Where's the Catch?

oldmovieguy

Hi Folks

We all met two years ago when my wife and our broke our duck and took our first cruise, much bouyed by the really good advice from you folks on here and had a blast on the 'Connie' New Year Cruise.

Reading through the travel section of our UK paper this morning, 'The Daily Telegraph', this caught my eye: Flying Virgin UPPER CLASS from London to New York, spending three night in New York for FREE in a 4 star hotel, though for £150 pp you can upgrade to the Waldorf Astoria, Cruise for 7 nights on the Holland America MS VEENDAM in a Verandaha Suite to St Georges Bermuda (overnight in port) then to Hamilton Bermuda (2 nights in port) then back to New York, with the return to London once more in Virgin UPPER CLASS. The asking price is £2499 which equates to $4068 per person at todays rate.

My point is having flown to Tokyo and back on Virgin Upper Class, in my opinion it is probably the best 'left turn' you can make on any aircraft but does not come cheap, hence my question, remembering that we also get three nights in NY at the Waldorf for £150 each ($244).

So, is there something about the cruise portion that we should be wary off? is it a 'staff training' cruise, are there enemy submarines reported, I'm sure you get my drift.

Any advice that you may care to impart will be much appreciated.

Regards

oldmovieguy

Hi Folks

We all met two years ago when my wife and our broke our duck and took our first cruise, much bouyed by the really good advice from you folks on here and had a blast on the 'Connie' New Year Cruise.

Reading through the travel section of our UK paper this morning, 'The Daily Telegraph', this caught my eye: Flying Virgin UPPER CLASS from London to New York, spending three night in New York for FREE in a 4 star hotel, though for £150 pp you can upgrade to the Waldorf Astoria, Cruise for 7 nights on the Holland America MS VEENDAM in a Verandaha Suite to St Georges Bermuda (overnight in port) then to Hamilton Bermuda (2 nights in port) then back to New York, with the return to London once more in Virgin UPPER CLASS. The asking price is £2499 which equates to $4068 per person at todays rate.

My point is having flown to Tokyo and back on Virgin Upper Class, in my opinion it is probably the best 'left turn' you can make on any aircraft but does not come cheap, hence my question, remembering that we also get three nights in NY at the Waldorf for £150 each ($244).

So, is there something about the cruise portion that we should be wary off? is it a 'staff training' cruise, are there enemy submarines reported, I'm sure you get my drift.

Any advice that you may care to impart will be much appreciated.

Regards

oldmovieguy

oldmovieguy, what date(s) is the offering for?? It could be during the height of Hurricane season, which starts June 1st and extends through November 30th for the Atlantic and Pacific, May through December for the Caribbean and or it just might be the economy and the airline, hotels and cruise line are trying to make a little cash during the 'hard times'??

Joanie

IMO, that is the 'buy of the year'. Grab it. HAL is starting this New York to Bermuda for the first time in many years spring 2010. Perhaps sales aren't as good as they hoped (I have no idea if that is the case or not) and they are making some good offers.

Don't be afraid to sail Veendam.... or any HAL ship for that matter.

Joanie/NPG/Sail7

Many thanks for the fast response.

Sailing date is August 29th 2010

Cabin is a Verandah Suite

Thanks for the info that this is a new cruise for HAL, could be useful.

OMG

You are quite welcome! And I'm with the others, GRAB IT and Have a DAM Blast!!!

Joanie

Joanie/NPG/Sail7

OMG

August 29th is approaching the height of the Atlantic hurricane season. Of late Bermuda has been a "target" or a "near target" a number of times. So, I'd say, it's a great deal if the weather cooperates and a real bummer if it doesn't. How much of a gambling man are you!?!?:p

FYI: my discount online travel agent usually offers the lowest prices for Holland America. Their price for a "BB" verandah suite guarantee is US$1758 pp (all taxes included) for the cruise portion.

Because the Holland America website quotes (for me) prices in Canadian dollars, I can't tell you what the "official" rate is, but it's around $2350-2400 pp with all taxes.

Veendam begins sailing that route in April, so be then the "rough edges" should be smooth.

Richwmn maintains a web list groups and charters on HAL ships. Nothing shows yet on that site http://www.wa70.com/hdisplay.php A Google search didn't show anything, either.

I can't think of a single reason not to book this!

Joanie/NPG/Sail7

OMG

The HAL site is currently showing a price of $1999 pp for a BB cabin (the lowest verandah class currently available for that sailing) so it looks like the flights and hotel is costing $2069 pp.

Once again you CCers have proved your worth, what a great site this is.

TexasTilly. I am a gambling man, Roulette is my game but I'm not a fan of your US 'zero, double zero'

I perfected a foolproof system for Roulette many years ago when I was a young man, got my folks to give me all their savings and took off for Monte Carlo. After a week at the tables I cabled them with the following: 'Dear Ma and Pa, Roulette system working perfectly, please send more money'.

The HAL site is currently showing a price of $1999 pp for a BB cabin (the lowest verandah class currently available for that sailing) so it looks like the flights and hotel is costing $2069 pp.

Thanks Cat331 for the *correct* HAL quote. I believe U.K. websites include taxes in their advertised quotes - in this cast those would be around $120 pp., to make it $2119 pp.

Good luck, oldmovieguy! Have a great time!

August 29th is approaching the height of the Atlantic hurricane season. Of late Bermuda has been a "target" or a "near target" a number of times. So, I'd say, it's a great deal if the weather cooperates and a real bummer if it doesn't. How much of a gambling man are you!?!?:p

Heck, I'd say hurricane season be dam'ed! Even if you never get off the ship, you're "stuck" in a verandah suite. Go for it!

I *think* it's a "verandah suite", not a "deluxe verandah suite", yotefan37.

So...this (from Dutch by Association's blog...)

verandahsuite.JPG

Not this:

img_deluxe_ver_ste.jpg

(And I see you edited...so, never mind! Maybe OP oldmovieguy will spot the pix, tho'.)

That's correct. We are booked in a BB for July 2010, and its not the true suite. I don't know why they call it a Verandah Suite. It looks like a stateroom. The other thing I would tell you is there are not many BB rooms, just a few at either ends of the ship.

I am sure its a legit offer, but you might want be cautious if they tell you they are out of BB rooms and try to upsell. If you look on the HAL site this morning you will see the BB at $2018pp (prices include taxes and fees, but no insurance), the BA at $2068, the B at $2118 and the S "Verandah Deluxe Suite" at $3018. so that should give you an idea of the price differences.

Good luck with the booking and the trip!

That's correct. We are booked in a BB for July 2010, and its not the true suite. I don't know why they call it a Verandah Suite. It looks like a stateroom. The other thing I would tell you is there are not many BB rooms, just a few at either ends of the ship.

I am sure its a legit offer, but you might want be cautious if they tell you they are out of BB rooms and try to upsell. If you look on the HAL site this morning you will see the BB at $2018pp (prices include taxes and fees, but no insurance), the BA at $2068, the B at $2118 and the S "Verandah Deluxe Suite" at $3018. so that should give you an idea of the price differences.

Good luck with the booking and the trip!

They call it a Verandah Suite because it has a verandah, i.e. a balcony, so it is a stateroom with a balcony. The offer for the OP is probably a guarantee cabin, and they will more than likely be upgraded within that category. It sounds like a great deal to me, however I'm not sure I'd like all those overnight stays in the ports.....and, yes there is that problem of hurricane season.

Five grand for 13 hours in the air, albeit with better nosh and booze, a stay in a hot NYC and a weeks cruise with a few days on land? I would rather make by own air arrangements and spend the remainder on more, or longer, or better cruises. If you like to pose and tell the people you know how clever you are to spot this "bargain", fine. After my experience with Branson to Vegas last year, I will do all I can to avoid them. Each to their own.

Five grand for 13 hours in the air, albeit with better nosh and booze, a stay in a hot NYC and a weeks cruise with a few days on land? I would rather make by own air arrangements and spend the remainder on more, or longer, or better cruises. If you like to pose and tell the people you know how clever you are to spot this "bargain", fine. After my experience with Branson to Vegas last year, I will do all I can to avoid them. Each to their own.

Lukewarm

I dont think it's a case of 'posing' to show how clever I am to spot this, it's more a case of not being very well versed in the ways of cruising and asking the good folk on this site for their advice and opinions, which they have done in their usual friendly and open way, you are the first 'jarring' note I have come across in my posts on this site, not that it bothers me one jot. That's the only downside of travelling first class as I've found over the years on the rare occassions that I've done it, you sometimes bump into people like you.

well said OMG! It is a bargain, and upperclass across the pond is always appreciated... NYC is wonderful ANYTIME of year, and you'll be able to catch a show, go to the museums, lunch in the park. Bermuda is wonderful! If you've never been you should go.

Lukewarm, my mama said "if you ain't got nothing nice to say boy, shut yer trap", and she is one smart lady. If you truely feel "to each thier own", why make snide comments? Very bad form.

I understand we each have had our own "bad" experiences, or can have a bad day now and again, saying things we wish we hadn't and so on. So apologize to OldMovieGuy. It's the proper thing to do.

Have a HAL of a good time, go on a cruise!

Statendam Panama Canal Oct 09

Eurodam Innaugural 20 days Baltic summer 08

Oosterdam Alaska summer 07

Noordam (best so far) Eastern Med summer 06

NCL Mexico summer 05

Windjammer, Caribbean/Mexico summer 1998

Carnival Festival, Caribbean summer 1980

well said OMG! It is a bargain, and upperclass across the pond is always appreciated... NYC is wonderful ANYTIME of year, and you'll be able to catch a show, go to the museums, lunch in the park. Bermuda is wonderful! If you've never been you should go.

Lukewarm, my mama said "if you ain't got nothing nice to say boy, shut yer trap", and she is one smart lady. If you truely feel "to each thier own", why make snide comments? Very bad form.

I understand we each have had our own "bad" experiences, or can have a bad day now and again, saying things we wish we hadn't and so on. So apologize to OldMovieGuy. It's the proper thing to do.

Have a HAL of a good time, go on a cruise!

Statendam Panama Canal Oct 09

Eurodam Innaugural 20 days Baltic summer 08

Oosterdam Alaska summer 07

Noordam (best so far) Eastern Med summer 06

NCL Mexico summer 05

Windjammer, Caribbean/Mexico summer 1998

Carnival Festival, Caribbean summer 1980

OhioLair

My Thanks Sir, I'll be contacting the TA today.

oldmovieguy -

Here is another reason why the airline, hotel and HAL are teaming up to provide such a good fare. The week of Aug 29 is the week before our three day Labor Day weekend (4-6 September 2010). Traditionally, this week all the the Wall Street types are on vacation so no business peple are in town. It is also the week school starts or is about to start everywhere in the US, so many families have wrapped up their vacations and are preparing for back to school.

You may find you have the plane, hotel and ship all to yourself! Go for it, realizing it is right in the middle of hurricane season. This year the hurricanes have all stayed in the Atlantic; however, the last few years the majority have been n the Carribean and the Gulf of Mexico - who knows?

Is there a risk of a hurricane? Of course, there is always a risk of something happening. But the risk is small.

We cruised the Caribbean for years and never missed a cruise. A few times we missed a port or two but never, ever had a bad cruise or dangerous cruise because of a hurricane. Hurricane season is a full six months of the year. We aren't will to stop sailing that long each year and we don't sail Alaska.... haven't sailed Europe for years.

Of course, Bermuda is not Caribbean but all hurricanes come from south of Bermuda and move north. We'd jump on the chance to have HAL sailing the Caribbean during the summer again.

Archived