A Question About Room Service

Bridge Maven

With all of our cruises we have never used room service, so I have no first hand knowledge about it. The only experience we have had with food brought to our cabin has been with the services provided by a butler in suites or a a cabin steward in concierge class. On Royal Caribbean we have also had a goodie platter brought to our cabin by the concierge since we are diamond members of their crown and anchor club.

If you order room service on Celebrity are you instructed to leave the tray in your room or in the hallway for room service to pick it up? I am curious because based on postings from other boards it appears that a number of different cruise lines instruct passengers to put it in the hall when they are done eating.

With all of our cruises we have never used room service, so I have no first hand knowledge about it. The only experience we have had with food brought to our cabin has been with the services provided by a butler in suites or a a cabin steward in concierge class. On Royal Caribbean we have also had a goodie platter brought to our cabin by the concierge since we are diamond members of their crown and anchor club.

If you order room service on Celebrity are you instructed to leave the tray in your room or in the hallway for room service to pick it up? I am curious because based on postings from other boards it appears that a number of different cruise lines instruct passengers to put it in the hall when they are done eating.

From our experience, we were asked to call when done. We'd leave it on the balcony and they'd come in and get it.

Our Room Steward would take it if breakfast wasn't cleaned up when he came in, but usually you call and they are there pretty quickly.

We never left it outside the room.

Denny

I definitely wouldn't leave it outside the room. While the hallways are comparable to those in hotels, hotels don't have occasional swaying (except during earthquakes I guess).

The first/last nights are the hardest to navigate the hallways because of luggage outside. I don't think they want to make that a daily thing.

Hi,

While I believe the official procedure is to leave it in the stateroom (that's what we've always done), usually on the coffee table, we always see trays sitting in the passageways.

I agree with Raudacruise that this can create problems. Bless you, Bridge Maven, for being one of our concientious fellow cruisers. :D

CM

I recently replayed a ship DVD from our first trip on the Infinity. It showed some of the security footage from the hallways. This thread reminded me of the scene where, late one night, a male passenger decides to put his room service tray out in the hallway, across from his door. His door closed, and locked, behind him, leaving him in the hallway...in his underwear....with no key!

From now on...trays stay in my cabin!

I don't remember seeing trays on the floor in the hallway during any of our X cruises. We just got home from an Alaska cruise and we had PLENTY of room service (I think we might order at least 2 times a day). A few times the person who brought the tray came back about an hour later and picked it up (not our steward) and sometimes we just left it on the balcony and it was all cleaned up when we got back to our cabin. I don't know who came to get it but I just blamed it on the little elves who always seem to have our cabin looking perfect when we return (why can't they come to my house!).

How much tip do you give the person delivering your room service order?:confused:

It depends how much you order; $2-$5 seems to be the going rate.

I apologize in advance as I am going to hijack a moment...

Just for perspective, the MDR wait staff suggested gratuity for Waiter and Assistant combined is $5.75 per day.

Food for thought.

Yikes! I don't think I've ever seen a tray in the hallway on a Celebrity ship. I agree, leave it in your stateroom.

Patty

Hi Patty, I have seen them, quite a few times actually:rolleyes:

Just because people put trays in the hallway doesn't make it right. The hallways are narrower than most hotel hallways. I agree with George & MaryBeth.

I definitely wouldn't leave it outside the room. While the hallways are comparable to those in hotels, hotels don't have occasional swaying (except during earthquakes I guess).

The first/last nights are the hardest to navigate the hallways because of luggage outside. I don't think they want to make that a daily thing.

Also, this is where you are living for the length of the cruise. Isn't it nice to walk around a nice clean ship! Do you put your garbage out at the curb as soon as the bag is full - even though pick up isn't for several days?

Archived