Splenda user's beware!

Luna'sMom

Just off the Explorer Bermuda run yesterday. I had the hardest time getting Splenda. The do have it but you practially have to beg for it, and at one point I was told in the Windjammer that they had "run out"...If you are a splenda user, bring you own, it is a lot easier than asking for it.I will write a review in the next couple of days, but on a scale of 1-10 it was a 5 at best!

Just off the Explorer Bermuda run yesterday. I had the hardest time getting Splenda. The do have it but you practially have to beg for it' date=' and at one point I was told in the Windjammer that they had "run out"...If you are a splenda user, bring you own, it is a lot easier than asking for it.I will write a review in the next couple of days, but on a scale of 1-10 it was a 5 at best![/quote']

I hope the lack of Splender was not what ruined a cruise. :confused:

The reason you have to ask for Splender is because passengers would grab a hand full and leave them un used on the tables. They can not be used after that and had to be thrown away. That can become quite costly, so blame it on the fellow passengers who wasted it all. I use it and I know how much it cost. :eek:

I carry the tablets with us on cruises. Much easier now to pop a couple in my pocket than go looking for it. ;)

It's been that way for a while. We had a hard time getting it on our Jan cruise.

I have noticed that on my last 3 RCCL cruises. You can find it but you must work for it and they do not leave it on the table. Honestly I think we know why, the stuff is pretty expensive.

We have never had a problem on the Explorer or any other RCCL ship. We make our preference known at the dinner table or when we use room service..and we always have been given it. If you have problems in the Windjammer you just ask one of the senior officers. We have always been given whatever we requested.

It is true that people that grab handfuls and then waste them make it bad for others. In our economy every little bit helps.

Just off the Explorer Bermuda run yesterday. I had the hardest time getting Splenda. The do have it but you practially have to beg for it' date=' and at one point I was told in the Windjammer that they had "run out"...If you are a splenda user, bring you own, it is a lot easier than asking for it.I will write a review in the next couple of days, but on a scale of 1-10 it was a 5 at best![/quote']

I was on the same cruise and I did hear people asking for it in the WJ, but it was always provided promptly by a staff member. Sorry you had this problem, but like others have said it's expensive and people waste a LOT.

We are Splendor users also and did not have a problem with getting it on either our Mariner of the Seas cruise two years ago or our Adventure of the Seas cruise this past August. We usually carry it with us anyway. Here in NYC you also have to ask for it in the majority of restaurants...maybe because it is more expensive than Equal and that dreaded Sweet'n Low. On our last cruise we just asked in the dinning room the first night and after that the assistant waiter brought it to us without asking. In the Windjammer and Portofino's no problem either.

Had no problems finding Splenda on our Jewel TA, but if we had, I would have accepted the Equal or Sweet &Low packets just as readily. Perhaps the growth in popularity of Splenda has something to do with the fact that it is sometimes not as easy to find or that they have trouble keeping it restocked. Does anyone have any figures which indicate the relative popularity of the three artificial sweetners?

Glad someone raised this issue which is certainly paramount in determining one's overall satisfaction with their cruise.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the reminder. I recall reading this sometime back but had forgotten about it. I'll need to add that to my packing list so I don't forget it. I can live with the others but much prefer Splenda. I'll hate carrying it around in my pocket but I'd hate having to always be asking for it and waiting even more.

I hope the lack of Splender was not what ruined a cruise. :confused:

The reason you have to ask for Splender is because passengers would grab a hand full and leave them un used on the tables. They can not be used after that and had to be thrown away. That can become quite costly, so blame it on the fellow passengers who wasted it all. I use it and I know how much it cost. :eek:

I carry the tablets with us on cruises. Much easier now to pop a couple in my pocket than go looking for it. ;)

Give me a break. Yeah, it's always passenger's fault..

We just back from Carnival (decided to stop being loyal to Royal) and there were tons of Splenda and sugar-free desserts available all the time.

On our 4 cruises on Explorer I asked many times why they can't provide ONE sugar-free dessert at breakfast. I wrote my concerns on comment cards, nothing. I heard many people who are diabetics like myself complained on Explorer about not having Splenda as a sugar substitute and sugar-free desserts at breakfast.Yes, I'm bringing Splenda with me now if I cruise with Royal Carribbean but I do not have to. Other lines somehow manage to do this right.

Yes, many people take more food that they need and there is a lot of waste. But I'm tired to be blamed as a passenger for anything that cruise company doesn't do right.

I always bring Splenda with me for convenience and because I saw a couple give their baby packets of sugar and the rest to "play " with while they ate. Of course they left them on the table when they left and the waitstaff put them back into the holder when clearing the table.

Ick!!!!:eek:

Give me a break. Yeah, it's always passenger's fault..

We just back from Carnival (decided to stop being loyal to Royal) and there were tons of Splenda and sugar-free desserts available all the time.

On our 4 cruises on Explorer I asked many times why they can't provide ONE sugar-free dessert at breakfast. I wrote my concerns on comment cards, nothing. I heard many people who are diabetics like myself complained on Explorer about not having Splenda as a sugar substitute and sugar-free desserts at breakfast.Yes, I'm bringing Splenda with me now if I cruise with Royal Carribbean but I do not have to. Other lines somehow manage to do this right.

Yes, many people take more food that they need and there is a lot of waste. But I'm tired to be blamed as a passenger for anything that cruise company doesn't do right.

Did I say that? Did I not say I also have to bring my own? Did I not say it was easier than looking for it?

I was told that about the waste by my waiter. Now I am going to assume that he knew more about why the Splender was not put out than you or I. He even told me where to find it on the ship I was on. :D

The topic was Splender packets and now you are yelling at me over no sugar free desserts for breakfast? Now I ask you? Give me a break!

Someone needs a cruise. Or a nap. ;)

Did I say that? Did I not say I also have to bring my own? Did I not say it was easier than looking for it?

I was told that about the waste by my waiter. Now I am going to assume that he knew more about why the Splender was not put out than you or I. He even told me where to find it on the ship I was on. :D

The topic was Splender packets and now you are yelling at me over no sugar free desserts for breakfast? Now I ask you? Give me a break!

Someone needs a cruise. Or a nap. ;)

Well said:):) And there is always some kind of fruit at breakfast. I've often seen sugar free desserts in the wj.

I suspect that theft is more of an issue than waste. I've watched people taking Splenda, tea & hot chocolate in

mass quantities and am sure that they're taking it home. :mad:

I have not yet had a problem getting Splenda on RCI or Carnival. However, in the future to be safe I may start bringing some with us.

However, about the comment above... I have grabbed a few Tea packets or Hot Chocolate to take back to the cabin with me. There is certainly no rule that says I cannot have tea or hot chocolate in my cabin. I would not necessarily assume that just because someone takes a few, that they plan to take them home and stock up their cabinets. :rolleyes: Seems like so many are quick to assume the worst.

Archived