International Power Adaptors

Woobstr112G

Got a quick question concrning international power adaptors. Can't find the one I bought last year in the airport in Frankfurt so it looks like I'll need to buy a new one. I was looking online just now and I see several that sell a transformer to convert the power, along with the plug. The articles also said you should buy the power converter as well as a plug. The one I bought last year was just a plug. I just needed it to plug my power strip into so I could recharge laptop, cell, Ipod, and camera. Never had any issues with it. Should I buy a converter as well....:confused::confused: I welcome the groups wide area of expertise as I really don't want to buy one if I don't need one...

Thanks For Your Replies.....:):):)

Depends on where you are going and for how long.

Cruise??? Ships have power and plugs for US standards and International standards.

Just visiting a foreign country? Maybe. For how long?

All countries are different

US standard is 110 - 120 Volts AC at 60 Hz

Europe ( for the most part) is 220 to 240 AC at 50 Hz

Some countries that I've visited in the Caribbean are 110 at 50 Hz.

Now, if just for a short trip and all I wanted to do was charge laptop or my wife use her blow dryer, the 110 50 hz worked fine. Just took a little longer and if needed the plug adapters worked just fine.

If you are traveling and the place you are staying requires 220 volts and all of your appliances are 110, then yes, you will need the power converter. Otherwise, all your appliances go up in a puff of smoke.

You can easily google or bing the country you are visiting to find electrical requirements.

As M. Frodo said ; "It depends..."

Most of the items you mentioned (cell phone, laptop, etc) use a transformer(sometimes called a brick) to convert AC to DC. Most of these are designed to accept multiple types of AC as input. Take a look at the back of the brick for the power specs... What you want to see is under the Input

Voltage section.

It should say something like 110-240VAC 50/60Hz... This would mean you are good to go with just the plug adapter; no need for a 220/110 transformer (which some cruise lines ban any way - like RCI)

Aloha,

John

Thanks for all the replies. I won't need one on the ship, just for the two days in Paris before we fly onto Venice to board the Ruby. Going to check my devices to see if they have the voltage range. If so, I'll just get the converter plug.

Thanks Again.....:):):)

Bob

jcl is correct

For example, I just "googled" (when did the word google become a verb? :confused:) electricity in Paris France.

Answer came back as 220-240

so,, I looked at the brick on my Dell laptop computer.

Under "Input" it says 100 - 240V 50/60 Hz

Therefore, I can use my laptop charger (brick) most anywhere in the world and as long as I have the right adapter, I'm OK

However, if my wife just uses an adapter for her hair dryer or the alarm clock or anything not set up with a converter or auto transformer, she will let the smoke out of the device and that's never a good thing.

Archived