Ta has offered to pay the difference on a mistake he made.....

wizard-of-roz

You do not have a relationship with this TA. The TA has a client and the end user business they work with.

Many TA's are personal friends, the OP needs to assess what this $60 really means to them. If it simply was a business relationship the OP wouldn't have asked advise (IMO). If a store over charges you $60 you expect it back immediately. The same with a "business relationship" TA.

I suspect the relationship is more though . . . thus the rub.

I think this is the best answer of all of them. It puts it back in his corner an he can either weasel out of it or do the right thing. It may be "only" $60.00 but what if it had been a lot more? He is trying to guilt you into paying for his mistake.

And I disagree. I think this is being just as passive-aggressive as the TA. I think he was highly unprofessional for trying to hold your booking hostage over a mistake he made. I would make him issue the check and relate my displeasure over his tactics in a mature, honest, and professional way. I wouldn't book with this weasel again, no matter how many times I'd booked with him before. You don't have a relationship with this guy. You conduct business, and he's doing something border-line unethical. And if you *do* have a personal relationship with him, I'd be highly offended that he was trying to leverage it to cover his rear end.

And I disagree. I think this is being just as passive-aggressive as the TA. I think he was highly unprofessional for trying to hold your booking hostage over a mistake he made. I would make him issue the check and relate my displeasure over his tactics in a mature, honest, and professional way. I wouldn't book with this weasel again, no matter how many times I'd booked with him before. You don't have a relationship with this guy. You conduct business, and he's doing something border-line unethical. And if you *do* have a personal relationship with him, I'd be highly offended that he was trying to leverage it to cover his rear end.

Borderline unethical weasel....wow. Wonder what happen if he really screwed up.

Borderline unethical weasel....wow. Wonder what happen if he really screwed up.

He already *DID* really screw up by trying to hold the booking hostage. I'm sorry, perhaps I'm the only one that hears alarm bells when I see something like that, but maybe because I've seen lesser things end in litigation.

Hey maybe your right. On the other hand maybe the guy sees the light at the end of the tunnel, it looks like the end of the tunnel but based upon all I read here, it's another train. I say offer to split it and move on. If you are going to cut him loose anyways, don't hold that over his head and then he caves and pays and you cut him loose anyway.

Before my friend was an official solo TA, she used a TA company to book the group cruises. I had the money for the final payment a few months before the final payment date, so wanted to just pay it off at that point. I sent in the form to the TA company and thought all was set.

Then the cruise line (RCCL) came out with the fuel supplement (this was when it first came out in '07), but said ppl who had already paid in full wouldn't have to pay it. I was happy because I had already paid in full - except that the TA company never submitted my payment the two months before that date! So then the cruise line charged me for the fuel supplement and the TA company refused to take responsibility and refused to pay it for me.

I was NOT happy, needless to say. I would never use that TA company again. (I am VERY glad my friend soon became a TA!)

On the other hand, if my TA friend (my best friend) had made a mistake, well, she would own up to it I know, but I would do whatever it took to help her out. If it was the same mistake as the OP's situation, I'd pay the $60. Mistakes happen and we all make them and I know my friend isn't making much from the cruiseline. If she offered to split it, I'd likely take her up on that. If she said she would pay for it, I'd keep asking if she was sure, that I understand the mistake, and that it wasn't a problem - I guess she'd be the decision-maker as to who would pay it in that case.

So, yeah, it does depend on the type of relationship the OP has with this TA. It also depends on what the exact situation is (what the $60 mistake was for), too.

Wow! Some really good advice. Thank you all so much.

FYI: There is nothing "personal" about our relationship.....I'm in L.A., he's in Texas. We've been able to work together for the past 4.5 years with 11 cruises. Over the phone/fax or email. He works for a big online agency. It's been a good "working relationship"; I've sent many friends to him and, they've booked cruises; he's made money from them.

There's no "passive-aggressive" in my whole being.....I'm a, "look at you straight in the face and tell it the way it is" kind of gal!

Which is why this has struck me so hard......I don't much like "pussy-footing" around.....cut to the chase!

I like this guy....he's very charming/hardworking and easy to deal with. He has always gotten the job done. This is a first for us and, I needed to hear from you guys, in terms of how you'd handle it......I did and, you've helped!

I especially wanted to hear from other TA's and get their input.

You disagree with me? What a shock :eek:

This is not a huge law suit that demands litigation, it is a simple agreement between two people; that one is trying to wiggle out of. Is the TA unprofessional, of course, but it is still something that the OP can handle w/o a lot of bickering. She may not have the TA as someone she wants to trust her travel arrangements with in the future, but she will have to make that discussion. I do not believe the TA is covering his rear end, he just does not want to pay the $60.00. His initial offer was made in jest, he honestly never expected the OP to accept it.

I'm make him uphold his offer.

On my very first cruise (Friends and Family) We had the TA from ----. Many many mistakes. Lost many opportunities to reduce the cost when they were still offering OBC. Settled with TA (Carnival did get involved) at her expense, at a loss for us I might add, for $75 OBC (ea cabin, 3 total). Got on board and low and behold no OBC. I was on the phone lickiddy split and she paid it. She wasn't happy and well, I'll never use her again.

You disagree with me? What a shock :eek:

I know, right, came out of left field! ;)

This is not a huge law suit that demands litigation, it is a simple agreement between two people; that one is trying to wiggle out of.

It's not a huge suit because it's "only" $60. If it was $360 it's firmly in the Small Claims Court wheelhouse.

Is the TA unprofessional, of course, but it is still something that the OP can handle w/o a lot of bickering. She may not have the TA as someone she wants to trust her travel arrangements with in the future, but she will have to make that discussion. I do not believe the TA is covering his rear end, he just does not want to pay the $60.00.

Yeah, he wants the OP to cover his rear end. ;)

His initial offer was made in jest, he honestly never expected the OP to accept it.

Honestly, I don't know if I believe that. I wasn't there, I didn't hear the exchange. But the OP was concerned enough to bring it here. I'm more concerned with the fact that he won't hand over her receipt and other documentation until the OP answers. That strikes me as really, really wrong.

I know, right, came out of left field! ;)

It's not a huge suit because it's "only" $60. If it was $360 it's firmly in the Small Claims Court wheelhouse.

Yeah, he wants the OP to cover his rear end. ;)

Honestly, I don't know if I believe that. I wasn't there, I didn't hear the exchange. But the OP was concerned enough to bring it here. I'm more concerned with the fact that he won't hand over her receipt and other documentation until the OP answers. That strikes me as really, really wrong.

OK, I do agree that the TA is acting like a complete idiot, he honestly thinks he can slink out of this and it is really, really wrong.

I personally would like to see Judge Judy get this case and do what she does best; make a fool out of the TA.

My sentiments exactly.

[COLOR=indigo][B]I have not responded to his email where he states, [I]"Before I can send the invoice I need to know if I am paying the $60.00 difference from the commission!"[/I][/B][/COLOR]
[I][COLOR=indigo][/COLOR][/I]
[COLOR=indigo][B]He also made a huge deal over the fact that he got me an "unobstructed view veranda".....from what I understand there are [U]NO[/U] obstructed veranda's onboard the Splendor.[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]I want to cool-down before I respond to him. I'll let you all know how it goes, when I'm thinking more civally!!!!![/B][/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=#4b0082][/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#4b0082]I know I'm booked, I know I have a cabin and, I know I will love my cruise.....Are there lots and lots of TA's that would love steady business? [in this economic climate] I would think everyone who's working in the travel business would love someone like me, who cruises at least twice a year and has friends and family who do so, as well![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#4b0082]I don't need my final invoice, yet.....I do have time until final payment.......It's only $60.00 but it's becoming very principle involved for me!!!!![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#4b0082]Eeeeegad! Maybe I'm overthinking this too much......:o[/COLOR][/B]

It seems you are struggling with whether or not to have a confrontation with him.

You could just say:

"Yes - the final invoice should reflect your offer to pay the difference"

or something to that effect.

It really depends if YOU want to continue a business relationship with this TA.

[quote name='wizard-of-roz'][COLOR=indigo][B]I have not responded to his email where he states, [I]"Before I can send the invoice I need to know if I am paying the $60.00 difference from the commission!"[/I][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=indigo][B]He also made a huge deal over the fact that he got me an "unobstructed view veranda".....from what I understand there are [U]NO[/U] obstructed veranda's onboard the Splendor.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=indigo][B]I want to cool-down before I respond to him. I'll let you all know how it goes, when I'm thinking more civally!!!!![/B][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=#4b0082]I know I'm booked, I know I have a cabin and, I know I will love my cruise.....Are there lots and lots of TA's that would love steady business? [in this economic climate] I would think everyone who's working in the travel business would love someone like me, who cruises at least twice a year and has friends and family who do so, as well![/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=#4b0082]I don't need my final invoice, yet.....I do have time until final payment.......It's only $60.00 but it's becoming very principle involved for me!!!!![/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=#4b0082]Eeeeegad! Maybe I'm overthinking this too much......:o[/COLOR][/B][/quote]

Perhaps you are overthinking it a bit....and letting emotions get in the way.

Ask yourself this: You go to a department store....or a grocery store. You buy 35.00 worth of "stuff", pay with a 100.00 bill, and the clerk gives you back 20.00 in change.

Would second guess anything? Would you say "Oh, what the heck, it's only 45.00"?

Probably not, you'd tell him to give you they rest......

[quote name='CapeCodCruiser']It seems you are struggling with whether or not to have a confrontation with him.

You could just say:

"Yes - the final invoice should reflect your offer to pay the difference"

or something to that effect.

It really depends if YOU want to continue a business relationship with this TA.[/quote]

[COLOR=indigo][B]Because I work.....and, I've been so involved in a project with a time constraint on it....I have not addressed my TA's last email to me [about holding-up the invoice.][/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]You are correct, I am "struggling".....he made a mistake....it's going to cost one of us $60.00 more than was originally quoted. [/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]Will I continue to do business with him? I don't know...... [/B][/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=#4b0082]Had he just eaten the $60.00 and apologized it would be a "no brainer!"[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#4b0082]I'm sitting on the fence, for now![/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='wizard-of-roz'][COLOR=indigo][B]Because I work.....and, I've been so involved in a project with a time constraint on it....I have not addressed my TA's last email to me [about holding-up the invoice.][/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]You are correct, I am "struggling".....he made a mistake....it's going to cost one of us $60.00 more than was originally quoted. [/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]
[COLOR=indigo][B]Will I continue to do business with him? I don't know...... [/B][/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=#4b0082]Had he just eaten the $60.00 and apologized it would be a "no brainer!"[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#4b0082]I'm sitting on the fence, for now![/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]

Just remember it is not about the $60.00, it is about what is right and what is wrong. There are millions of TA's out there, I have one of the very best ;). You will make the right decision, no matter what it is.

To me $60 is a lot of money. We are very careful with our vacation budgeting and $60 is my entire photo budget for our cruise. There is no way I would eat that when a TA made the mistake. If I received the same email asking if I wanted him to cover HIS mistake, I may offer to pay 1/2 if he would release the booking to either a more professional TA or to Carnival directly, and book no more cruises with him. No way would I pay the $60 in its entirety.

If I make a mistake, I pay the consequenses. I expect someone else, especially someone I have booked 11 cruises with, to do the same.

What he is doing is just BS. I would respond back with "I thought you were going to make this right, or did I just misinterpret our entire conversation?" Whether he pays it or not, I would NOT use him again. When situations arise, our true character is shown by the way we handle the conflict. He has blown it IMO.

Archived