Taking your own tray to the HAL Lido Deck

sands28

Out of curiosity I wrote to HAL and asked if this is possible. Here is the reply I received:

"This might be a question about the trays that we would have to ask the ship specifically about if they would allow trays to be brought to the lido. If you can provide the ship and or booking number we can research this a bit further."

From the above it appears that there is no Corporate policy and it may even be different on the same ship at different times.

We did our first cruise on the Westerdam this past spring for 21 without trays -- had no problems.

We have no intention of packing opr taking our own trays.

We also learned to cope for 26 days on the Eurodam last month. I hear you about packing trays---I am packing for next week's cruise and I have one suitcase half full of junk and I haven't even started to pack clothing yet. Where does it stop?? It looks like another 4 suitcase trip. I think I need to go to packing boot camp if there is such a thing,;)

:)How fun. I really get it though. I am at a hospital every day and if I had alot of food, which I never do since I don't eat that much, I would need a tray. But, let's say you have a beverage, a salad, a main, dessert, and say, coffee, of course you would. I agree. Bring back the trays. I hate them; they are so high school, but yes, useful for many people.

Can we talk about smoking now? :)

I have not cruised since the no tray policy has started. While in the lido I have heard that it is not a big problem for most, however, very often on sea days I like to take lunch from the lido to my balcony and now I am thinking this will not be possible.

I was thinking of saving a tray from a room service order to use for this purpose, but then I think I may feel foolish being the only one with a tray in the lido.

Hardly the end of the world. I guess room service for luch instead will be the answer.

I wonder if there are staff in the Lido who would help you transport your lunch to your room?

I would say not, as those staff members already have quite enough on their plates, so to speak, in the Lido ... but room service always is an option.

:)How fun. I really get it though. I am at a hospital every day and if I had alot of food, which I never do since I don't eat that much, I would need a tray. But, let's say you have a beverage, a salad, a main, dessert, and say, coffee, of course you would. I agree. Bring back the trays. I hate them; they are so high school, but yes, useful for many people.

Can we talk about smoking now? :)

Right after we talk about travel irons:eek:

I was thinking of saving a tray from a room service order to use for this purpose, but then I think I may feel foolish being the only one with a tray in the lido.

I saved a room service tray when I was on the Veendam last February. Do know that they are larger and heavier than the ones that used to be available in the Lido. I was able to trade for the Lido-style trays.

Feel foolish??? :confused:

Original Poster, We took plates, not trays (remember no trays in the Lido) to the midship Lido pool without a problem. We just had more trips back to get extra food depending upon how hungry we were. Of course my mother always went back for her dessert.

We used room service often, usually for breakfast, and it was wonderful. I still chuckle remembering my interchanges over the phone with the person taking the order......just ordering my omelet & coffee it was like this: ma'am would you like bacon, sausage?, oh, yes, crispy bacon please, ma'am would you like toast?, yes, white please, ma'am for one?, yes, ma'am would you like butter?, yes, ma'am would you like jam, marmalade?, yes, orange marmalade please, ma'am would you like juice?, oh, yeah, I forgot, yes, grapefruit juice please, thank you! Is that all ma'am? Yes, thank you!

But, let's say you have a beverage, a salad, a main, dessert, and say, coffee, of course you would. I agree.

Just as an observation here, a coffee is a beverage, and nobody has to have their dessert staring them in the face when they are eating their salad. :) Since staff is able and willing to help folks that think they may have difficulty, and I have seen this in practice during numerous visits to the ships this summer, (and no I don't wander around the ship with a big corporate ID badge on my chest... I'm as incognito as anyone else) I can assure you that the concerns are a non issue

There are, see above post

The question posted was " are there staff in the LIDO who will transport your lunch back to your room."

I cannot imagine staff assigned to LIDO duty taking off to assist passengers who prefers to dine in their cabin.

The question posted was "are there staff in the LIDO who will transport your lunch back to your room."

I cannot imagine staff assigned to LIDO duty taking off to assist passengers prefers to dine in their cabin.

No I cannot imagine staff to do this either, however, the OP question was not "are there staff in the LIDO who will transport your lunch back to your room."

The OP question was about taking your own trays to the Lido decks, which I still think this is impractical...........I'd rather carry on my own wine or water than a cafeteria tray.

I have designed and built a custom fold up tray specifically for Lido dining.It folds down to 7" X 10"....about the size of a new 'netbook' computer. It comes in four designer high-gloss colours and has a built in ashtray in one corner.

I figure that handles the tray AND smoking issues adequately.

I have designed and built a custom fold up tray specifically for Lido dining.It folds down to 7" X 10"....about the size of a new 'netbook' computer. It comes in four designer high-gloss colours and has a built in ashtray in one corner.

I figure that handles the tray AND smoking issues adequately.

Can it core A apple?

Rich

We used room service often, usually for breakfast, and it was wonderful. I still chuckle remembering my interchanges over the phone with the person taking the order......just ordering my omelet & coffee it was like this: ma'am would you like bacon, sausage?, oh, yes, crispy bacon please, ma'am would you like toast?, yes, white please, ma'am for one?, yes, ma'am would you like butter?, yes, ma'am would you like jam, marmalade?, yes, orange marmalade please, ma'am would you like juice?, oh, yeah, I forgot, yes, grapefruit juice please, thank you! Is that all ma'am? Yes, thank you!

We had order forms to fill out the night before to indicate our choices.

We had order forms to fill out the night before to indicate our choices.

Oh, we had those also, but while you were pre-planning your breakfast the night before, I didn't care because don't eat breakfast. So when waking up realizing I was hungry and needed to eat, I ordered room service. Therefore my many colorful phone conversations with the room service staff. Guess it was all that wonderful sea air.........

Oh, we had those also, but while you were pre-planning your breakfast the night before, I didn't care because don't eat breakfast. So when waking up realizing I was hungry and needed to eat, I ordered room service. Therefore my many colorful phone conversations with the room service staff. Guess it was all that wonderful sea air.........

Okey dokey, I see. That's quite a conversation. :)

Archived