Jade Restaurant

My BF and I will be sailing on the Navigator on Dec 5th and I have seen some beautiful pictures of Jade restaurant. When we heard that they serve sushi daily, we were thrilled, since that is our favorite choice of lunch by far on any day. Can someone tell me if that is the case, that they do serve sushi daily, plus other asian dishes...?

Also, does the Navigator offer a wine tasting at the MDR? I did one the last time i cruised (2003 Enchantment) and I loved it!

Thank you!!

Claudia

I don't know what pictures you saw, but Jade is not a restaurant. It is just the first part of the Windjammer buffet. Yes, there are different Asian dishes there and they are usually pretty good. I've never seen sushi there for lunch. I don't know about dinner. There should be a wine tasting.

We sailed the Mariner in June and I did see sushi for dinner in the Jade. I'm thinking they had it at lunch also, not positive though. Seems like I recall my son always having some on his plate. There are some other asian dishes here. It is the first section of the buffet. Maybe the ships are the same?

I liked dining in the Jade section of the Windjammer. It has a different feel than the rest of the buffet. In Jade they would bring around, we also requested if we didn't see them, yummy ice cream sundaes.

We sailed Navigator last Dec, she's a beautiful ship. Jade is the first part of the Windjammer and they offered sushi each night at dinner, plus a selection of hot dishes.

I don't recall them having an sushi out during the lunch buffet.

Not all the Voyager ships have the Jade or sushi selection. We've sailed Explorer several times and they do not have Jade, but occasionally have 1 or 2 types of sushi.

We'll be on Mariner in Jan and I see they have one...DH will be happy to get his sushi fix.

Enjoy!

With Jade and given that this is cruiseship buffet, do not expect sushi-grade fresh sashimi-type raw fish sushi (fresh salmon, yellowtail, tuna, etc.) What they do serve at Jade is what "can sit around" such as smoked salmon and imitation crab fillers (for California rolls). That's about it. It's not a large selection and as others have noted, Jade is just the first of a few buffet stations within Windjammer and if you imagine the space needed for other so-called Asian dishes, there really isn't much room to offer a lot of sushi choices. As an Asian myself, I am embarassed at what passes for "Asian-inspired", but I digress......... I hope you will find Jade to your liking!

I've always thought it was a joke and rather deceptive of RCCL to even assign "Jade" a name. It's like they're trying to increase the number of restaurants onboard in name only, to make it sound like something special and seperate when it isn't. They might as well list a "restaurant" onboard named "Garden Villa" and it's just the salad bar section of the buffet:rolleyes:

I'm not a fan of sushi, but most here who are don't report being very impressed.

I've always thought it was a joke and rather deceptive of RCCL to even assign "Jade" a name. It's like they're trying to increase the number of restaurants onboard in name only, to make it sound like something special and seperate when it isn't. They might as well list a "restaurant" onboard named "Garden Villa" and it's just the salad bar section of the buffet:rolleyes:

A agree, I've thought the same thing. However I do have to say that there have always been some really tasty choices available on the Jade Section, much better than the same-old Windjammer stuff.

Thank you all for all of the clarifications! I really appreciate it. What a bummer that they wont have sushi for lunch! I plan on eating at the MDR every night...so I guess not sushi for us on this cruise! :(

Oh well we will get out fix when we get back on land....

Anyone else knows about the wine tastings?

Thanks

is Jade not a real restaurant on the Monarch? maybe because some ships have it, they offer a similar feel by means of the buffet on other ships. i have only been on the SOS last year and I kinda look forward to checking out Jade on the Monarch next month.

Thank you all for all of the clarifications! I really appreciate it. What a bummer that they wont have sushi for lunch! I plan on eating at the MDR every night...so I guess not sushi for us on this cruise! :(

Oh well we will get out fix when we get back on land....

Anyone else knows about the wine tastings?

Thanks

Don't worry, you won't be missing much. I'm surprised that it can even pass for Sushi, and it's terrible.

is Jade not a real restaurant on the Monarch? maybe because some ships have it, they offer a similar feel by means of the buffet on other ships. i have only been on the SOS last year and I kinda look forward to checking out Jade on the Monarch next month.

Yes, Monarch is the only ship where Jade is a seperate restaurant with a seperate menu.

The sushi on most of the ships has not slept next to "real" sushi. As a previous poster put it, just California and some other veg type rolls with an occassional smoked salmon roll. For the most part, it is Ka-Ka. The stuff in our grocery stores is better, and it is only a half step above Ka-Ka. (I never typed that phrase, so I have no idea on the spelling, but you get the idea);)

Confessions of sushi snobs...

this is sushi on board.... :cool:

do not look forward to it, you will be disappointed.

I will say one thing, they do good with the preperation of the rice, thats where it ends. Actually we had a long conversation with one of the Head Kitchen crew (a very nice lady, this was on ExOS) who said RCI Doesnt have their certification or license to handle raw fish. Just relaying the info.

This is a combo of mostly veggies, one roll has imitation crab and the other that might appear to be, just possibly spicy tuna, is ham. :eek:

Persoanlly, they might as well not bother. For those who know sushi its a great disappointment. We plan accordingly and have sushi the night before we sail, each and every time!

DSC06507.jpg

Confessions of sushi snobs...

this is sushi on board.... :cool:

do not look forward to it, you will be disappointed.

I will say one thing, they do good with the preperation of the rice, thats where it ends. Actually we had a long conversation with one of the Head Kitchen crew (a very nice lady, this was on ExOS) who said RCI Doesnt have their certification or license to handle raw fish. Just relaying the info.

This is a combo of mostly veggies, one roll has imitation crab and the other that might appear to be, just possibly spicy tuna, is ham. :eek:

Persoanlly, they might as well not bother. For those who know sushi its a great disappointment. We plan accordingly and have sushi the night before we sail, each and every time!

If they do not yet have their certification or license to handle raw fish, they will soon. Oasis will have a full Japanese restaurant on board with a full and extensive sushi menu. That is reason enough to try Oasis. :D

Archived