, same as the DVD set they were selling in the store. ;) Still, it was a kick to see early appearances by then up-and-coming stars like John Ritter and Jaclyn Smith (TBH I never recognized most of the "has been" guests on that show, unless they were once big movie stars).

I would love to see the Love Boat come back, updated version. There isn't much on TV today that interests me. Seems all they have are reality shows and my DH and I just hate them. But we must be the minority as they keep having more of them.

I would like Jean Luc Pecard to be the captain.

Julia Child (or Meryl Streep) as chef. Julie can be her assistant.

Richard Simmons or Brett Favre as cruise director.

Tom Cruise as the bartender (he can be co-captain on his time off).

Jennifer Lopez as the room steward.

And ME as the first passenger!!!

Great idea! LOVE it!!!!!

Here's a place where you can watch old "Love Boat" episodes online:

http://www.tv.com/the-love-boat/show/517/summary.html

As a few have mentioned, I thought the series revival about ten years ago didn't have that charm of the original.

My sister used to date an actor/model who was an extra on the older version quite a bit. She would say he's on the next episode and I'll say, just to bug her, oh, who's he playing. She would reply, "the guy at the bar."

Also knew a guy who got a gig on one of the special episodes (that actually was filmed on a Med cruise). He was working as a temp secretary for our office for months. He didn't know until the show aired that he was going to be one of the "smiling faces" at the beginning. He was a really good temp.:)

I've got it! A "Love Boat" concept that would actually work in today's TV market:

"CSI: Love Boat" Inspectors Stubing and McCoy travel the high seas solving crimes aboard the glamorous "floating hotels" known as cruise ships. Ever wondered how passengers end up overboard? Stubing and McCoy get to the bottom (no pun intended) of each case. While on board, they also solve smaller subplot cases, such as who is behind the mysterious early-morning placement of towels and books on lounge chairs.

I've thought a 'dream episode' of "The Office" would be funny. Michael would fall asleep at his desk and dream his office staff was the crew of the Pacific Princess.

Michael = Capt. Stubing

Pam = Julie

Jim = Gopher

Stanely = Isacc

Dwight = Doc

Meredith = Vicky

and

Angela = Charo

The staff would then experience a laugh loaded high sea adventure. Great idea, right?

Just send me my million dollars.

We were on the Sun while they were filming the show. Every day, we got a letter from Aaron Spelling telling us where they were filming and how to dress if you wanted to be an extra in the show. They had drawings for really good prizes (camcorder, etc) if you participated. It was a lot of fun. We got to talk to and take pictures of the cast.

I remember watching the original Love Boat series back in the late 70's early 80's. I was a young 20 something woman and just dreamed of someday having the Love Boat experience. One day, I was visiting San Francisco with some friends. A Princess ship was in port (sorry...I cannot remember the name but it was one that was featured in the series). My friends and I were walking by the ship (enthralled and intriqued, of course) and gawking! I heard a female voice calling my name. It was a girl I had been friends with in high school - just a few years back. She was working on the ship in the gift shop and they were cruising to Alaska. She invited us on board (had to get guest passes and this was way before 9/11 so no security checks at all) and we went on board and had a drink. I have to be very honest here and say it was nothing like I expected after seeing the TV show! I remember being disappointed...but excited all at the same time. The ship and public rooms seemed very small and not quite as glamorous. I did take a copy of the "Princess Patter" and still have that somewhere in my old memories stuff. I looked at it about 10 years ago...it was just a one sheet...typewritten on both sides and very different from today's Patter. Although I was disappointed with my 1st cruise ship experience, I found that my first real voyage on the old Fair Princess many years later was a wonderful experience. We've since cruised on many Princess ships and have never been disappointed. On our June '09 cruise to Alsaka on the Golden, they were showing the old Love Boat series on our stateroom TVs. We had so much fun watching those. I agree... a new, updated version might be good for the cruise line and all those budding new cruisers out there.

I've got it! A "Love Boat" concept that would actually work in today's TV market:

"CSI: Love Boat" Inspectors Stubing and McCoy travel the high seas solving crimes aboard the glamorous "floating hotels" known as cruise ships. Ever wondered how passengers end up overboard? Stubing and McCoy get to the bottom (no pun intended) of each case. While on board, they also solve smaller subplot cases, such as who is behind the mysterious early-morning placement of towels and books on lounge chairs.

I've thought a 'dream episode' of "The Office" would be funny. Michael would fall asleep at his desk and dream his office staff was the crew of the Pacific Princess.

Michael = Capt. Stubing

Pam = Julie

Jim = Gopher

Stanely = Isacc

Dwight = Doc

Meredith = Vicky

and

Angela = Charo

The staff would then experience a laugh loaded high sea adventure. Great idea, right?

Just send me my million dollars.

:D I can just see Kelly Kapoor and Andy as the bickering couple coming on board, but they turn out to be international diamond theives.

Archived