Airfare costs rising??

I always book my air 8-10 months out. For this November, I am paying less than I've paid in 5 years. While the prices have been going up by as much as $250/person over what I paid, and down by no more than $20/person ... they haven't steadied out at that high end. At least, that's been my experience buying and watching American.

But, sometimes, the closer to departure date that you book air, the impact of supply and demand dictates the fares.

We're flying Southwest in November. It's one of the airlines that doesn't charge for the first two checked bags. Our flights cost a little bit more than when we flew to Fort Lauderdale in March because we're coming back the Sunday after Thanksgiving. They're cheaper than we paid last year to take a cruise in December and flew back home on Christmas Eve.

We just snagged RT tickets to FLL for $151 on Southwest for our pre X-mas cruise. Our Mex Riv flights (ORF-LAX) are running $237 RT on Delta for Spring Break next year. Even with baggage fees, it is still a great deal. I think a lot of it has to do with how far out you book your flights and the time of year you are traveling. I've also seen prices RT to Barcelona from the East Coast for $660 (IMO - unheard of!). I have no complaints.

A month or so ago, MIA-EZE roundtrip on AA for mid-January was $800+ pp. Now it is $1700+ pp. Yep, that's a sizable increase. I seriously considered cancelling cruise.

Out of curosity, I've been monitoring seat availability on the two non-stops, and there's still plenty of seats. Of course, we're still 3 months out.

Archived