Grand Cayman - snorkeling near ship

Lady Vidora

Hello all - DH and I want to do a snuba excursion to Singray City on our Carnival Cruise, but I see it's just a two-hour excursion. I noticed another excursion talked about snorkeling a "short walk from the pier". Does anyone know the name of this place? If we did the snuba, would there be someplace to go snorkeling for a while before we get back on the ship?

Thanks for your help. I haven't been to Grand Cayman before.

LV

It's about 15min walk. There's actually 2 piers where the tenders arrive--about 5min from each other--so it could be up to 20! You're actually in the downtown area so it's a nice walk with shops, restaurants, etc...

We were there last year and had a great time. It's basic but very nice. We saw many of fish including the famous tarpons:

Grand Cayman - Swimming with the Tarpons

They rent equipment and lockers (12x12in..very small!)

They have a nice restaurant next to it too.

Enjoy!

In regards to Eden Rock, it was a 10-15 minute slow walk for us on our 8/24/09 visit off of the Enchantment of the Seas...we crossed the street and walked along the storefronts to enjoy some of their A/C cooled air as it was HOT when we first started out walking along water side.

The Eden Rock sign wasn't up...when on the tender or on the pier, look to your right for the building with the the green tiled roof...that is actually the restuarant (Paradise) on the property.

We did indeed see the tarpons along with a bunch of other colorfull fish right from the stairs embedded in the coral, leading down to the water

Great photo op with cruise ships in the background

I have some photos at webshots (see signature below)

The Eden Rock sign wasn't up...when on the tender or on the pier, look to your right for the building with the the green tiled roof...that is actually the restuarant (Paradise) on the property.

To clarify, Eden Rock Dive Centre is just past the Paradise restaurant, about two more minutes' walk. It's two separate places, both with "Eden Rock" signs. As far as I can tell, both places rent snorkel gear and lockers, have ladders into the water and let you snorkel for free. The Dive Centre doesn't have a restaurant, though.

Sunset House and My Bar are a bit further along (away from the pier) than Paradise Restaurant/Eden Rock Dive Centre.

To clarify, Eden Rock Dive Centre is just past the Paradise restaurant, about two more minutes' walk. It's two separate places, both with "Eden Rock" signs. As far as I can tell, both places rent snorkel gear and lockers, have ladders into the water and let you snorkel for free. The Dive Centre doesn't have a restaurant, though.

Sunset House and My Bar are a bit further along (away from the pier) than Paradise Restaurant/Eden Rock Dive Centre.

Yep, my reference was in regards to 'Eden Rock' next to the Paradise Restaurant, not the Dive Center

And at this location, the 'Eden Rock' sign wasn't up on 8/24/09 when we were there...its possible they put it up again since, or maybe there is a dispute with the Eden Rock Dive Center that made them take it down?

And maybe someone can clarify this but at the non Dive Center location, I believe they will now make you rent at least a 'life jacket' to be able to go into the water (as per what our dinner mates told us who went snorkeling at Eden Rock (next to the restaurant))

Yes, be sure to look for the Eden Rock Dive Centre with the red slash. It's an easy walk from the ship. You can use your own equipment and just rent a locker, or you can rent whatever you need. You enter the water from a short ladder and the snorkeling is amazing. The water is so clear, I kept swimming farther and farther until I realized I was waaaaaayy out. Best part is it's free!!!

Yes, be sure to look for the Eden Rock Dive Centre with the red slash. It's an easy walk from the ship. You can use your own equipment and just rent a locker, or you can rent whatever you need. You enter the water from a short ladder and the snorkeling is amazing. The water is so clear, I kept swimming farther and farther until I realized I was waaaaaayy out. Best part is it's free!!!

What is the cost of rental equipment and cost of the locker?

A big recommendation: ask one of people working there to point out the buoys that mark the reef. You'll need to swim out 100 yards or so, but the swim isn't difficult and the reef you'll find there is much nicer than the fish you'll find closer to shore.

Our preference is to walk to the second establishment - Eden Rock Dive Center - the first is Paradise Restaurant. Some of the confusion on distance above relates to the fact that they rebuilt new tender docks a short distance to the north (opposite direction from Eden Rock) which increased the walking time about 5 minutes. We noticed this on our trip last March - which was our first time there in about 2 or 3 years. I don't' know if they ever use the older, closer, docks or not.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Deciding on whether to visit Eden Rock & 7 mile beach or just venture to Chankanaab Park for snorkeling/nice beach?

Appreciate your comments.

Also Eden Rock is not on 7 mile beach and there is not much snoreling on 7 mile beach - at least nothing near the quality you'll find elsewhere.

We generally prefer to do snorkeling at, or near, Eden Rock then have a nice lunch at a nearby restuarant before heading back.

Eden Rock is on Cayman Island, the other is Cozumel?? Is there a rest room and changing area ot Eden Rock. We are doing the submarine early in the morning, finishing our morning off with a nice swim would be great.:)

Rest room - yes - changing area I don't recall. But you can Google Eden Rock Dive Center in Cayman and there should be info on the site or a number to call. You might need to wear your suit in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any sand beach area at/near Eden Rock? Our group includes both people who want great snorkeling and people who just want their toes in the sand, and we want to stay together. Also, can anyone compare the snorkeling at Eden Rock vs. Cemetery Beach? Thanks!

Archived